Thinking about joining in Nottingham, any good/bad ones?

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Reserve Recruitment' started by Forest_Fan, Jul 20, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi guys, been reading here for a while and thinking of joining up a TA centre in Nottingham so here is my background.

Joined up to regs when 17(I am 26 in Sep) and really didnt prepare enough for Infantry training and left as DOAR after being offered MD for ruptured cartlidges in ribs. I didnt want to leave MD in case it hindered me in future when I wanted to join again. So my ribs litteraly took years to heal they were in a very bad way and I signed up again when I was 21 and trained like I had never before I needed it so bad!

Anyway I lost my bottle when a date came through for selection and I doubted wether or not I could do it and I never found out. I am a trucker now and money is decent enough, just split with bird of 4 years and need a new purpose to life then just watching the footy on a Saturday and getting pissed out my tree all the time.

I would love to join the Grens again(had a fetish for drill when in cadets as a youngster) but dont know if my body would handle the training, I am currently going gym 3-5 times a week but I had a lot of excess fat to deal with which is just going now so would be a while till I was up to selection standard anyway.

I am thinking anyway now my passion has somewhat swayed so maybe TA would give me the kick *********** I need to get back into it and then I could rejoin if I decided it is what I want.

Anyway sorry for long post I would like to know if anyone here goes to or knows anything about the TA centres in Nottingham? I have heard bad things about the one in Bulwell where I used to live which is the Infantry or Artillery I cant remember off the top of my head, but I went to Yeomanry one in Carlton and it was a bag of shite(back when I was 21 though), no one gave a shit so I fooked off and went to careers office and wanted regs because I couldnt of been happy with such bad standards.

I am not that into tanks anyway so suppose joining a unit I want to will help from the start.

You all seem like good guys on here I await your advice on anything that I have said from serving or ex regs on what you think I should do.

2. msr

msr LE

Go and visit all of the units, then make up your mind.

msr

3. Thanks, problem is I will feel a right plank going for a walk around with every ****** looking at me like a mong, like the last time I went. Maybe it was because the bloke there was a nob that I had a bad time.
    I was just hoping to get a general consensus(sp) of what they are like so I have an image before I go and what to expect.

4. msr

msr LE

Why would people look at you like that?

They will more than likely rip your arm off.

msr

5. TA units in Nottingham are 73 Engr Regt, 100 Regt RA and 254 Med Regt RAMC.

254 are in Beeston with their RHQ in Cambridge and 100 Regt are in Bulwell with their RHQ in Luton which could mean a fair degree of travelling, whilst 73's RHQ is in Bilborough, Notts, with 350 Sqn in Chilwell (right beside Chilwell Barracks). Which one will suit you depends upon where you live and what you are looking for in the TA.

There is a big recruiting push on at the moment (Ex CHALLENGE EAST) but you are just too late for that, however all units are always recruiting and the normal TA recruiting process starts at regular intervals.

As MSR said, go in and have a chat - I am sure that 73 will welcome you with open arms.

Don't worry about yr phizz too much as there are many TA recruits these days who struggle to pass their one & a half-mile run first time - with a bit of maturity and the work that you are putting in at the gym I am sure that you will be ok - it will give you an aim at least.

6. Any idea what sort of trades are available in 73? what usually happens on weekends? arent they something to do with harriers?

Im ex 307

thanks

7. Hi, can anyone offer some basic advice???

I am thinking of joining 73, at Chilwell...but the sgt at my army careers office thinks i should do my basic at chesterfield (which is nearer to home) - this just doesn't make sense to me :?

...is he right?

8. msr

msr LE

Sounds a bit odd. Go down to 73 and ask them.

msr

9. join 1PWRR

10. Duty rumour (tis only a rumour - don't shoot the messenger and all that) is that they're sticking a para unit in the Nottingham area.

Anyone confirm/deny?

11. Is 254 Fd Amb not in Norwich somewhere? I think I remember somebody mentioning that, but I could be wrong.

MsG

12. any chance of one in south wales?

13. Thanks, i will. It seemed odd to train somewhere & then go somewhere else for the specifics.

:roll:

14. Theres a newly established Int Corps detachment in Notts somewhere I heard?

15. Also, the gunners in Notts whose HQ is in Luton, the HQ at Luton is Para trained to support 7 RHA, could be the para unit someone heard of?