Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
Blackjacks.
Fruit salad.
That popping candy that went mental if you swigged Pepsi with it in your gob.
Can you still ask for Blackjacks:?

After some googling I discovered Potters Malt Extract, sold in Holland Barrett. Having fought my way past the shelves of homeopathic sugar pills and memory water I bought a jar and have to say it is very similar to the stuff my Mum used to give me when a nipper.

Holland & Barret is a strange place. Half the clientele are muscle-bound body builders and the other half are anorexics seeking a means of survival without having to resort to real food.

Taking statistics to the extreme, I suppose that, on average, their shoppers represent normal frame size and weight.

Carob Pod (St John's Bread)

in the early 50's with sweets on ration and you with no money you could buy a carob pod for about a penny, that is 240 for a pound, griding away with plenty of spit you would get a vague chocolate hint.
It was commonly used as animal feed but is now coming back in fashion for us:

depositphotos_194506996-stock-photo-carob-pods-and-carob-beans.jpg

A cigarette. Can't say I miss them and can't remember what possessed me to take them up in the first place.

They did keep midges, mossies, hunger pangs and sleep at bay, though.

Giving this subject some more thought, I miss not having bo, seems as I've gotten older. I seem to be more prone to get bo for some reason. Even though I shower every day. I've never been one for having bo.