Think you might be getting a UK State Pension ?

Boris_Johnson

ADC
DirtyBAT
Word of caution. HMForces contract out so although 100% payment record you may not get 100% pension. Go to the pension site to find out. They tell you in big font what you could be getting, in little font what you're currently on track to get.
Looks like I'm good...

Pension2.jpg

Do you have a site / phone number where I could check to see if ive paid enough stamps and what to do if I haven't ?
You can check with the DWP, but I do believe that using your NI number you can set up an account online to peer in whenever you want to check how things are.

You can call them too and have a chat. Living overseas we call them, ask our questions and get answers. They will tell you how many years worth you have paid in, how many years you still have to pay, how much it will cost you at todays rates and what your expected weekly payout will likely be at retirement.

When I left the UK my state pension was paid up with 30 years worth of contributions, then they shifted the goal posts to 35 years. I paid two or three years backdated and I am presently paying into the pot monthly for the balance and should be done next year some time.

@Bravo_Bravo should be able to inform on this bit: I believe as a squaddy you do not pay in a full NI contribution due to the military pension. You will also not receive a full NI pension as a result, my understanding is that you can top up the NI to ensure you get the full state pension.

Word of caution. HMForces contract out so although 100% payment record you may not get 100% pension. Go to the pension site to find out. They tell you in big font what you could be getting, in little font what you're currently on track to get.
Did that, large font and little font match at £181 per week which I believe is max.

Did that, large font and little font match at £181 per week which I believe is max.
Luverly juberly! :) I'm a little short, will lose about £15 a week. I can cough up circa 4000 to bring me back up to highest pension. If I live (very roughly, don't have a fag packet handy) anything more than 8 years after retirement it'll be worth it. Still undecided though as wife will get the full pension.

philc

LE
You tried to link immigration with the changes to SPA; I corrected you, as there is no such link.

The reasonable assumption was on my part.
I did no such thing, never assume anything it will make you look very foolish, which is what your doing.

Daxx

MIA
Book Reviewer
@Bravo_Bravo @Portree Kid

Why don't you two just PM each other? Spare the rest of us your continuing squabble.

As for advice on SPA - I'll see if I get to 68 first.

And as and when I do, I dare say this will be the last place I look for advice.
If you don't make it, what size boots? Just asking for a friend like.

At the time when I applied for a "State pension benefit statement", the full state pension was £155 a week or thereabouts.
I will receive £135 due to a 24 year military pension & a projected 20 year Civil service pension. Although it will be more due to the State pension increasing.
The other half also applied for & recieved back the 12 years NI for when we were in Germany to ensure she receives the full state pension.

I did no such thing, never assume anything it will make you look very foolish, which is what your doing.
My observation was perfectly reasonable.

Why else did you mention immigrants?

At the time when I applied for a "State pension benefit statement", the full state pension was £155 a week or thereabouts.
I will receive £135 due to a 24 year military pension & a projected 20 year Civil service pension. Although it will be more due to the State pension increasing.
The other half also applied for & recieved back the 12 years NI for when we were in Germany to ensure she receives the full state pension.
You should be able to top up your State Pension...

philc

LE
My observation was perfectly reasonable.

Why else did you mention immigrants?
Well done you despite no evidence you make an assumption and now despite me saying repeatably your wrong and have no reason to have made that assumption, no evidence to support that assumption you carry on with your assumption.

Despite it only being Jan you have earnt my vote as this years SPOTY.

I can understand why your a repeat winner and a target of much mirth and mockery from others.

Well done you despite no evidence you make an assumption and now despite me saying repeatably your wrong and have no reason to have made that assumption, no evidence to support that assumption you carry on with your assumption.

Despite it only being Jan you have earnt my vote as this years SPOTY.

I can understand why your a repeat winner and a target of much mirth and mockery from others.
I ask again, why did you mention immigrants in a thread started to talk about changes to the SPA?

To me its perfectly clear that you link the two - that the increase in SPA is in part caused by immigrants...

Nope. Any money currently being paid into the pot is used for those currently getting a pension, not for those who will retire in future.
That was how it all started and in all the years since no government has seriously addressed the problem of state pension funding, ideally by now we should be funding our own state pensions.
To fund the pensions of an ageing population they have simply gone short term and increased the amount of people working and therefore paying tax (in other words, our growth), this is the ponzi scheme part, eventually we will run out of room or fail to attract more people to our shores.
All governments have done is play pass the parcel with this and hope the pension crises doesn't go bang on their watch..........

Having had a look now, the government website is telling me I will get the full amount of state pension £168.80.
As I said earlier, I was told five years ago that I would get a reduced state pension due to receiving a military & civil service pension.
A problem with the website or a change of state pension rules?

Having had a look now, the government website is telling me I will get the full amount of state pension £168.80.
As I said earlier, I was told five years ago that I would get a reduced state pension due to receiving a military & civil service pension.
The latter.

Truxx

LE
Well at the risk of being thought cynical -

Trail it being raised to 75
Await outrage
Settle on 70 as it currently tops out at 68
Await slightly more muted outrage

As others have said, I very much doubt that any kind of meaningful state pension provision will exist for those currently <40.
Nail

Head

When I checked mine I had a gap where I was short by 2 years but it still predicted I was on course for the full whack as I still have a few years left to make up the short fall, it still gave me the option to "buy" these years though. I contacted them over the 2 years and after they looked into it got them put back to normal, I don't know if this is related but I also got a tax rebate shortly after, my first ever.
My advice is to check your forecast and question anything you ain't happy with........

When I checked mine I had a gap where I was short by 2 years but it still predicted I was on course for the full whack as I still have a few years left to make up the short fall, it still gave me the option to "buy" these years though. I contacted them over the 2 years and after they looked into it got them put back to normal, I don't know if this is related but I also got a tax rebate shortly after, my first ever.
My advice is to check your forecast and question anything you ain't happy with........
If you have a shortfall do not rush to make it up as you might be working for enough more years to make it up naturally.

All you would be doing is dropping it in the pot for no return.

Check it again, carefully. I looked and that's what I thought it said until I scrolled down and it told me how much I'd actually get based on the years I'd contributed. Worked out about £33 less.

Latest Threads