Things you don't get ....... but everyone else does

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer

Kirkz

LE
The only Shakespeare I ever really enjoyed, was that movie version of 'The Merchant of Venice'. Otherwise, it is dire, tedious, conceited literary onanism.

Then again I'm pretty good at sums, so it may be a brain hemisphere thing.
A tale of two cities was first released in two parts in two different newspapers.
It was The Bicester Times It was the Worcester Times.

No mate I didn't order an Uber.

Last edited:
He stepped straight out of a Python sketch.

2346.jpg
It’s no wonder his work was bad, looking at those glasses I’d be surprised if he could see past the end of his nose. Let alone see what he was writing!

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
I get mine off the top shelf. You are thinking about the wrinkled copy you found behind that bush in the park.....
I can still stick the pages together on the top shelf without taking the mags down.

Yokel

LE
Clearly you are a bunch of philistines and do not appreciate the art of classic literature. This brings me to another point. Why are things like classical works still seen as an ideal vehicle for teaching reading and English language skills? Because someone said so once upon a time.

The education related threads on here are just the same. People bemoan the fact that schools are not exactly like the were in the old days. It must drive the likes of @Ortholith and @Nimbus mad.

Last edited:

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
Clearly you are a bunch of philistines and do not appreciate the art of classic literature. This brings me to another point. Why are things like classical works still seen as an ideal vehicle for teaching reading and English language skills? Because someone said so once upon a time.

The education related threads on here are just the same. People bemoan the fact that schools are not exactly like the were in the old days. It must madden the likes of @Ortholith and @Nimbus mad.
If you think that’s bad, some people on this very site believe that the ability to recite Homer’s Iliad in ancient Greek from memory is the ideal vehicle to be Prime Minister of the country.

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer

Yokel

LE
If you think that’s bad, some people on this very site believe that the ability to recite Homer’s Iliad in ancient Greek from memory is the ideal vehicle to be Prime Minister of the country.

I can recite many of the witticisms of Homer Simpson* - do I stand a chance?

Typically 'The Classics' were the preferred subject for Civil Service types - not much good when you have to try to decide between industrial strategies x and y, or negotiate major deals.

*If I could say just a few words, I'd be a better public speaker.

I can recite many of the witticisms of Homer Simpson* - do I stand a chance?

Typically 'The Classics' were the preferred subject for Civil Service types - not much good when you have to try to decide between industrial strategies x and y, or negotiate major deals.

*If I could say just a few words, I'd be a better public speaker.

Oh I don’t know. Latin is a dead language. Nobody, but nobody speaks it. Yet those that can read/write and translate it have demonstrated an ability to comprehend an alien subject and master it.

Thus when Bernard is put on a new project, Sir Humphrey would have some confidence that he could at least grasp the core issues. As in fact the “real” Bernard and Sir Humphrey played out many times.

You can’t teach “how to be a civil servant” on a degree course, so you must look for other vehicles as an assessment. Just like if you are bombing an obscure feature in a Lancaster, which doesn’t show up on the H2S, you figure out how far it is from a known/visible feature and you’re off to the Dresden races.

Latest Threads