Thinking about adding protein supplements to my training.

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by DMan, May 9, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hello Everyone,

I've started training for that summer body and and was considering adding supplements to my workout.

At the moment I'm exercising 4 times a week.

1 one hour run (covering 8-10km)
    1 30-40 min interval run
    2 circuit/weights sessions (press-ups, sot ups, planks, chin ups and some weight squats and bicep curls)

I have noticed that I am getting slightly quicker/stronger but it takes me forever to recover from one session to the other (and sometimes hindering my motivation to train)

I spoke to a friend in a similar situation and he said he takes a protein shake after each workout and that it helps his recovery. What would you guys recommend?

Also, my diet is OK. I don't eat junk food all the time (2/3 a month) nor do I eat really healthy.

Thanks,

DMAN.

2. :roll:

Are you a homosexualist?

3. Personally, I wouldn't say your recovery is massively improved when taking supplements. When did you start training? Just thinking it might be a help to make it progressive to start with and not jump straight into it if thats what you've done.
    Remember to do long stretches at the end of your excercise, and a decent warm down.

And make sure you do rest on rest days.

Remember though, whatever you can get out of supplements, you can get from a decent diet. More beer tokens at the end of the day.

• Like Like x 1
  4. I personally would recommend removing the word 'protein' from the title....jarrod will be all over you like a rash otherwise :D

5. Yes? Just want to improve my fitness for summer?

6. I've been following that training plan for about a month. Before that I was just playing football once a week and doing martial arts twice a week.

7. Only thing I can reccomend is to make sure you do a decent warm down with the 30 second stretches.

Apart from that don't be bone idol when it comes to doing some training, all it takes is to get the motivation to put your trainers on and next thing you're out there running. It was never supposed to be easy

8. I'm still working out 4 times a week. I just wanted to know is there is anything that could boost my recovery after each training?

9. As mentioned above supplements are not needed - a balanced diet is.You've got to eat anyway so you may as well make sure you eat well. Your body cannot store quite a few things that are in these shakes e.g. Vitamin C so you are wasting your money.

10. Fair enough.
    You summer troop then?

11. No. Not joined yet. I'm still at uni for 1 more year.

12. I'm no expert, but it seems that creatine would be more helpful than protein.

Removing the SAS badge from your avatar might not be a bad idea either...

13. Change your avatar FFS you knobjockey student ******.
    Drink plenty of WATER.
    Eat as soon as you can after training.
    Ditch the bicep curls and deadlift, deads will hit your biceps anyway, in a lot of gyms the guy with the bigest biceps is they guy who can deadlift the heaviest.
    Sleep more.

Edited to add, creatine if you are lifting decent weights may not be a bad idea, but drink plenty of water.

14. Agree with MattB that avatar of yours will cause you grief eventually.

15. Seconded on the deadlifts however I will also add to that do more compound exercise based workouts in general. A half decent whey protein from Myprotein.com or similar would be a decent addition if your diet isnt fantastic however if you can try stick to foods like chicken breast, Salmon, tuna etc combined with loads of veggies.

A six pack is generally made in the kitchen.

Oh and ditch the avatar student boy..