Things you have no use for, but still want.

Teeblerone

War Hero
The entire Axminster catalogue. I'm never going to do any welding by by god I want that portable TIG welding set with the heavy duty hoses. I actually have a mental picture of what my workshop will look like with it's forges, CNC lathe etc that i'll never ever use.
Absolutely!
Like the Mens' Sheds movement, how neat would it be to have a proper big outbuilding with aall that stuff to have a go at? Need to get up to a mates place & have a go at welding.
Even an angle grinder.., they look so very useful & dangerous..mmmmm

Teeblerone

War Hero
A proper machete. A kukri. Even a hefty billhook.
I have no intention of jungle-bashing or animal-slaughtering any time soon, but a chap *ought* to be prepared to do so...shouldn't he?

Strangely I liked that chainsaw because it is small and compact. i’d never be tempted by a big chainsaw, those things will have your fücking legs off.

padme

War Hero
I have no intention of jungle-bashing or animal-slaughtering any time soon, but a chap *ought* to be prepared to do so...shouldn't he?
Got a kukri at home, was a present to me as a thank you for taking the wives shopping when the lads were on tour

padme

War Hero
Something like this, I have a house, I have a car, I don't really have a need, place or license for this but I would luuuurve one. If I could afford it I would work 6 months and spend the other 6 months in this traveling the world
Screenshot_20210307_224841.jpg

OneTenner

LE
Book Reviewer
Knives, lots of knives - mostly bushcraft, some bigger hacking ones, some smaller discrete ones - most unused save for two outdoors ones that have been on many travels, oh, and a chainsaw - used many times for cutting fallen palm trees into usable firewood in North Africa
Despite having a rack full of kitchen knives, there's only three that get used - the Mrs. uses only two knives but different ones to me...

Something like this, I have a house, I have a car, I don't really have a need, place or license for this but I would luuuurve one. If I could afford it I would work 6 months and spend the other 6 months in this traveling the world
View attachment 555333

I nearly bought an adapted motorhome for £70k. Fortunately I have a golden rule of waiting at least 24 hours before committing to a major decision. I realised £70k is a lot of holidays, never mind the cost of upkeep and the wife having to do all the running about filling the watertank, emptying the toilet cassette etc, etc.

Works for some, not for me.

Parang. Pretty sure I saw this years ago in a ‘Commando’ book, but ever since I have wanted one..
Got to be useful in south Hampshire.

Teeblerone

War Hero
Knives, lots of knives - mostly bushcraft, some bigger hacking ones, some smaller discrete ones - most unused save for two outdoors ones that have been on many travels, oh, and a chainsaw - used many times for cutting fallen palm trees into usable firewood in North Africa
Despite having a rack full of kitchen knives, there's only three that get used - the Mrs. uses only two knives but different ones to me...
Yep! I'd like a set of global knives, if only to confirm/deny my dislike of them on envy grounds.
Favourite knives are a cheap Swibo wide blade chefs knife & ground-down breadknife. The latter gets used for everything from toast (round side) to veg prep & even the odd jointing. Lovely steel.

I nearly bought an adapted motorhome for £70k. Fortunately I have a golden rule of waiting at least 24 hours before committing to a major decision. I realised £70k is a lot of holidays, never mind the cost of upkeep and the wife having to do all the running about filling the watertank, emptying the toilet cassette etc, etc.

Works for some, not for me.
I still fancy getting a small 2 berth camper with my lump sum when I retire in 6 years.

Teeblerone

War Hero
Strangely I liked that chainsaw because it is small and compact. i’d never be tempted by a big chainsaw, those things will have your fücking legs off.
True, and with nary a pause or a stutter.
See, that little 'un..you could have it in a holster or on a lanyard, easily deployable for a casual trimming.
(Am I imagining it, or was there a film with a 'flick-chainsaw' in it? might even have been a crucifix?)

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer

padme

War Hero
I still fancy getting a small 2 berth camper with my lump sum when I retire in 6 years.
My colleague bought a motorhome if they are not using it they are renting out. If they rent it out for 6 weeks a year it pays what they have to pay off in a year. It's all done with contract, cleaning bill and insurance