Thinking about army reserve?? Anyone help?

I'm 25 and a qualified electrician and overhead linesman if I was to join the reserve would I be a sapper or would I go in at a higher rank? And can anyone tell me roughly what I would get paid as I can't get a straight answer on google, thanks

That's all I needed to know I didn't know if a sapper was like a apprentice or sumit learning the trade, but I already know it, any idea of pay roughly

If you want to make use of your trade, consider 170 (Infra Sp) Engr Gp. If you join a Field Squadron, you'll likely be given some telegraph poles and some cable and be told to make a raft.

Then again, if you go around asking AR questions in the Regular Recruiting forum, perhaps that's what you should be doing...

Wired Bandit

Old-Salt
If you want to make use of your trade, consider 170 (Infra Sp) Engr Gp. If you join a Field Squadron, you'll likely be given some telegraph poles and some cable and be told to make a raft.

Then again, if you go around asking AR questions in the Regular Recruiting forum, perhaps that's what you should be doing...

Shame this thread wasnt started with 'sorry if im posting this in the wrong place'

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

Drivers_lag

On ROPS
On ROPs
That's all I needed to know I didn't know if a sapper was like a apprentice or sumit learning the trade, but I already know it, any idea of pay roughly

You don't already know it at all. Likely as not you'll still have to learn to do it army stylee.

To make best use of your skills, 170 (Infra Sp) Engr Gp RE:
http://www.army.mod.uk/royalengineers/units/28916.aspx
In particular, 504 STRE (Power Infra)

You'll start as a Sapper. Promotion depends not only on trade qualifications but also your soldiering ability as well as leadership, commitment, loyalty, integrity, ability to communicate and so on. There'll be courses to attend though, if your civvy qualification is recognised as equivalent or superior to the military version, you may get a bye on some of the technical courses - but it'll be a couple of years before you need to worry about that.

In days of yore, civvy qualifications were a route to rapid promotion. That's not so much the case these days. That said, your civvy qualifications will be used to the full, maybe to the extent that you, as a Sapper, could be given tasks that would normally be the remit of a Staff Sergeant (something that has confused the hell out of Regulars in the past). You'll generally be used for your ability rather than your rank so get used to the feeling of being underpaid.

Pay?
http://www.army.mod.uk/documents/general/Rates_of_Pay_Army_Reserve_2014.pdf
You'll start on the princely sum of about £36 per day - yes, that's less than you'd earn before tea break on a Saturday in your civvy job. The figures shown are Lower Band. 504 are (unless it's been changed recently) on Higher Band so there's a few coppers more to go into your bank account but not a massive amount more.

I've mentioned 504 STRE. You need to be aware that they're National AR rather than Regional AR. I could write a book about the differences but I'll let you use Google instead. Just don't believe the bit about only doing 19 days training per year. It's more.

Latest Threads