Thinking about it

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Reserve Recruitment' started by Mass, Jul 4, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Alright chaps,

well I've been pondering over joining the TA for a bit and I'm still unsure. I was a Regular from '98 to '01 and I'm now a Firefighter, I've been wanting to get back in the "green kit" for a while, but it is quite a step to go back to it. If you get what I mean.

If the unit I potentially join, gets deployed to Afghan, what is the tour length? is it the same as a regular Battalion? or, being TA are they shortend for any reason?

These may sound like bone questions but I've been out of the fold for some time now.

Any help is appreciated. And I'm prepared for the expected shite back! :D

2. Command_doh

Command_doh LE Book Reviewer

I thought it was hard for firemen to get permission to be in the T.A., due to the nature of the job? Same way that Coppers had to get permission from the Chief to sign up. Heard some of the Brigades were very anti - T.A.

3. Its a hard line. T.A. to be honest best suites a student, unemployed or a mon fri 9-5 job. Otherwise its frustrating as hell. working shifts + socail life + T.A. = does not work long time.

working shifts the best I had was every 3rd weekend off. That meant every third weekend I had free from work was spent with the T.A. No room for outside girlfriend at all.

Dont get me wrong T.A. was best experience Ive ever had and dont regret anything. But just be prepared for having no spare time at weekends unless its bank holiday weekend.

If you can balance it out then your a winner in both worlds and I envy you. I'm sure someone on arrse said that somoe one said you can't fit in two uniforms. Its hell of a struggle but if you can do it then credit to you.

4. Command_doh

Command_doh LE Book Reviewer

Thats a good point. My working week starts on the Sunday, and I work really bizarre shift patterns, so is rare I get Friday night/Sat/Sun off to do T.A. weekends. My mate is a a copper and he has to drive up to T.A. weekends on the Friday night/Saturday morning and bomburst straight away on the Sunday afternoon to do his beat duties, and he finds it a right struggle.

5. I get what you're saying, I never really looked at it like that, but, I suppose I could give it a go?!?!

Any ideas on Operational Tour lengths?

6. 6 months. As a general rule you'd join with a Regular battalion and go out with them. Then there's training before which can be aroud 2-3 months dependant on who you go with etc and then post tour leave so you could be out for about 11 months total.

7. the_boy_syrup

the_boy_syrup LE Book Reviewer

You really have to have a year out of your civvie job
    I deployed on Telic
    It was arrive Chillwell / Grantham in Feb
    Attached to unit in March
    Deploy April return End of October return to Chilwell 1st week in November for demob
    Then potl which took it back into the following Jan (IIRC)

If you work shift which as a fireman I assume you do read what the lads above have posted
    Especially if your married

I worked shifts and some days it was a case of going on exercise sraight from nights (non sleeping)
    A couple of occasions I had to park my car near where we were training to get back to work
    I.e. up at 04:00 drive back to work for 06:00 and a 12 hour shift

My company supported my TA commitments better than I could ever had hoped however there has to come a point when you have to step badck and look at whats going on and where your loyalties lie

Unfortunetly in my case it had to be the TA that went as it was getting to the stage where I couldn't physically fit in the time and commitments any more
    It seemed a bit unfair to work all week and then do one at weekends aswell

However I will say I had a cracking time and may yet try and get back in if I can but it is a difficult thing to balance sometimes

8. Cheers chaps, appreciate the info.

The info about being deployed on ops is a massive help cheers.

Whats the score with going, trying it and leaving if, as you have said, it's too much to do in one go?

I'm not married either, but I think if I was it would make me more determined haha!

9. You can leave at any point you want. During training, it should be as simple as handing your kit in one night. After becoming fully trained - It might need or be the courteous thing to do to write a letter to your CO explaining your reasons.
    But basically put, there should be no issue in testing the water so to speak.

10. Outstanding cheers.

It would be good to get back into the green kit, but if it is as strenuouse as you guys have said, then at least there's the option of bugging out with no major dramas.

Thanks again fellas.