Things you don't get ....... but everyone else does

I have been hearing people (mostly lazy 'educators' (and other spackoids who should know better) telling us that Latin (and for the same reasons Greek if you understand what I mean) is a dead language since I was at primary school.
This, I knew even then, was utter bollox as they were and are universal languages in so many professions such as law, medicine, taxonomy and other fields despite the efforts of barbarians.
Who speaks Latin? No one apart from a handful of weirdos who study Classics in the original language, Latin teachers and people showing off (there is some overlap between those groups).

Using Latin and Ancient Greek phrases is not the same as speaking the language. I understand the root words in photograph and get a direct translation as 'drawing a picture using light' but to claim I speak Ancient Greek on that basis would be lunacy. Basic etymology isn't the same as fluency in a language.

Learning Latin grammar as a basis for understanding modern languages is also not the same as speaking Latin, the same way that just because I can string together a couple of ropey sentences in French doesn't mean I'm a French speaker. QED (another nice example).

ancienturion

LE
Book Reviewer
Not really.
Quod Erat Demonstratum? Loosely - "I have said it and shown it", a less literal version being "I said it and here's the reason/proof why I'm right". I can say all that despite quite definitely not speaking Latin.

Standby for someone who actually knows to correct me in 3, 2, 1...

knowing a bit of Latin/Greek is interesting, looking at words like 'tele vision' and all the legal jargon, scientific names etc.
BUT! Quite pointless now we have interweb searches. I don't se the intellectual value either - isn't it mainly learning by rote?
Though maybe 'the classics' and 'PPE' is a useful dickwit indicator?

CharleyBourne

Old-Salt
Quod Erat Demonstratum? Loosely - "I have said it and shown it", a less literal version being "I said it and here's the reason/proof why I'm right". I can say all that despite quite definitely not speaking Latin.

Manuel Walt.
1627595587990.png

Who speaks Latin? No one apart from a handful of weirdos who study Classics in the original language, Latin teachers and people showing off (there is some overlap between those groups).

Using Latin and Ancient Greek phrases is not the same as speaking the language. I understand the root words in photograph and get a direct translation as 'drawing a picture using light' but to claim I speak Ancient Greek on that basis would be lunacy. Basic etymology isn't the same as fluency in a language.

Learning Latin grammar as a basis for understanding modern languages is also not the same as speaking Latin, the same way that just because I can string together a couple of ropey sentences in French doesn't mean I'm a French speaker. QED (another nice example).
I had a t-shirt with the Latin phrase "Ne Te Confundant Illegitimi" on the front.

Kirkz

LE
I had a t-shirt with the Latin phrase "Ne Te Confundant Illegitimi" on the front.
They did though didn't they?
Short arse!

Missed my point by some distance. Rather like Peter Cook speaking 'Latin like native'.

Missed my point by some distance. Rather like Peter Cook speaking 'Latin like native'.
Apologies. What did you mean by "they were and are universal languages in so many professions such as law, medicine, taxonomy and other fields"?

Ipso facto, ergo elk.

CharleyBourne

Old-Salt
I'm quite happy at 6 foot tall, then again, I'm tiny compared to my little boy, he's 6'8"!!! XD
I'm 5'10"ish (in heels) and a girl at work being clever in front of everyone asked if I'd ever wanted to be a bit bigger.

"Yes" I replied, "And I wouldn't mind being a few inches taller as well".

Did she blush.

Latest Threads