Things you know about a squaddie that you don't realise you know

Reading arrse, I've seen a number of claims as to the exact etymon of NIG. No-one seems to know the exact truth as to the origin, but have adopted their own interpretation as the truth.

Edit:. That's acronyms for you.

A bit of social media effwitttery helps as well.

..I'm in my own time now....

If you know they have an armistice blazer covered in badges and non-issue medals, then you also know they've done less than 3 years more than 3 decades ago.

A while ago when 12 Flight AAC was based at RAF Wildenrath we took a couple of Gazelles over there on a “Long Navigation Exercise” (Kassler run).

We were delayed by weather so arrived at the Sgts mess too late to book in but they had left room keys for rooms in the annex. Unfortunately the annex door was locked with a key-pad and we didn’t have the code but I noticed the number 1 key was quite worn so I pressed it once and the door swung open.

A code I have used in the past is “tqnct4cwp” @CrashTestDummy any ideas what that could be?

We were delayed by weather so arrived at the Sgts mess too late to book in but they had left room keys for rooms in the annex. Unfortunately the annex door was locked with a key-pad and we didn’t have the code but I noticed the number 1 key was quite worn so I pressed it once and the door swung open.
After father_mush died mother-mush moved to a rented bungalow more suitable to her needs. The estate agent when handing over the keys said "Don't set the alarm - we don't know the reset code".

As we were moving her in, I noticed small plastic key inserted in a fag packet sized box, mounted on the wall next to the bed in the bedroom. Hmmmmmm, what's that all about I thought and removed it. Cue the alarm (old fashioned bell type) going off. Disconnecting the power to the alarm box, and the battery backup didn't stop it. We couldn't get hold of the estate agent or landlord either.

Then I noticed the digits 2 & 9 were far more worn than the others. As the house number was 29, I tried 2929.

Yup. Alarm stopped.

RigPig

War Hero
I read somewhere, it may have been in Command and Control by Eric Schlosser, that the dual keys for the US missile deterrent were to be kept in a locked combination safe. This was resisted by the military but eventually they gave in. The combination for all safes was kept to 0000.

RP.

Last edited:

Latest Threads