Thinking about joining up but...

I was diagnosed with h pylori back in 2014 so a slightly more serious case of heartburn.
As soon as I told them that it was a blanket no.
I was told I had to get treatment, then get another test to say I was clear and then wait another year and get another test to confirm I'd been clear for the year.
Seeing as Im 33 this year it was basically the nail in the coffin for me.
Something I really want to do but seems it's not meant to be. I'm now clear of it but I'd still have to wait another year so that's at least 34.
Heartburn seems to be more serious to the military then people think.
As someone said to me once before what if it came on while you were doing something important or it made you ill?
The military don't want the risk and I can understand that.
Good luck with the appeal but I think you're fighting a losing battle

I'm a fair way along the recruitment process for 4PARA and the asthma thing has got me worried. I was diagnosed on the basis of an 'attack' I had in the detergent aisle of a supermarket when I was about 12 or 13 but never used my inhaler. I'm inclined to think it was an allergic reaction, albeit not one that's ever recurred. I'm certain I don't have asthma, I've been running sub-35min 10Ks for years and have never had any respiratory trouble.

I don't like the idea of being deceitful at any point in the process but it'd be pisser if I'm already not eligible before I get the chance to fall off the shuffle bars. Any thoughts? Am I done for before I begin? I'm well set for ADSC with all the prep I've been doing.

I'm a fair way along the recruitment process for 4PARA and the asthma thing has got me worried. I was diagnosed on the basis of an 'attack' I had in the detergent aisle of a supermarket when I was about 12 or 13 but never used my inhaler. I'm inclined to think it was an allergic reaction, albeit not one that's ever recurred. I'm certain I don't have asthma, I've been running sub-35min 10Ks for years and have never had any respiratory trouble.

I don't like the idea of being deceitful at any point in the process but it'd be pisser if I'm already not eligible before I get the chance to fall off the shuffle bars. Any thoughts? Am I done for before I begin? I'm well set for ADSC with all the prep I've been doing.

Don't lie, getting found can easily* result in a 'DOE' (defect on enlistment) , which results in getting hoofed out regardless.
Use the search function for asthma, they are very clear cut. you'll be more at risk of your allergic reaction that one 'asthma-ish' episode from a few years ago

*always used to result in DOE, things may have changed but I'd be surprised

I didn't get far past the couple threads on here where everyone replies that if you've got asthma you've no chance, but I just did a bit more digging and 4 years symptom free seems to be the official position. Looking back there's a pretty good chance I was just pissed off about being dragged around ASDA so had a bit of an asthma attack to speed up the weekly shop. It obviously never occurred to me that shenanigans would end my TA career before it started, although I did luckily have the foresight to self-medicate my schizophrenia instead of going to the doc :)

sup rec

LE
Book Reviewer
I didn't get far past the couple threads on here where everyone replies that if you've got asthma you've no chance, but I just did a bit more digging and 4 years symptom free seems to be the official position. Looking back there's a pretty good chance I was just pissed off about being dragged around ASDA so had a bit of an asthma attack to speed up the weekly shop. It obviously never occurred to me that shenanigans would end my TA career before it started, although I did luckily have the foresight to self-medicate my schizophrenia instead of going to the doc :)
Asthma is 4 years symptom AND medication free. This is mentioned about every other page on the medical questions

No issues with the asthma thing but I had to get a bone mineral density test done because of a historical fracture. Doc said it was fine and the paperwork's being processed.

Full of comedians on this site

And no I don't have asthma mate

I "ran to the doctor" with "insignificant seeming" as I had symptoms of heartburn.

I just think a 12 month deferral for symptoms of heartburn is a bit harsh.

Hopefully my appeal is brought forward to an open minded reasonable person rather than a dull, sarcastic bore like majority of the people on this site trying too hard to be funny and coming back with ridiculous nonsense.

Sometimes rules can be broke.

I'll let you all know the outcome.

Hey - I'd be really keen to know how you got on with this appeal? I'm in a similar situation only my (small) saving grace is that whilst I have Rabeprazole on my repeat list I haven't filled the prescription in years! I only had reflux symptoms as a teenager and have grown out of them and the need to take anything for it. I'm visiting my Dr on Monday (23rd) in the hopes that he can remove the meds from my repeat list and write a letter confirming I no longer have symptoms.

Last edited:
Hey - I'd be really keen to know how you got on with this appeal? I'm in a similar situation only my (small) saving grace is that whilst I have Rabeprazole on my repeat list I haven't filled the prescription in years! I only had reflux symptoms as a teenager and have grown out of them and the need to take anything for it. I'm visiting my Dr on Monday (23rd) in the hopes that he can remove the meds from my repeat list and write a letter confirming I no longer have symptoms.
As Dingerbell82 hasn't been on arrse for over two years now, I suspect that you may be waiting for some time for a response. Best get comfy bud.

As Dingerbell82 hasn't been on arrse for over two years now, I suspect that you may be waiting for some time for a response. Best get comfy bud.
Yeh I thought as much tbh but still worth putting a line out in case he gets an email and can be bothered to try and remember his password