Things you don't get ....... but everyone else does

Oh I don’t know. Latin is a dead language. Nobody, but nobody speaks it. Yet those that can read/write and translate it have demonstrated an ability to comprehend an alien subject and master it.

Thus when Bernard is put on a new project, Sir Humphrey would have some confidence that he could at least grasp the core issues. As in fact the “real” Bernard and Sir Humphrey played out many times.

You can’t teach “how to be a civil servant” on a degree course, so you must look for other vehicles as an assessment. Just like if you are bombing an obscure feature in a Lancaster, which doesn’t show up on the H2S, you figure out how far it is from a known/visible feature and you’re off to the Dresden races.
Yes, Minister.

Oh I don’t know. Latin is a dead language. Nobody, but nobody speaks it. Yet those that can read/write and translate it have demonstrated an ability to comprehend an alien subject and master it.

Thus when Bernard is put on a new project, Sir Humphrey would have some confidence that he could at least grasp the core issues. As in fact the “real” Bernard and Sir Humphrey played out many times.

You can’t teach “how to be a civil servant” on a degree course, so you must look for other vehicles as an assessment. Just like if you are bombing an obscure feature in a Lancaster, which doesn’t show up on the H2S, you figure out how far it is from a known/visible feature and you’re off to the Dresden races.
"Timeo Danaos et dona ferentes", which you'll recall, is usually and somewhat inaccurately translated as "Beware of Greeks bearing gifts". Or doubtless you would have recalled had you not attended the LSE.

"Timeo Danaos et dona ferentes", which you'll recall, is usually and somewhat inaccurately translated as "Beware of Greeks bearing gifts". Or doubtless you would have recalled had you not attended the LSE.

Let’s be realistic. I attended De Montfort University Leicester Poly briefly until I got pleurisy. Couldn’t finish the year, and with the best of intentions to go back ended up attending 8 Signal Regiment :)

It’s all Greek to me :)

Yokel

LE

Viewers of Yes, Minister may recall an episode in which a constituency MP wants to speak to the Minister about a chemical company that wants to build a plant in her constituency. It will produce compounds for industry, but she does not know what a compound is. Sir Humphrey does not know either - and does not know what to tell the Minister.

Can you say that has not happened in real life?

Viewers of Yes, Minister may recall an episode in which a constituency MP wants to speak to the Minister about a chemical company that wants to build a plant in her constituency. It will produce compounds for industry, but she does not know what a compound is. Sir Humphrey does not know either - and does not know what to tell the Minister.

The writers had a mole inside No. 10, so very likely.

Of course not. It probably happens every week, possibly every day even. But it’s a bit pointless insisting on a Chemical Engineering degree to solve that problem, when the next one is a bus station and the one after that a supermarket, and the one after that an airport.

It’s like my job - I am a sales engineer in telecom. There isn’t a degree, qualification or definite career path to obtain or follow that universally qualifies a candidate into the role. You could have a PhD in optoelectronics, be a CCIE (Cisco’s top dogs), or have spent your entire life installing fiber. Any of those would be fine, but if you can’t talk to people, you will not make it as a sales engineer. Every customer is different, their requirements are different, the locations are different, and of necessity, the solution we design for them will be different.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Of course not. It probably happens every week, possibly every day even. But it’s a bit pointless insisting on a Chemical Engineering degree to solve that problem, when the next one is a bus station and the one after that a supermarket, and the one after that an airport.

It’s like my job - I am a sales engineer in telecom. There isn’t a degree, qualification or definite career path to obtain or follow that universally qualifies a candidate into the role. You could have a PhD in optoelectronics, be a CCIE (Cisco’s top dogs), or have spent your entire life installing fiber. Any of those would be fine, but if you can’t talk to people, you will not make it as a sales engineer. Every customer is different, their requirements are different, the locations are different, and of necessity, the solution we design for them will be different.

Will freely admit I am not a rich private dentist due to my proven inability to "upsell" to patients

Will freely admit I am not a rich private dentist due to my proven inability to "upsell" to patients
I'm an Engineer. At one company where I ran a mixed department of Software and Electronics Engineers, I once got a bollocking from a director for asking job candidates to give me a short presentation of their career rather then me have to drag it out of them. He thought this was inappropriate as Engineers "aren't required to do presentations". At the very next meeting that involved him, I was asked by the MD to prepare a presentation on why I thought something had failed in testing. I looked over at the director who at least had the presence of mind to examine his shoes.

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer

What does a sales engineer do ?

Yokel

LE

You should not need a degree in Chemistry or Chemical Engineering to know what a compound is, it should be covered in secondary education, before GCSE. @Ortholith might confirm. However, in the old days, even before getting to O level age, you went either down an arts route or a Maths and Science one. The preference for the Arts, like the assumption that the most important thing kids do at school is sport, is a strange legacy of the malaise British and Western society fell into during Victorian times.

You would hope that a civil service department had people with diverse academic backgrounds.

You should not need a degree in Chemistry or Chemical Engineering to know what a compound is, it should be covered in secondary education, before GCSE. @Ortholith might confirm. However, in the old days, even before getting to O level age, you went either down an arts route or a Maths and Science one. The preference for the Arts, like the assumption that the most important thing kids do at school is sport, is a strange legacy of the malaise British and Western society fell into during Victorian times.

You would hope that a civil service department had people with diverse academic backgrounds.
They do: Latin, Greek, History of Art, Ancient History, PPE, Literature, I dare say there's even or two with Divinity.

Yes of course, but in the (fictitious) example given, they didn’t. Mind you, I would strongly suspect that even today, many young people might struggle with defining a compound.

Latest Threads