Thinking About Becoming An AI!

Discussion in 'OTC and ACF' started by fasterthanaspeedingbullet, Nov 14, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. The subject says it all...

Recently i've been looking into being an AI in the ACF. I've had a look on the ACF website, been sent the glossy booklet and the high-octane DVD but still have a few questions.

I've emailed the County HQ the same questions but i would also like the answers from an ARRSEr's point-of-view, here goes -

1. I'm 32, am i getting too old to be chasing kids around the woods?

2. I have previous military experience, albeit TA (seven years and one visit to the sandpit). Would i still need to attend a 'military skills' type course upon joining?

3. My job involves me being away from home for periods of time. While i'm away, my attendance would obviously suffer. Is there a minimum commitment that is expected?

Any (serious) replies welcome! :D

Cheers

FTASB

2. 1. I'm 32, am i getting too old to be chasing kids around the woods?

Nah, thats not too old. All you really need is a sense of humour.

2. I have previous military experience, albeit TA (seven years and one visit to the sandpit). Would i still need to attend a 'military skills' type course upon joining?

Previous mil experience is a real bonus, you would be a PI until you attend an AITC course (which is a basic mil skills and the MOI/working with children stuff), this then allows you to teach unsupervised.

3. My job involves me being away from home for periods of time. While i'm away, my attendance would obviously suffer. Is there a minimum commitment that is expected?

As long as your upfront about your attendance then its fine, its when you commit to attend and regularly no show that it becomes a problem, I'm sure as it is in the TA.

Its a good organisation to be in, but its by no means the army and most likely a much slower pace than the TA would have been.

Best of luck!

3. go for it
    Ches-fford

4. Is this the one-week course at Frimley?

5. Nah the aitc is a regional level course, typically run resonably locally.

The courses run at frimley are the "AI's course" and the "KGVI Course" (KG6)

6. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Do you have to be fit? Can MD ex regs with beer guts apply?

7. Here's a clue. They let me in and I'm barely alive.

Thinking of doing it then Ugly? Could always use some help mate. Mind you about a 100 mile round trip from Eastboune.

8. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

If I get a perm job in the smoke again I might consider it! It would be on the way home so to speak, kids are now 14 and 17 so I may have time soon. Not currently willing to travel to a light unit so if I stayed here it would be R sigs!
    Not sure any kit would fit though!

9. Trust me. I got kit to fit....you will.

Seriously, its worth a go. ACF takes a bit of getting used to, but it is rewarding in its own way...and a bit of a laugh.

10. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

I will consider it but only if it fits with life, my wife endured all my previous adventures and at the moment supports my shooting and dogs so I cant take the p1ss!

11. At 39 I don't find it a problem keeping up with the kids (apart from the real racing snakes) it's more a matter of the right attitude, a fair proportion of them are like the rest of the couch potatoes we are breeding at the moment, but at least they have bothered their arrses to do something other than bother old ladies on street corners, for which they get my respect as soon as they walk through the door.

As far as mil skills goes yours are likely to knock a lot of the rest of the AI's into a cocked hat, I find the biggest problem is ironing out the bad habits some of the less knowledgeable instructors have given the cadets.

Be prepared to be amazed and frustrated in equal measure (frustration mainly comes from dealing with some of the staff).

All in all it's a great organisation to be in but have a squint at the rest of the threads in the ACF forum and get a feel for what you are getting into I have found I get more grief from adults than I do from the kids. The rewards when they come are well worth waiting for seeing one of your young charges achieving things they never thought the could do is well worth the effort you put into them.

Zippy483

12. Gremlin

Gremlin LE Good Egg (charities)

You are also fucking scared of her!

Quite rightly too. ;)

13. 1. I'm 32, am i getting too old to be chasing kids around the woods?
    As long as you have the enthusiasm, energy and a degree of commitment then you are never too old!

Your previous military experience will be a bonus and should make being an AI a bit easier, however, as I understand, you will still need to attend the relevent training courses as you are now dealing with "young people" as opposed to soldiers and the courses deal with this issue as well as the military skills aspect

I should imagine that so long as you are up front about your availability, and arrange this with fellow instructors to ensure required instructor attendance at training, then it can be worked around. However, I would imagine that attendance on Annual Camp and certain weekends, ie CADSAAM, would be expected - even if not written down.

If you are keen enough to be thinking about it then do it as the ACF needs Instructors!

14. He's scared she'll put him on a diet. :D

15. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

She's tried unsuccessfully for years. The problem is with her being diagnosed diabetic she is losing weight and I am not!