Things you don't get ....... but everyone else does

A friend on a metered supply decided to save money and the environment by hand washing his dishes. He gave up when he realised he was using more water not less.
During recent years' water restrictions here in drought hit Safferland, the facts and figures were trotted out quite often that a modern machine uses less water and power than handwashing.

Wait. What have we become? A bunch of grumpy old sods muttering about household appliances.
Now, let me do some research on the Dyson, and start a new thread

Tool

LE
During recent years' water restrictions here in drought hit Safferland, the facts and figures were trotted out quite often that a modern machine uses less water and power than handwashing.

Wait. What have we become? A bunch of grumpy old sods muttering about household appliances.
Now, let me do some research on the Dyson, and start a new thread
Dyson don't make dishwashers, silly billy*. A dishwasher should use about 6 litres of water at most. Also, the latest machines do not recommend rinsing off food - merely scraping them off. Sommat to do with the modern soaps needing dirt to cling to, and the lower temperatures the soaps are designed to run at. Think about all the adverts - "cleans, even at 30C".

*at least, I don't think they do

Dyson don't make dishwashers, silly billy*. A dishwasher should use about 6 litres of water at most. Also, the latest machines do not recommend rinsing off food - merely scraping them off. Sommat to do with the modern soaps needing dirt to cling to, and the lower temperatures the soaps are designed to run at. Think about all the adverts - "cleans, even at 30C".

*at least, I don't think they do
My sink takes bout 25 litres, just by LxWxD guestimate.
And it'd take 2 fills to do all the washing up.

Ok, so I was wrong about the dyson.
Now, is a Kenwood chef any good, or should I go for a Defy?

Tool

LE

Kenwood Chefs are not too good at washing dishes.
Apropos of nothing - the Defy brand is a modern version of the 3-legged potjie pots. Most pots were made by the Dundee and Falkirk Iron Foundry. When Seffrican industry needed a brand, DFIF merged into Defy.

My kids, and missus, will walk PAST the dishwasher and deposit their plates, cups, spoons etc in the sink. Rather than open the door and stack it.
We don't have a dishwasher, however when her majesty puts her dishes by the sink to be washed she never clears them off first.

You'll have a plate with cutlery, leftover food, crumpled up kitchen roll, hair from de-knotting the dog. and whatever else she picked up along the way.

FFS! Just slide the dregs into the bin before you stack it all up you grow bag.

How much power does one use washing by hand?

Kenwood Chefs are not too good at washing dishes.
Apropos of nothing - the Defy brand is a modern version of the 3-legged potjie pots. Most pots were made by the Dundee and Falkirk Iron Foundry. When Seffrican industry needed a brand, DFIF merged into Defy.

Wood burning stovesin the early days, weren't they?

Kirkz

LE

How much washing up do you make?
I wouldn't need two full bowls to wash up after feeding a family of 4.

How much washing up do you make?
I wouldn't need two full bowls to wash up after feeding a family of 4.
Given that you shop in skips, and most of your tablewear is polystyrene, I'm not surpised.
But seriously, a 'gig' is about 20 cups/mugs - re-using them is anathema, half a dozen small plates, 4 or more dinner plates, pots and pans and colanders and jugs, various flatware, glasses etc.
Pretty full, and I run it every other day at 10h30ish, when the sun is up, charging the solar array battery.

Kirkz

LE
Given that you shop in skips, and most of your tablewear is polystyrene, I'm not surpised.
But seriously, a 'gig' is about 20 cups/mugs - re-using them is anathema, half a dozen small plates, 4 or more dinner plates, pots and pans and colanders and jugs, various flatware, glasses etc.
Pretty full, and I run it every other day at 10h30ish, when the sun is up, charging the solar array battery.
I'd wash all that with one bowl of water.
I may get food from bins but I eat off crockery, I'm not a fcuking peasant.

Kirkz

LE
If you put dish soap in the bowl to break the food up, how do you rinse the soap-covered pots, plates etc?
I don't I just let them sit on the side until they dry.
How much detergent are you using ffs.

Latest Threads