Think you're tough ? Try lugging this lot around for 68 years

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by dogs_bollox, Oct 19, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. A lot of old soldiers talk about having a bit of shrapnel left in them from their wartime holidays overseas but this guy might have the record.

6oz of shrapnel still in him when he died.

Weighty memento: war veteran's secret revealed after his death - Telegraph

"Mr Brown told loved ones he still had a 'bullet' in his leg and asked his grandchildren not to sit on his knee because of the pain it caused.

But when he died last week aged 94 his family had him cremated and were stunned when staff handed them back a big bag of shrapnel.

The bag contained a whopping 6oz of bomb shrapnel that he had been carrying around for 60 years. "

That had to hurt.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Screws and nails from the coffin?

• Like Like x 1
  3. So what, they think that everyone they cremate has shrapnel in them?

• Like Like x 1
  4. German AP mines were made of wood, glued together to avoid metal as much as possible. That weight of metal would have needed about ten mines and it would look different - like the bullet he complained about - so the suggestion of shrapnel is bollocks. I wonder if the crem workers gave back the gold teeth as well?

5. Not convinced with this.

Looks more like the left overs from the coffin and matey had a penchant for swallowing paperclips when he was alive.
    I thought cross head screws were an American invention and only became widely available after WWII?

• Like Like x 1
  6. You'll be asking if they don't use the hair for mattresses and glasses removed to be recycled next ;-)

Don't get me onto wedding rings !

I did wonder about all the wire and how you could move without something not piercing the skin but as it's in the paper, it MUST be true........

So what do they do after they burn you ? Do they normally remove the coffin metal bits ? I wonder if anyone's ever found anything in their loved ones ashes that could in no way have come from them ? :)

7. Q: What usually happens after the cremation is finished?
    A: All organic bone fragments and all non-consumed metal items are collected into a stainless steel cooling pan located in the lower front of the cremation chamber. All non-consumed items, such as metal from clothing, joint replacements, and dental bridgework, are divided from the cremated remains. This separation is accomplished through visual inspection as well as using a strong magnet for smaller and minute metallic objects. Items such as dental gold and silver are non-recoverable and may be commingled with the cremated remains. Remaining bone fragments are then processed in a machine to a consistent size, sealed in a plastic bag, and then placed into a cremated remains container selected by the family. Top

8. Do they remove the handles before they burn the coffin?.

9. As I understand it, they don't burn the coffin.....take you out and bung you in the oven. Seen that on you tube.....they then separate all the metal as Sunnoficarus says and then stick you in a blender. Check out you tube for some vids on it.

10. Coffins these days are quite environmentally friendly in the sense that they are usually made of chipboard with plastic handles, a veneer covering and stuck together with glue. you made find a few screws in them but certainly not that amount of metal.

So if that stuff didn't come from a German mine as claimed, it's a bit of a mystery then. If that lot was in his leg, he presumably didn't travel much because that lot would have set the metal detectors off big time.

Contrary to what some people may think, the whole lot goes in the cremator including the coffin.

11. Surely most of that is the wood staples and screws that held his coffin together?

Looks like they just handed over the usual pile of coffin metalwork that normally gets sifted out, expecting the family to root around and identify the "bullet" or "shrapnel" the old boy claimed to have in his leg.

12. Sound about right.

"But when we went to scatter his ashes we asked whether the bullet had been found and they gave us this bag full of metal.

13. Let's face it - they probably didn't know what they were looking for. Most of Joe Public thinks that bullets look like this, rather than just the bit that comes out of the end:

[​IMG]

...and that hand grenades go up with a huge gout of flame like an exploding drum of petrol.

Rodney2q

14. Shrapnel is round bullets just like musket balls. Shell fragments, the products of HE filled shell exploding are jagged fragments of many different sizes. There's nothing I can see in the pile of scrap that looks remotely like 'shrapnel' or a shell fragment.