Things you have not had for years excluding sex

When I was a young child, I mean primary school age so close to 50 years ago, my mother and I used to make a non-alcoholic ginger "wine" that was consumed over the Christmas/New Year period. I can still remember the taste, and it was pretty fierce stuff (in my memory), but I have no recollection of how we made it.

TamH70

MIA
When I was a young child, I mean primary school age so close to 50 years ago, my mother and I used to make a non-alcoholic ginger "wine" that was consumed over the Christmas/New Year period. I can still remember the taste, and it was pretty fierce stuff (in my memory), but I have no recollection of how we made it.

Oi, stop being like me. ;)

Ginger wine, ginger wine...

You make it with this stuff:

With water and an absolute butt-load of sugar.

It was sold in little concentrated bottles in the co-op and you diluted it to your taste and stored it in lemonade bottles there was also Strawberry flavour as well

Pobs.

Did anybody else have pobs ?

Sliced white bread buttered, then cut into cubes, place in bowl, sprinkle with sugar, then pour hot milk over.
When I was a wee nipper my Grandad used to have it but he called it milk slops. I've not had it since he passed in 1980.

Dandelion and burdock pop.
I had a bottle of Fentimans Dandelion and Burdock but a few weeks ago ... I think I instantly became more than sixty years younger ... we used to sometimes mix it with a scoop of ice cream .

Oi, stop being like me. ;)

Ginger wine, ginger wine...

You make it with this stuff:

With water and an absolute butt-load of sugar.
Brilliant! I'll need to give it a go and see if I can recreate it.

When I was a wee nipper my Grandad used to have it but he called it milk slops. I've not had it since he passed in 1980.
There's a slightly richer and more interesting German version called Mohnpielen, made with bread, milk, butter, ground poppyseeds, dried fruit, nuts, honey and spice. It's more of a Christmassy thing, really.

My mother made ginger beer using ingredients including root ginger and sugar. It was made in a biggish glazed pot (not the sort found under the bed) and transferred into old pop bottles to mature. It was non-alcoholic, she said, but in retrospect the fact that she floated yeast on the mix might have resulted in fermentation. We never found the recipe when she died, more's the pity.

Diko

Old-Salt
That was another brand acquired by J. Lyons & Co. They started off as an Italian mum and dad outfit in Burnt Oak NW9 (in a shop very near to where Tesco started out).

(To all you budding entrepreneurs out there, get a shop in Burnt Oak.)
Used to go shopping in Burnt Oak every Saturday with mum in 50s

Pobs.

Did anybody else have pobs ?

Sliced white bread buttered, then cut into cubes, place in bowl, sprinkle with sugar, then pour hot milk over.

Cubed white bread, chopped boiled egg, drizzle of Bovril (it's runny in SA because of the heat), sprinkle of grated cheese and under the grill for a minute.

Mrs Slocombe

Old-Salt
My mother made ginger beer using ingredients including root ginger and sugar. It was made in a biggish glazed pot (not the sort found under the bed) and transferred into old pop bottles to mature. It was non-alcoholic, she said, but in retrospect the fact that she floated yeast on the mix might have resulted in fermentation. We never found the recipe when she died, more's the pity.
My mum made it too, left to ferment in glass pop bottles. Once we were woken in the middle of the night to the sound of explosions - I think she got the ratio wrong, and the bottles went off like grenades, splattering the walls with ginger beer and broken glass. Smelt nice though.

Where I lived we used the " Ginger Beer Plant " .... into the bottom of a large container was poured a mix of sugar , ginger and yeast then topped up with water ... after a few days the whole lot would hubble and bubble ... I think sugar and ginger were then added regularly .... at some stage the clear liquid was carefully decanted into Pop Bottles with stone screw tops .... these were then stored somewhere cool and dark ... fermenting continued ... occasionally tops would blow off .... to drink a top would be carefully unscrewed and a fizzy drink gently poured out ... it was spicy ... the beauty was to start the next batch you cut the " Plant " in half and the process repeated ... the cut half being passed on to one of your friends

Last edited: