Thinking of a pickup

cymraeg

War Hero
Hi all, looking for some advice and as per the thread title I'm thinking of getting a pickup

Now never having owned one before it's mostly just a tick in the want box.

I'm looking at 2016 to 2019 plate trucks and find myself umming and arring between a Ford ranger , hilux or l200.

Was hoping if any on here had any experiences of any of the vehicles they could share or warn to steer clear etc.....

Budget about 20k and it would be used as daily for work/ shooting truck/ haul shite to the tip /camping trips etc

Many thanks all

Word of advice: I had a pickup for a couple of years and found it very tail light, easy to lose the back end when coming out of turnings when wet, and worse when there is a light icing on the road. A former marine mate has owned F150's for ever has subsequently told me that in the Parris Island marine base piles of sand bag emplacements on the training area used to vanish in the winter months........marines chucking a couple of filled sand bags in the back of their pickups to put some weight in there to keep them gripping the road.

cymraeg

War Hero
My old trooper I currently have (part time 4wd) I'd the same in the wet. Bloody shocking if you hoof it off a roundabout in the wet.

Word of advice: I had a pickup for a couple of years and found it very tail light, easy to lose the back end when coming out of turnings when wet, and worse when there is a light icing on the road. A former marine mate has owned F150's for ever has subsequently told me that in the Parris Island marine base piles of sand bag emplacements on the training area used to vanish in the winter months........marines chucking a couple of filled sand bags in the back of their pickups to put some weight in there to keep them gripping the road.
Must be pretty heavy sandbags, you need a few hundred lbs to make a difference, been loading my truck with 400lbs every November for decades. You can buy 50lb bags here in the north called tube sand just for that purpose.

I drive a HiLux twin cab, confirm loose back end but as you said, don’t hoof it off roundabouts and hill starts in the wet.

Love mine, comfort of a car inside, throw anything in the back (has a fiberglass canopy) wet dog, supplies from Bunnings/b&q, pulls a good load and gets me anywhere I need to go, beach, 4x4 trails, work. 3l Diesel and daughter learned to drive in it, although not park it at a car park, she cannot see the corners.

Large turning circle though is a bit annoying.

I got out of a Jag XK8 convertible into my first truck. It was time to get out of the “want” into the “useful”. Since then we’ve moved into the sticks. Now it’s “need”. As long as we live here, I’ll own a truck and be grateful for it. We use the bejesus out of it.

That would be 12 years ago now that I got out of the Jag. I can’t recommend them enough. I can’t comment on European market trucks, but I doubt you’ll be disappointed.

Must be pretty heavy sandbags, you need a few hundred lbs to make a difference, been loading my truck with 400lbs every November for decades. You can buy 50lb bags here in the north called tube sand just for that purpose.

He said a couple, probably meant a good few. Gotta remember we don’t get the white stuff down here in the same quantities that you do.

I had an F250 on loan for a while last year, hated it. Every bloody time the bed was empty and I turned left, or right out of a junction it fishtailed Like it was on ball bearings.

I got out of a Jag XK8 convertible into my first truck. It was time to get out of the “want” into the “useful”. Since then we’ve moved into the sticks. Now it’s “need”. As long as we live here, I’ll own a truck and be grateful for it. We use the bejesus out of it.

That would be 12 years ago now that I got out of the Jag. I can’t recommend them enough. I can’t comment on European market trucks, but I doubt you’ll be disappointed.

I much prefer SUV’s. The reality is most stuff I schlep I can shove in the back of an SUV, if it is big stuff I get it delivered. If I really do need a larger vehicle I‘ll rent a tranny van, or pick up from Home Depot.

Ex_crab

Old-Salt
I have driven a few and, IMHO, the Navara has the best road manners. You will need to keep the rear bed covered otherwise your fuel consumption will rocket.

Are you in the European Market as the VW Amorok looks pretty good, Nissan gets good reviews as mentioned above, Mazda BT-50 gets a good following, Mitsubishi not as much although a damn site cheaper, my pal had a complete Lemon from brand new which put me off from recommending it.

Depending what you want, a lot here go for the tray rather than tub and load those aluminum tool box things on it.

I had an F250 on loan for a while last year, hated it. Every bloody time the bed was empty and I turned left, or right out of a junction it fishtailed Like it was on ball bearings.

This happens, however, it’s not happened to me in 4 years, I drive carefully in the rain, expect it and let off if I feel it lost grip when turning, pulling out or setting off, which means you are much safer anyway.

But when I first got it I was wheel spinning as I thought the previous owner must have put some oil on the tyres and I needed to rough them up!

Are you in the European Market as the VW Amorok looks pretty good, Nissan gets good reviews as mentioned above, Mazda BT-50 gets a good following, Mitsubishi not as much although a damn site cheaper, my pal had a complete Lemon from brand new which put me off from recommending it.

Depending what you want, a lot here go for the tray rather than tub and load those aluminum tool box things on it.
You are Patrick o’ Pikey and I claim my bunch of lucky heather.!

SeriesOne

Clanker
1st Ranger (2.5lt Turbo Diesel, Thunder trim) on 185,000 miles with a new rear diff the only work, other than regular servicing. Light rear end in winter but travelled all over England on dual carriage ways but mainly on arable farm in East Anglia. Cost new 11 years ago £14,000. Lots of towing up to 1.5t on and off road.

2nd Ranger (3.2lt Turbo Diesel, Wildtrack trim) on 25,000 miles also light at the back end and absolutely huge compared to the 1st Ranger. Very comfortable and well appointed. Better off road than the 1st Ranger on like for like tyres. Cost ex demonstrator 2,000 miles on clock £21,000. Towing as above.

I'm currently looking, and the Isuzu DMax is leading the pack at the moment.
Prices are high just now because of a shortage of new cars.

Teg61

Old-Salt
I tried a few before buying my Navara, as stated above it is the most civilised on the road, almost car like.
yes the back end is very light and being rear wheel drive easy to spin, but if you drive sensible it’s fine. I use mine for everything from carting the hounds at shoots, to shopping and commuting to work. It is a big beast though so you need to be aware of the length of the thing in some car parks!

philc

LE
I'm currently looking, and the Isuzu DMax is leading the pack at the moment.
Prices are high just now because of a shortage of new cars.

I have a friend, farmer who has one, very underpowered he said, he has the 1.9, maybe the 2,5 is better.

I have a friend, farmer who has one, very underpowered he said, he has the 1.9, maybe the 2,5 is better.
Thank you. Always good to hear first hand gen.

skeetstar

Old-Salt
Hi lux, great, small turning circle, good engine .. some of the other jap engines have to be regularly checked for oil level.. something to do with squirting fuel into the exhaust, don't understand how it gets into the sump, but you have to watch that the oil level don't get too high. Easier on fuel than my s2 auto disco, but told that the 3.0 auto hilux does drink fuel.
Cab is comfy and roomy.

Bad points .. load bed on the crew cab is only 1.5m, surprisingly restrictive for such a big vehicle. I did some work on the seats, and some of the fixings just rounded off at first extraction attempt, made of cheese, and soft cheese at that. That said the truck has been ultra reliable, never a problem anywhere, so it looks like they've used quality materials where it matters.. chassis, engine and transmission.
Local tip won't let me in, I have to go over the weighbridge and pay, cos its a commercial vehicle. Mine didnt come with a reversing camera, I had one fitted, I think that's a must do.
Mine is 5 years old, I run it it in 2 high, most of the time, can also select 4 high and 4 low via a selector lever, just like series land rovers. And like series Land rovers, it don't have a central diff, so transmission wind up is possible in 4wd.

Wife uses it for towing horse trailer, she says it tows really well, better than tye 110 and the disco.

Daily work, excellent
Camping, excellent
Shooting, excellent
Hauling stuff.. disco with the seats down was better.. or get the proper two seat pick up rather than the crew cab.
Taking stuff to the tip.. useless with the restrictions the councils round here apply.

He said a couple, probably meant a good few. Gotta remember we don’t get the white stuff down here in the same quantities that you do.

I had a rental F250 for a few weeks when I was working down near the border not far from Laredo, though it was a far few years ago now. I thought it was great. I drove down there from Houston and it was comfortable and stable on the long drive as well as being usable off-road on the job.
I couldn’t imagine trying to drive one round Scotland though….