Things you have no use for, but still want.

Now I've had a moan about my Gorilla bars I've remembered a Stanley tool, which I didn't buy. It looked interesting in the store but as soon as I picked it up I realised the balance was all wrong and it would be a PITA to use. A big claw hammer and traditional wrecking bar would be more effective and a lot cheaper.

Back to the thread title "things you have no use for but still want" is a Porta Pack welding set. I first saw one of these about forty years ago and, like the Myford Lathe of my dreams, I would have used it only a handful of times. Probably an expensive way of buying gas as well in those tiny bottles!

1619132972323.png
1619133948122.png

Last edited:

Spacehopper383

War Hero
Now I've had a moan about my Gorilla bars I've remembered a Stanley tool, which I didn't buy. It looked interesting in the store but as soon as I picked it up I realised the balance was all wrong and it would be a PITA to use. A big claw hammer and traditional wrecking bar would be more effective and a lot cheaper.

Back to the thread title "things you have no use for but still want" is a Porta Pack welding set. I first saw one of these about forty years ago and, like the Myford Lathe of my dreams, I would have used it only a handful of times. Probably an expensive way of buying gas as well in those tiny bottles!

View attachment 567461View attachment 567463
I obtained an Oxi-Acet set from the back of a car that was dumped on our land along with a load of other car repair parts, the car was taken away by a scrap dealer after about six months of trying to chase the owner and the repair bits are stored in a container ready to be collected by the owner!
Thinking back that was almost 10 years ago, so I assume finders keepers.;)

Gas welding set up is virtually obsolete these days, highly dangerous gas pressures, has multiple safety issues and dangers and is of limited use compared to electric. Not worth messing with.

In theory the hoses, regs and flashbacks have a cut off date when they should be scrapped for H & S reasons. If you see such stuff at a car boot it's most likely come out of a skip .

Spacehopper383

War Hero
Gas welding set up is virtually obsolete these days, highly dangerous gas pressures, has multiple safety issues and dangers and is of limited use compared to electric. Not worth messing with.

In theory the hoses, regs and flashbacks have a cut off date when they should be scrapped for H & S reasons. If you see such stuff at a car boot it's most likely come out of a skip .
Spoil sport I was looking forward to re-living my school days brazing bits of metal together to give as Christmas presents to old relatives. Then I realised, they were all dead and I was the old bugger now.

I obtained an Oxi-Acet set from the back of a car that was dumped on our land along with a load of other car repair parts, the car was taken away by a scrap dealer after about six months of trying to chase the owner and the repair bits are stored in a container ready to be collected by the owner!
Thinking back that was almost 10 years ago, so I assume finders keepers.;)

A great way to acquire things!

Just got a Ninja this week. Steep learning curve ahead!
We’ve had a ninja for over a year now. It’s proved invaluable. Loads of stuff on YouTube about them / recipes etc. Main thing I’ve noticed is- reducing cooking time and lowering temp when following recipes cited for oven cooking.

We’ve had a ninja for over a year now. It’s proved invaluable. Loads of stuff on YouTube about them / recipes etc. Main thing I’ve noticed is- reducing cooking time and lowering temp when following recipes cited for oven cooking.
Yeh, getting there. Air fryer much better than the old “Darth Vader”. Never had a pressure cooker score but quite impressed.

Yeh, getting there. Air fryer much better than the old “Darth Vader”. Never had a pressure cooker score but quite impressed.
The air dryer mode with sliced banana using sliced banana yields quite good results. Lightly oil the grille beforehand though. Tomatoes also.

I've seen the BOC rep do a safety on site and cut the hoses with snips he carried because they were perished. They are lifed apparently.

Completely agree.
Acetylene especially is very dangerous stuff. A big thump with a hammer can start a slow dissociation inside the cylinder, which makes it go very hot then BANG. The cylinder also contains a lot of acetone, which is highly inflammable in itself.

theoriginalphantom

MIA
Book Reviewer
Completely agree.
Acetylene especially is very dangerous stuff. A big thump with a hammer can start a slow dissociation inside the cylinder, which makes it go very hot then BANG. The cylinder also contains a lot of acetone, which is highly inflammable in itself.

now I really really want a set.

Completely agree.
Cylinder stuffed with kapok fibre and filled with acetone that can absorb 225 times its own volume of C2H2 under pressure. Amazing what lurks inside grey aged heads.

Cylinder stuffed with kapok fibre and filled with acetone that can absorb 225 times its own volume of C2H2 under pressure. Amazing what lurks inside grey aged heads.
Excellent. I used to sell the stuff many years ago.

HE117

LE
now I really really want a set.
Can I tempt you with a TIG set.. you can do almost the same as a gas set, but without putting your house insurance in jeopardy, which having an acetylene bottle will certainly do.

You can get a cheapo DC TIG set that will weld steel with almost no sparks and no flammable gas. I got one for about £300 and used it for all sorts of stuff.. Prices have gone up a bit, but you can get a nice setup for about £450..

Go on.. the word you have a TIG will spread like wildfire...!

(if you have gas axe itis then look at plasma cutters...)

Slightly off track because it's something I do have a use for and arrived yesterday. I've been arson about in the garden. Library pics.

flamegun1.jpg
flamegun2.jpg

TamH70

MIA

theoriginalphantom

MIA
Book Reviewer
I miss my swingfog

Latest Threads