Things you have not had for years excluding sex

Old_Sparky_RE

Old-Salt
Dandelion and burdock pop.
1614706877825.jpeg

Morrisons do this 4%vol one which is nice and every so often they do ’guest’ soft drinks.

Where I lived we used the " Ginger Beer Plant " ....

Ma used to make ginger beer that way, but after being forced to drink gallons of it we all rebelled. And her grasp of the universal gas law wasn't great, reinforced by several explosions in the garden shed (thankfully part of an old monastery with walls two feet thick.

Where I lived we used the " Ginger Beer Plant " .... in the base of a large container was poured in a mix of sugar , ginger and yeast ... after a few days the whole lot would hubble and bubble ... I think sugar and ginger were then added regularly .... at some stage the clear liquid was carefully decanted into Pop Bottles with stone screw tops .... these were then stored somewhere cool and dark ... fermenting continued ... occasionally tops would blow off .... to drink a top would be carefully unscrewed and a fizzy drink gently poured out ... it was spicy ... the beauty was to start the next batch you cut the " Plant " in half and the process repeated ... the cut half being passed on to one of your friends
I remember my mum making one in one of my dads beer brewing tubs.

I had a bottle of Fentimans Dandelion and Burdock but a few weeks ago ... I think I instantly became more than sixty years younger ... we used to sometimes mix it with a scoop of ice cream .

Love the stuff, however lots of sugar and as I’m borderline diabetic I cut it out and moved to lemon & lime sparking water.

However, I have found Dandelion & Burdock Gin which i can drink without worrying about the carbs.

Love the stuff, however lots of sugar and as I’m borderline diabetic I cut it out and moved to lemon & lime sparking water.

However, I have found Dandelion & Burdock Gin which i can drink without worrying about the carbs.

My Bold .... thanks for that .... every day is a learning day .... something I may follow up .

SmilingKnight

Old-Salt
Proper bottle of Lucozade. Not the pap they sell now.
I can remeber the taste of something we'll not have again.

Used to absolute love Lucozade.

They've totally ruined it now. I imagine sales have dropped off loads.

We have all the fat bastards to thank who cannot be trusted to have it as a treat and not their go to drink instead of water.

My mother made ginger beer using ingredients including root ginger and sugar. It was made in a biggish glazed pot (not the sort found under the bed) and transferred into old pop bottles to mature. It was non-alcoholic, she said, but in retrospect the fact that she floated yeast on the mix might have resulted in fermentation. We never found the recipe when she died, more's the pity.
Same here, only my mum is still alive at 88, only i do remember the bottles exploding on occasions. She kept them on the window ledge in the bathroom, the coldest room in the house. No central heating or double glazing back in the 50's.

Opposite our old house out in the fens was a proper pump. Sometimes we had to pour a bucket of water down the top to prime it then crank like buggery. Filtered through silt, it was always clear. Even though it was in an old lady's garden, everyone had a right to use it.

Yokel

LE
I can remember when Wall's/Lyons Maid ice cream could be bought paper wrapped in small block and cylinder shapes. The cylinder shaped ones could be put in a cone made to its shape or an oblong shaped cone for the small blocks (if that makes sense). Alternatively, the small blocks could be placed between two flat wafers (called a slider).

View attachment 553855
There used to be large papier mache versions of the cones stood outside sweet shops.

This must have been before Cornettos and before soft serve ice cream from machines became popular. (I understand that the then young food chemist, Margaret Thatcher had a hand in squirty ice cream).

In addition to Walls and Lyons Maid, you could get El Dorado, Neilson's and Midland Counties (all also owned by J. Lyons) ice cream, although these were not so universally available and the names eventually disappeared.

Would it be as funny as I think if going for an ice cream was known as going for a Thatcher? It might cause some people to have a meltdown.

Does anyone remember Mr Kipling's apple and custard pies? Or Cadbury's Fuze? Whatever happened to them?

Does anyone remember those ice cream lollies?

Used to go shopping in Burnt Oak every Saturday with mum in 50s

Well, it's probably a little changed since then. It suffered the same Asian invasion as the rest of that part of London, except now it is also Little Romania. The Bald Faced Stag has been converted into flats.
The big Co-op department store on the corner of Stag Lane is a rundown looking Peacocks. Oh, and the trolleybuses have gone.

Well, it's probably a little changed since then. It suffered the same Asian invasion as the rest of that part of London, except now it is also Little Romania. The Bald Faced Stag has been converted into flats.
The big Co-op department store on the corner of Stag Lane is a rundown looking Peacocks. Oh, and the trolleybuses have gone.
Peacocks is closed or closing.
Hasans long gone, I wonder if it was owned by Wally Hasan's family. Unusual name, and not Asian.
The area is now known as Bantoke, due to the number of Romanians.
Oh, and the defunct Tesco on the Edgware Road is about to disappear, no doubt more flats.

ancienturion

LE
Book Reviewer
That was another brand acquired by J. Lyons & Co. They started off as an Italian mum and dad outfit in Burnt Oak NW9 (in a shop very near to where Tesco started out).

(To all you budding entrepreneurs out there, get a shop in Burnt Oak.)

Dave & Pete didn't do so well though and Dave lost his house.

ancienturion

LE
Book Reviewer
When I was a wee nipper my Grandad used to have it but he called it milk slops. I've not had it since he passed in 1980.

It was reckoned to be food for those convalescing.

Latest Threads