Thinking about joining the TA, but need a little guidance

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Reserve Recruitment' started by Hedphelym, Jun 10, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hey all,
    I'm Jake. I'm 19, currently living in York following my passion as a music producer but over recent months I've been looking into joining the Army - I've been to my Local Army centre to get info and such and I've tried to find as much out about it as I can.
    And now I'm pretty solid on the fact I want to join the TA, but I'm still not really sure about what exactly happens after I send my application off onwards.
    I'm sorry for sounding like a retard here, but I'll admit I really hardly know about things like TA selection, what's required of me fitnesswise (both for selection and the kind of things you do in training) and also how basic training is worked in the TA?... things like that - Regardless of how much time I've spent in front of this screen looking. Reason being the information I do find doesn't seem to be consistent from place to place. So I'm a little confused to say the least!
    I've started exersizing and doing pressups reguarly just to condition myself for an actual training programme to come, but I mean a few years sat behind a mixing console hasnt done me any wonders fitness wise - I do admit I'm a fair way off of even thinking about passing selection.
    I've not decided on what job to go in for, as I'm not sure what I can do in the places near me (on the Army jobs website the TA centres/barracks near york come up as Infantry) so hopefully I will be able to find someone to talk to about possibilites regarding that - but the Army recruitment centre didn't seem to know much at all about the TA at all when I asked.

I know these are probably things youve read and answered countless times but any help and info would be appreciated a ton.

2. Sixty

Sixty LE Moderator Book Reviewer
    1. ARRSE Cyclists and Triathletes

Cracking on with this clicky linky and then come back if it throws up any specific questions would be a good shout.

Or contact the unit you're thinking of joining direct and go for a visit.

3. Hi Jake, get in touch with your local unit and arrange to go and have a look around. Then you can ask questions about fitness, what's on offer etc and get the answers you need. In the meantime get some good running shoes and get your fitness levels up. http://www.armyfit.mod.uk/ is a good place to start.

4. For me it went-

-Giving in application forms

-Barb test

-Medical

-Selection

It took about 6 weeks i think as i just passed selection on Sunday

Vp

5. Thanks for your help and links so far, much appreciated :)

I do have another question though, and that is what is TA selection like compared to regular?
    Is it the same things but in one day (I read that somewhere) or is it just plainly exactly the same thing over 2 days?

6. Mine was just one Day from around 7.30am to 3pm last sunday. It entailed

-Quick intro and icebreaker, 5 min talk about yerself (i volunteered to be first lol, get it over with)

-Pull ups/heaves, i managed 5

-Then used various machines to test lifting capacity and backstrength, it wrecks lol

-150m jerrycan thing

-Teamtask, usually crossing something like a minefield or an electrical grid

-1.5miler, i managed 13.30 (which is crap but hey its like my 2nd time in my life doing one) and that was with vomiting out some wheatabix :O

And i just about passed, me being a 17yr old 8stone scrawny fecker, so you should have no problems lol!

Vp

7. RP578

RP578 LE Book Reviewer

The TA selection at the ASDC has exactly the same content to the same specifications as the Regular one. Some of the tests/events may be in a different order though. For example most regular recruits will have done a BARB test at the ACIO, but as most TA recruits come via a TA Centre who often don't have their own BARB terminal, the test is done at the ASDC. Likewise the regular recruits do their medical at the ASDC, but TA candidates will have already done theirs. This is because the TA selections take place on a weekend when it costs about double to employ a physician per day.

8. The Army in York Festival......12,13th July....there should be people there to chat with, plus you can meet a few young T.A members such as myself and ask all the questions you want.

its not the exact info you were after but if you are in the York area as you say you are then you may aswell nip down for the day at imphal barracks!

see you there!

9. Again, thanks for the info guys. Been a great help already.
    And Kingburn_99, I'll definatley try and get my arse down there - thanks for that.

A quick question about push-ups and sit ups now (as im getting a little worried!)
    Basically, I said before I'm doing push ups regulary but im a pretty thin guy so the most I can do in one is 20, perhaps just over. And the last time I did any sit ups at all was about 6 years ago when I was training for high-jumping.
    Just wondering if there are any pressup/situps tests at any point? and what kind of numbers should I be looking to aim towards?

Sorry for all the questions guys, but you've been such a great help so far it's hard for me to stop :)

10. initially you wont need press-ups, sit ups
    However very early into your training you will need 44 press-ups and 50 sit ups with hands across your chest (opposing hands at each side of your neck)

sit ups should be ok
    do 3-4 sets of 10 press-ups each night and you will be banging them out before no time!

if you see someone at york that looks bored and slightly lost, thats me, feel free to chat!

11. will do!
    cheers dude :)

12. i have my selection on saturday and ive been told to practice sit ups + press ups
    but i must admit im not very good at them
    then i read up there ^^^ "Then used various machines to test lifting capacity and backstrength"
    so will i actually have to do the press ups and sit ups or just these machine tests??

13. Stayce you've left it too late to start worrying now, I remember you asking about press-ups and sit-ups months ago, if you did a few every other night you'd be more than OK by now.

It seems every unit varies a little so there's no way you'll get an answer on here, you should ask the recruiting staff stuff like this.

I would worry about your run, make sure you do that in time and don't jack on the tab and you should be OK.

14. I know I'm not really fit enough to pass selection, although yesterday I knocked 5 minutes off my 1.5 run time ( from 16.10 to 11.05 -after four weeks) but I'm not that great at all with strength and pressups and such (even though I've been doing pressups for 9 weeks now).
    Anyway, just wondering what the best thing to do is regarding my application - Should I send it off now? Or should i wait until I think I'm fit enough?

I just don't want to be in a position where they tell me to have selection and I'm still trying to get fitter, but then again I don't know how long I'll have to wait when if I do apply when I think I'm ready anyway

oh and Kingburn_99, where should I go on the 12 + 12th July? I've been asking around about it but I can't find much information on it. Thanks man :)