Think you might be getting a UK State Pension ?

There is also the Workplace Pension scheme. I anticipate that the trigger for means testing of the State Pension will be the achievement of a critical mass of people in the Workplace scheme.
Tens of millions have been auto enrolled into workplace pension schemes.

The OP is scaremongering to say the least.

As has been said its a Ponzi scheme, now less are paying in and more are wanting, cracks appear, think levels of immigration and wives contributing little or nothing, several generations of citizens who have taken and not paid a penny in contributions.

The pension scheme will just be a continuation of state welfare for the non productive, whilst the productive will be expected to make their own provision.
Dont pay NI?
You're unlikely to get a State Pension.

If you think this rise in SPA is due to immigration, not only are you talking from a bodily orifice not usually associated with conversation, but you're in for a bit of a shock...

Last edited:
What about those who are paying in AVCs? Is there a chance in future that the Government at the time will say "you do realise the 'V' bit stood for 'voluntary'? ..... That you for your contribution sucker"

I'm a little bit sceptical over how much of my AVC I'll ever see back....
AVCs are nothing to do with HMG.
They're on top of your Occupational Pension.

Two or three years ago I had a letter from the pension saying that I had paid up all my contributions and could therefore expect the full pension on reaching pension age, which had just gone up to 66.
Last year I had another letter saying that as I had joined a workplace pension scheme ( the Fire Service) and had paid reduced NI contributions, your contributions fall short so you will not receive a full state pension unless you continue working for at least a further four years.
The reason to join the occupational scheme apart from being good sense was that the government at the time said if you join a contributory pension scheme this will help the country, because then we won't need to pay you the second state pension, which will save the taxpayers money, and as a sweetener we will reduce your NI contributions accordingly, and we're all winners!.
Shits, the lot of them.
You're conflating three or four issues.
You can still get a full State Pension if you've worked enough years, have paid enough NI or top up your NI record voluntarily.

Dont pay NI?

If you think this rise in SPA is due to immigration, not only are you talking from a bodily orifice not usually associated with conversation, but you're in for a bit of a shock...

Not wholly true. NI credit is accrued if you’re in receipt of state benefits. Hence why for the 2 months I was unemployed I was encouraged to sign on, if only to keep my NI “stamp” up.

The OP is scaremongering to say the least.
Of course I am. From 2 days ago

Workers should forget about retiring in their mid-60s, economists at Credit Suisse have warned, arguing that the state pension age must rise dramatically to prevent financial disaster.

You keep your head firmly jammed where the sun don't shine.

Yes, agreed, it's why the age at which we collect our OAP has risen, but what has that got to do with "less paying in" because as I see it with more people in work then more are paying in not less!
Problem is, the pesky proles keep living longer in retirement, and not doing their Duty by popping their clogs pronto.

So more ££ required to pay more pension.

Of course I am. From 2 days ago

You keep your head firmly jammed where the sun don't shine.
One of us knows what they're talking about.

And it ain't you.

You cunningly bought an annuity quite recently, didn't you? Bet you didn't bother taking advice...

Not wholly true. NI credit is accrued if you’re in receipt of state benefits. Hence why for the 2 months I was unemployed I was encouraged to sign on, if only to keep my NI “stamp” up.
Hence my caveat..

One of us knows what they're talking about.

And it ain't you.
Right

Are you now a high level Civil Servant that deals with State Pensions ?

You cunningly bought an annuity quite recently, didn't you? Bet you didn't bother taking advice...
There wasn't anything cunning about it. I made a decision based on my personal circumstances.

I get financial advice on a yearly basis and that will probably continue until I depart this earth.

Hence my caveat..
Your caveat? I take it you refer to your comment referring to “unlikely to get state pension if you don’t pay NI”. Those who don’t pay NI contributions are, (except in very rare and exceptional circumstances) in receipt of some form of state benefit. In which case that even if unemployed, short or long term and for whatever reason, state pension will be paid upon hitting the appropriate age.

philc

LE
Dont pay NI?

What do you think will happen to those that have never contributed when they reach retirement and are no longer eligible for the benefits they have received whilst not working.

And at no time have I said the rise in SPA was due to immigration, so talking out if a body orifice right back at you.

Right

Are you now a high level Civil Servant that deals with State Pensions ?

There wasn't anything cunning about it. I made a decision based on my personal circumstances.

I get financial advice on a yearly basis and that will probably continue until I depart this earth.
I'm an IFA and I know about State Pensions. It's part of my job.

You didn't take advice when you bought your annuity, did you?

Your caveat? I take it you refer to your comment referring to “unlikely to get state pension if you don’t pay NI”. Those who don’t pay NI contributions are, (except in very rare and exceptional circumstances) in receipt of some form of state benefit. In which case that even if unemployed, short or long term and for whatever reason, state pension will be paid upon hitting the appropriate age.
Yes, that was my caveat

As has been said its a Ponzi scheme, now less are paying in and more are wanting, cracks appear, think levels of immigration and wives contributing little or nothing,
Your mention of immigrants.

Latest Threads