Think twice before leaving the Army!!!

Britain ‘facing huge job losses’

TWO in every five employers plan redundancies over the next three months, according to an influential survey to be published tomorrow. It comes as two leading business groups warn of weak business confidence and a sharp slowdown in growth.

Retailers had been very downbeat about prospects for January following a poor December, with like-for-like sales rising only 0.3%. This week’s figures will come as a relief, but the BRC is likely to warn that any strength is likely to be temporary.

This will be the big fear if the warning of many redundancies from the Chartered Institute of Personnel and Development comes true. Its winter labour market outlook, also in conjunction with KPMG, is set to show that 38% of the more than 1,500 employers surveyed plan redundancies over the next three months, with a quarter intending to let go at least 10 employees.

Although it is normal for a proportion of employers to be planning redundancies, the latest figure is sharply up on the 17% number three months ago.

“Employers’ initial reaction to talk of an economic slowdown was to hold fire and take stock of the situation,” said John Philpott, the institute’s chief economist. “But a substantial number now expect to trim their workforces.
http://business.timesonline.co.uk/tol/business/economics/article3340863.ece

ugly

LE
its right you know, a down turn is on the way and salaries will be capped, recruitment put on hold and investment stopped. Its already happening and the suppliers will feel the pinch all the way down the line. Unless you are finishing 22 years i'd consider stopping in longer!

Damn right,only 7 weeks and im redundant, factory off to Poland, they had a new one purpose built, and its producing less tan a quarter of what we did, they have already had to raise the wages so the Poles stay and dont feck off over here.

Not only that but Phillips have built basically a town for their factory so,the poles are fecking off there.

Boycott Colgate-Palmolive the Twatttss

We have had a topic like this before. As someone said 'the grass is not always greener', or words to that effect.

Be CERTAIN that you have a JOB and a HOME to go to before quitting.

The financial state of this country (GB) is parlous and much worse is yet to come. The irresponsible actions of Brown over ten years has done irreparable damage to the economy. His 'poodle' - 'Captain Darling' - will do nothing to help and will most likely make matters worse.

So-called 'New' Labour have destroyed practically every element of our nation except, praise be to God, the Monarchy and the City of London.

The City is now under serious threat in measures that are being driven by the hopeless government's efforts to keep the Left in line. When the City is sunk, then we may all be certain that the Monarchy will the next target!

I am not joking.

Perturbed said:
Yet my company is having difficulty recruiting people.
Lets see if they have kept those jobs vacancies open in a couple of months.

armchair_jihad said:
Perturbed said:
Lets see if they have kept those jobs vacancies open in a couple of months.
It has been a few years so far. We are short of people to maintain the railway. Damned if I can understand why given the high rate of pay.

People the army consider to be good workers would fill the aims of what we require.

Perturbed said:
Are you doing the recruiting yourself or has it been outsourced to a recruitment company that only puts forward those who tick all the boxes. The majority of these companies only seem to employ graduates who have no experience of real jobs and seem to only last a few months before disappearing, maybe thats because they cherry pick decent jobs and only put themselves forward.

rockhoppercrab said:
Perturbed said:

Are you doing the recruiting yourself
or has it been outsourced to a recruitment company that only puts forward those who tick all the boxes. The majority of these companies only seem to employ graduates who have no experience of real jobs and seem to only last a few months before disappearing, maybe thats because they cherry pick decent jobs and only put themselves forward.
No!. Recruitment is finally down to our HR department who seem to do everything in thier power to fail to recruit people.

Example. Someone gets interviewed and offered a job. It then takes months for the HR department to send a job offer/contract. By this time they have been done got another job.

EDIT to add: If was doing the recruiting I would have the contract in place before doing the interview. I could then hand my chosen few a contract imediately.

Its not railtrack is it? applied to them months before i was made redundant but never heard a squeak from them (maybe its because i haven't got a degree) :D

ugly

LE
NR as an employer are pants, been there done that, I'd rather have railtrack back, at least you didnt get all the Q12 and Yankisms, world class company my arrsse, want to be the best when you are a monopoly?
Bunch of cnutscnutscuntsscuntscuntscnits.
HR are basically a bunch of Know nothings scared of their own shadows.

HR are shite,in our 90 days notice,and they still try to stop people leaving for other jobs, we need you they say,well yea if you needed us,you wouldnt be fecking going to Poland.

I left 9 years ago,and I don't regret it at all.I served 12 years,and some fantastic times and some total shite times,more the the latter to be honest.
The thing is,when entering civie employment,you have to accept most of them to behave like cnuts.I spent a while with Railtrack/Network Rail and was forced to listen to their drivel on a daily basis.Anyone with a forces background would find this very hard to accept,but thats just life on civie strasser,yes?
I love the fact that I get to see my Mrs every night,and I get to sleep in my own bed.Take the rough with the smooth,its great being a civie,there is work out there for you lads,once youv'e accepted that most civie employers are full of shite,it gets a lot easier.

ugly said:
its right you know, a down turn is on the way and salaries will be capped, recruitment put on hold and investment stopped. Its already happening and the suppliers will feel the pinch all the way down the line. Unless you are finishing 22 years i'd consider stopping in longer!
Not true actually. Good quality people will always be in demand and HM Forces produce some of the finest. So have confidence in your capablities.

It’s counter-intuitive, but sell when everyone else is buying and vice versa. If you wait for the best bus you’ll have missed it.

Edited to add:

Furthermore, it used to be said that people leaving the Services usually had 3 jobs before they found their niche. Not sure whether that still applies, but regardless don't be despondent if your first couple of jobs are not what you expect. You will learn from the experience.

Don't think I ever settled down after leaving the forces.
Mind you age 40+ and you do know you are starting too get Old in Military terms.
john
It's really a young mans game.

10 years ago it was all doom and gloom..

I have been out since then, been in employment since then, and have always moved onwards and upwards in wage scale.

It is very much like the being in the Army. It is what you make of it, and no matter how much everyone on here hates civvies, you will all be one, one day!

Mind you,if i could give half the idiots show parade on my shift,I'm sure things would run a lot smoother.