Things you don't get ....... but everyone else does

Fair one, the term "engineer" alone is not protected, but federally "Professional Engineer" is - and how many people know the difference ?
On top of that it looks like each state has its own licencing system and some prohibit the use of "engineer" without suitable quals.

So in many cases it's a vanity title ?
I don’t think many Americans appreciate the difference between PEng and Engineer, just as the vast majority of people in the UK are unaware of what CEng is or what it represents.

In the Anglosphere, the term “Engineer” carries the connotation of someone who gets his hands dirty at work and therefore could hardly be described as a ”vanity title”. I would say that companies use the title as a suggestion that the people that hold it have technical knowledge of the product they are selling.

I work for a French company, and we don’t have anyone with the title of Sales Engineer, they are all “Sales Managers”, which is hilarious as none of them manage much more than their expenses.

I don’t think many Americans appreciate the difference between PEng and Engineer, just as the vast majority of people in the UK are unaware of what CEng is or what it represents.

In the Anglosphere, the term “Engineer” carries the connotation of someone who gets his hands dirty at work and therefore could hardly be described as a ”vanity title”. I would say that companies use the title as a suggestion that the people that hold it have technical knowledge of the product they are selling.

I work for a French company, and we don’t have anyone with the title of Sales Engineer, they are all “Sales Managers”, which is hilarious as none of them manage much more than their expenses.
Yep, I had a few managers in the Met who considered 'management' to be that of identifying individuals capable of performing tasks and functions they themselves had told senior management were doable without having the faintest concept of what it was their departments actually did.
(And every single one of them had a university degree of some description)

CharleyBourne

Old-Salt
I would very much question the idea that learning Latin provides you with an ability to understand other languages, it certainly was no help to me in gaining O' levels in Spanish and Italian and an O' and A' level in French.

If anything my big breakthrough in learning French (which helped me with the other two) was precisely when I stopped trying to hammer the language into its Latin structure (I still have no idea what hic, haec, hoc, hunc, huis whatever the other one was, actually refers to, only that I got four of the best if I couldn't recite it) and simply started speaking and reading that beautiful language as often and as freely as possible.

And as someone who taught English a long time ago I found the greatest thing I could teach my students was to try and relax when it comes to all the rules about tenses and grammar and just bloody speak the language as well and as naturally as they could. There was nothing more frustrating than watching someone freeze up afraid to speak in English because they were unsure whether they should be using the past subjunctive or the ninth conditional or a dangling imperative when describing what they did at the weekend.

As for the law, there is not a single legal concept expressed in Latin that can't be expressed in English, I suspect the continued use of Latin by m'learned friends is part of the subtle conspiracy to keep as many jobs for the old school tie boys as possible.
Just watched Sky News and they were talking about the plans to introduce Latin to state schools. Great. No problem with that. How about getting every fcuker to speak English properly first?

Edited to add the question mark before the slagging started.

Last edited:
No but the legal principles as expressed in Latin are understood by the speakers of many languages.
That's nice, but English Common Law isn't supposed to be designed to accommodate speakers of other languages, it's supposed to be for, you know, common English people, and if you dress up simple legal concepts that can be expressed perfectly clearly in English in a language only a very select few people understand you are effectively turning the practice of the law into an elite closed shop.

Why do lorries wait until they're on the motorway before arranging to have their tyre changed.

Only Fools And Horses. It wasn't funny or original, the characters weren't "lovable" and yet people who should know better fawn over it - particularly when one of the cast karks it - as if it were the modern equivalent of Shakespeare, when it was simply the BBC sneering at the working class through the tired and hackneyed formula of "sitcom". Even its most "hilarious clip" owes everything to Buster Keaton's gags sixty years earlier.

Only Fools And Horses. It wasn't funny or original, the characters weren't "lovable" and yet people who should know better fawn over it - particularly when one of the cast karks it - as if it were the modern equivalent of Shakespeare, when it was simply the BBC sneering at the working class through the tired and hackneyed formula of "sitcom". Even its most "hilarious clip" owes everything to Buster Keaton's gags sixty years earlier.
Made me laugh

Lighten up you miserable old twonk, its not meant to be taken seriously, its a bit of light hearted fun, don't try and analyse it, its not Kafka or Becket, Its two losers making the best they can with their lives. As for your barbed comments on the BBC, who cares, The population of the UK overwhelmingly voted OFAH one of the best comedy's, simply by its viewing figures. From kings to paupers, it was enjoyed by all,............... except you!
Have a happy retirement ;)

Very much a Curate's Egg.
Like much offered by the BBC.

Lighten up you miserable old twonk, its not meant to be taken seriously, its a bit of light hearted fun, don't try and analyse it, its not Kafka or Becket, Its two losers making the best they can with their lives. As for your barbed comments on the BBC, who cares, The population of the UK overwhelmingly voted OFAH one of the best comedy's, simply by its viewing figures. From kings to paupers, it was enjoyed by all,............... except you!
Have a happy retirement ;)

From your previous cheeky chirpy cockernee dotard ramblings, I would have bet cash money you being a big fan.

Grownup_Rafbrat

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
From your previous cheeky chirpy cockernee dotard ramblings, I would have bet cash money you being a big fan.
I never understood it or found it funny either. David Jason and Nicholas Lyndhurst have both done much better, funnier and better-written work.

I enjoy the program, like all others it made me laugh, nothing more. It done exactly as it said on the tin, "COMEDY" (I'm very easy to please) :p

late edit:- I never was a cockney, i am- was a Londoner, now up here in middle England.

Cockney:- Perceived description. Anyone born within the sound of St Mary-le-bow church bells in cheapside, Within the 7 gates of the city of london,..... the square mile.

Aldgate
Aldersgate
Bishopsgate.
Cripplegate.
Moorgate.
Newgate.
Ludgate.
"Every days a school day on Arrse" ;)

Last edited:
I enjoy the program, like all others it made me laugh, nothing more. It done exactly as it said on the tin, "COMEDY" (I'm very easy to please) :p

late edit:- I never was a cockney, i am- was a Londoner, now up here in middle England.

Cockney:- Perceived description. Anyone born within the sound of St Mary-le-bow church bells in cheapside, Within the 7 gates of the city of london,..... the square mile.

Aldgate
Aldersgate
Bishopsgate.
Cripplegate.
Moorgate.
Newgate.
Ludgate.

Meh.

You all sound the same to me.

Site Admin

Old-Salt

Aldgate
Aldersgate
Bishopsgate.
Cripplegate.
Moorgate.
Newgate.
Ludgate.

Yeah thanks for the history lesson, but how many people have you stabbed...?

Latest Threads