Thinking about Joining the TA

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by weez_heez, Oct 14, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Well, I'm new here, so hello first of all!

I've showed my interest in joining my local TA and will be meeting them for the first time on Tuesday night. I'm just wondering what the recruitment stage will be like. I don't have a specific question but can anyone who has gone through the recruitment stage desbribe their experience for me? I'm joining the Infantry so fitness is one of the first things I'm working on at the moment.

2. I joined the REME TA after just under 8 years in the regs, I've not done the recruits course, so I'm not too sure what you'll get upto, but I'm sure you'll have a blast.

Just done our two week deployment to sunny Catterick - what a top bunch! (So good infact, I've just popped into me local careers office to sign back on!)

Good luck with the fitness, do it steady - don't burn yerself out!

3. I'm a recruit myself so it's still all fresh. Firstly, fitness is good, it'll make things eaiser the fitter you are. :) You've probably already heard but you need to be able to run 1.5 miles in 13:30 as an absolute worst case, but unless you're very unfit you can do that in a couple of weeks training. (I went from 15:00 down to 12:53 for 1.5 miles in just five days. 4 months later and I'm only just hitting 10:30-11:00 on a good day :)) I don't think it actually makes that much difference if you're infantry or not in terms of the fitness required - you need to carry a little more weight on the 4 mile march you'll have to do but nothing major.

You also need to be able to do 30-something pushups and 40-something situps in 2 minutes, but they need to be "Army style" ones. Nothing too arduous if you're already trying to get fit.

On the non-fitness side, I guess it depends on the unit but with ours you basically get to turn up and join in with the other recruits (Some with kit and some without) while all your paperwork/security clearance/medical/etc is sorted before you can be attested and given kit. Don't worry about the fact you're likely to be given a huge wodge of very scary official looking Army paperwork right at the start - the paperwork takes forever so even if you're in the slightest bit interested and think you might carry on, fill it in and give it back. You can always say "Sorry, not interested any more, Bye!" even after you've been attested.

If you don't do the paperwork, then you're likely to have got bored anyway and given up by the time the paperwork is processed, and you can't go on any weekends away (Apart from "Recruit Selection Weekend", which isn't mandatory anyway) until it's done.

I'm a little less sure what's next for infantry (It's different for other arms) but it basically consists of a couple of weekends of really basic training (Fitness tests, marching about, standing at attention, badges of rank etc) then (for infantry) a few more weekends away with weapons doing stuff in the field then a 2 week camp on a regular army base. (I might have that the wrong way round, most cap badges do the 2 week camp after the first two weekends away then 4 more weekends after that to "polish off" before you go on to do trade training appropriate to your unit/cap badge)

As long as you approach it with the right frame of mind and a sense of humour it's all good fun. Some bits hurt and you'll probably think "what the hell am I doing this for?" several times but there is a sense of achievement when it does all work for you and your troop. (And I can say that even only having done the first two weekends away myself so far!)
  4. Hi Weez.

The best thing to do is ask this question on Tuesday night, when you talk to the RRTT Pers. They will tell you the full process for your Brigade Region. In Scotland you can expect to do 9 w/ends at the RTC, followed by 2 weeks at Catterick(CIC).

Do not be afraid of the RRTT staff they will be glad to answer any questions. :wink:

Good Luck

5. Oh, yeah, one other thing.

They all read ARRSE, even if they deny it and don't post. Found out that this Tuesday evening in the bar after TA, when the Troop O/C mentioned that he'd accidentally gone to instead of arrse. So careful what you say on here. :)
  6. Thanks for the replies. I'll be sure to ask them everything I can remember to! However, one thing that's on my mind right now is what exactly will a infrantry soldier do once he's completed his training? Will training be a continous thing forever in the TA and if this is not the case what will a person do once he's finsihed with his training. I don't suppose there's really anything to patrol in Scotland nor any fighting so what happens to the infantry soldier once his trainings complete?
  7. Weez check your Pm's :wink: