Things you don't get ....... but everyone else does

Judging by the letter I got the other day I don't understand speed limit signs

Saturday Kitchen, I like, but I don't get Sunday Brunch.
Dunno why exactly. Rimmer (heee!) just doesn't seem sincere, and that other Home Counties bloke with his simpering accent. Like Twatty Henry Whoever that does the classic bike shed thingy, just seems snide.
Rimmer is a decent cook & presenter, fair enough, not my cuppa char.

And they dribble on about the news & stuff. Don't care! show me how to gut a fish, antelope, ostrich & fry a gateau instead
I'm delighted to say that I have no freaking idea what you're going on about.

Dunno why exactly. Rimmer (heee!) just doesn't seem sincere, and that other Home Counties bloke with his simpering accent. Like Twatty Henry Whoever that does the classic bike shed thingy, just seems snide.

And they dribble on about the news & stuff. Don't care! show me how to gut a fish, antelope, ostrich & fry a gateau instead
I think you've missed the point of the program. It's there to allow TL & SR to mix it with 'slebs who've got a book/film/album/whatever to promote whilst punctuating it with a bit of light cooking to allow said 'slebs to knock back a joint/gin/nose talc/whatever whilst the camera's off them.

ancienturion

LE
Book Reviewer
I think you've missed the point of the program. It's there to allow TL & SR to mix it with 'slebs who've got a book/film/album/whatever to promote whilst punctuating it with a bit of light cooking to allow said 'slebs to knock back a joint/gin/nose talc/whatever whilst the camera's off them.
I don't even get TL and SR. Is it in hexadecimal or something?

having sat through an extremely tedious meeting this week, chaired by somebody very senior - I don't get the TA/Army Reserve.

Let me qualify this - I have a huge amount of respect for the person who works all week then undertakes a military duty in their spare time, however, as an army I'm not convinced we know what to do with the Reserve. Are they an operational reserve, a local reserve to undertake local duties, a manning header tank or just paid hobby? Likewise, the numbers are unconvincing - it seems that at best effort most units are attaining less than 50% of their annual military competence rewarded with the bounty.

My assessment is that c50% of them are too old, fat, unfit, medically downgraded and will never and have never deployed, however they're on the same TACOS as those that can and do. A large element don't want to deploy, so why are they in the AR? The community engagement piece, I get, as a partial argument, but this can be undertaken by an auxiliary reserve with an enabling role - further - most of the pictures I see on FB/Tw@tter of AR undertaking CE are over 50, fat, unfit and past their best - is this really the image that we wish to portray?

So I give you this - I don't get the Army Reserve...?

We either have a proper reserve that is youthful, agile, fit, resourced and trained, actually meeting standards which is protected by appropriate legislation and ready to go and properly twinned and integrated into CFA's deployable trainset to be supported by an auxiliary reserve (that you eventually move into) made up of enablers and force generators - or we continue to muddle through as we are - at the min its a buggers muddle of both....

having sat through an extremely tedious meeting this week, chaired by somebody very senior - I don't get the TA/Army Reserve.

Let me qualify this - I have a huge amount of respect for the person who works all week then undertakes a military duty in their spare time, however, as an army I'm not convinced we know what to do with the Reserve. Are they an operational reserve, a local reserve to undertake local duties, a manning header tank or just paid hobby? Likewise, the numbers are unconvincing - it seems that at best effort most units are attaining less than 50% of their annual military competence rewarded with the bounty.

My assessment is that c50% of them are too old, fat, unfit, medically downgraded and will never and have never deployed, however they're on the same TACOS as those that can and do. A large element don't want to deploy, so why are they in the AR? The community engagement piece, I get, as a partial argument, but this can be undertaken by an auxiliary reserve with an enabling role - further - most of the pictures I see on FB/Tw@tter of AR undertaking CE are over 50, fat, unfit and past their best - is this really the image that we wish to portray?

So I give you this - I don't get the Army Reserve...?

We either have a proper reserve that is youthful, agile, fit, resourced and trained, actually meeting standards which is protected by appropriate legislation and ready to go and properly twinned and integrated into CFA's deployable trainset to be supported by an auxiliary reserve (that you eventually move into) made up of enablers and force generators - or we continue to muddle through as we are - at the min its a buggers muddle of both....
You get what you get. As an over 50 WO1, last year I left the AR thanks to back injury. Before the injury, I was the fourth fastest reservist on PFA in my unit, and the last CFT I did, I dragged a 25 year old to a pass. I wasn't unique or special; for every fat old knacker there's usually some silly old sod with more grit than sense grinding out whatever's needed. It would be great to have a unit full of youngsters, but it's not like you can press gang them.

As for what the AR can do, a lot of that is down to what they are set up to do, and how the army as a whole manages training and deployment. If you have a stab REME Bn you can't expect to have a load of Challenger 2 qual'd VMAs ready to deploy as a formed unit, if you're lucky you'll get some reccy mechs and some LR competent VMs who MIGHT be willing to do a tour.

What we have at the moment is a bugger's muddle as you say, and you rightly infer that what we have is not really what we need, nor is it possibly worth what it costs.

But without it there's even less of a pot to piss in, and if the reserves are cut do you think the money will stay in the defence budget?

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
You get what you get. As an over 50 WO1, last year I left the AR thanks to back injury. Before the injury, I was the fourth fastest reservist on PFA in my unit, and the last CFT I did, I dragged a 25 year old to a pass. I wasn't unique or special; for every fat old knacker there's usually some silly old sod with more grit than sense grinding out whatever's needed. It would be great to have a unit full of youngsters, but it's not like you can press gang them.
I quit the Army Reserve of my own accord as a fairly fit 48 year old ....full screw :)
Two years later I ran the Paris Marathon.

I also regularly overtook younger lads on the standard BFT, gym tests etc. A bunch of us went up to Grantham from all over UK for a Cpl's Cadre and did the bleep test in the gym. By the end there were two of us still going head to head, both distance runners. The other guy was maybe 20 years younger than me and went on to win Course Leader IIRC.

Binning by age is just another way for the real enemy [The Treasury] and its Quisling bastaard supporters in house to slim down the Army Reserve.

I deployed on Telic 1. As did majority of lads in my easy life REMF unit, many of whom had come over from Inf units due to wrecked knees etc.

I agree that weeding out the unfit and dead wood is a priority for the Army Reserve. But often the reservists bring skills from civvy which just don't exist in the Reg - or are in very short supply.

Example - my then OC ( late RM) worked in the old boat section of Customs service. On TELIC he proceeded to set up the only Iraqi government passport control office.
Given that we were there to operate the only deep water port in the country, which was also the entry point for fahsands of Shia pilgrims, not quite as pointless as it might seem.

Last edited:

ancienturion

LE
Book Reviewer

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
People who dress for hot weather - even when a look out the window will tell them it's going to be a cold, grey chilly 5C with a promise of sustained rain. :scratch:

Have an "informative" for letting me know that I need not bother switching the TV on when either of these programmes are on air.

I have sufficient other, more interesting and productive things to do than watch and reality TV cooking / sleb cooking programmes.