Things you don't get ....... but everyone else does

I don't get why it's now a thing that teachers get showered with gifts by their class at the end of the year. My sister teaches infants and today has been their last day of term, and she's got bottles of wine, chocolates and all sorts from the pupils. Whilst I'm sure it's nice for the teachers to get parting thank you gifts for the summer holidays, when I was at school you just left and never saw them again!
I was cartwheeling through the gate when I left school, both times. I hated it. Certainly at my secondary school the staff couldn't wait to see the back of us and vice versa. They were more interested in left wing politics than actually doing their job. Wonder if that still happens..?

I don't get why it's now a thing that teachers get showered with gifts by their class at the end of the year. My sister teaches infants and today has been their last day of term, and she's got bottles of wine, chocolates and all sorts from the pupils. Whilst I'm sure it's nice for the teachers to get parting thank you gifts for the summer holidays, when I was at school you just left and never saw them again!
It gets less common as the little shits get older, possibly because the presents are eaten and drunk by the kids instead. Either that or the parents are less keen on buying presents for people who keep calling them to complain about their horrible offspring.

Last edited:

Yokel

LE
It gets less common as the little shits get older, possibly because the presents are eaten and drunk by the kids instead or the parents are less keen on buying presents for people who keep calling them to complain about their horrible offspring.

Given that you teach Chemistry, would you trust any lotion or soap that one of your class had made themselves?

Thanks for the drain cleaner Bill - it worked even better than the stuff from B&Q.

But it was homemade shower gel, Sir.

Last edited:
Mrs D is a classroom assistant. She got a couple of Costa cards - she doesn't really frequent the place. Chocolate which she doesn't eat and alcohol which she very rarely touches. The booze went to Devexette 2, the posh chocks to 1 and the bars of chocolate to me.

Kirkz

LE
What sane person gives children alcohol to take to school? FFS.

After you've been teaching for a while, you realise that most parents caregivers are not on the sanity spectrum.

wheel

LE
Accepting gifts would breach most companies Bribery and Corruption Policies not to mention the drugs and alcohol policy. Booze not allowed at work even if you are not actually consuming it.

My wife's a teacher too. Every year she comes home with loads of stuff on the last day. She doesn't drink coffee, but still gets coffee gift cards. Last year one of the kids' Dads owned a distillery. No booze, but all kinds of hats, t-shirts etc.

It's nice for her to be appreciated by the kids. The gifts that mean the most are handmade cards.

Accepting gifts would breach most companies Bribery and Corruption Policies not to mention the drugs and alcohol policy. Booze not allowed at work even if you are not actually consuming it.

What a depressing place the world has become. Granted kids and alcohol not that great a mix, but when a kid has the reading age of 7 when my wife gets him aged 10, and has a reading age of 12 when he leaves her at 11, the "thank you' card makes it all worthwhile.

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
My wife's a teacher too. Every year she comes home with loads of stuff on the last day. She doesn't drink coffee, but still gets coffee gift cards. Last year one of the kids' Dads owned a distillery. No booze, but all kinds of hats, t-shirts etc.

It's nice for her to be appreciated by the kids. The gifts that mean the most are handmade cards.
Miserable shite not sending at least some miniatures from the distillery, but not everyone sends kit from their work.
I'd appreciate some decent vleis from the butcher's lad or a slab from the oke who works at the bottle shop.
Come to that, do any of the mothers work in Ann Summers ?

Miserable shite not sending at least some miniatures from the distillery, but not everyone sends kit from their work.
I'd appreciate some decent vleis from the butcher's lad or a slab from the oke who works at the bottle shop.
Come to that, do any of the mothers work in Ann Summers ?

Well I was hoping for a case of ammo :)

wheel

LE
What a depressing place the world has become. Granted kids and alcohol not that great a mix, but when a kid has the reading age of 7 when my wife gets him aged 10, and has a reading age of 12 when he leaves her at 11, the "thank you' card makes it all worthwhile.
Employees handbooks are now a sad reflection on today’s society.

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
There was an interesting alcohol policy in Customs and Excise, a bottom drawer bottle was mandatory!
Most large Custom houses had their own bar, smaller offices a local pub.

Standby for a spot of armchair psychology.

What is sexually desirable is an interesting example of nature / nurture. There are some aspects that are hardwired, some that are picked up totally from learned experiences and (probably most) are a combination of the two. Sexual identity (straight, gay, bi etc.) is hardwired and you don't get a say in it. Being a foot fetishist or into bondage is probably more towards the nurture / learned response end of the spectrum.

Stockings etc. are a cultural thing and likely to be a conditioned reponse. My guess would be:
Stocking were originally functional - women wore them because they made legs look better or were part of uniforms.
'Forbidden' things automatically become attractive. Since blokes weren't meant to see women only wearing stockings, getting a woman to the stage where you saw her wearing just stockings meant you were almost certainly getting your leg over. Ergo, stockings = sex.
Once that has happened, seeing other women in stockings automatically becomes arousing as it triggers that association and you think "I might get to stick my cock in her".
That becomes a standard cultural viewpoint and from then on younger lads discovering they like girls find that sexual pictures = stockings and that link is perpetuated.

Similar associations happen in different cultures, the standard example being really fat women in some tribes. Being fat = having lots of food = rich. Given multiple generations being fat becomes aspirational for the girls and sexually attractive for the boys (and ScaleyAlbereto obviously). Tits are sexualised in Western countries as they are hidden away and 'forbidden', therefore getting your grubby little mitts on them is a big deal. In cultures where women walk about topless all the time it's not sexual.
'Giggle band'.

Friday afternoon in Armagh on WIS, we'd get a call from Bessbrook CID, compulsory attendance required. We get there, bottom drawer of filing cabinet opened, 2 bottles of spirits and assorted mixers placed on desk, weren't allowed to leave until the bottles were empty! XD

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
There was an interesting alcohol policy in Customs and Excise, a bottom drawer bottle was mandatory!
Most large Custom houses had their own bar, smaller offices a local pub.
Father_mush was a union official in C&E in Liverpool the early 70s' He was frequently called out to attend to someone who was discovered absolutely shitfaced in the bogs after 'testing' the over-strength rum that was imported. One of his achievements before he jacked it in, the union work that is, was to convince the management to treat staff alcoholism as an occupational injury.

Simples. Next time, ask for a 'Person of Colour coffee'. You can then specify what strength by origin latitude of said PoC.
That ain’t gonna work bro.

You‘ll get a white coffee because it’ll be made by a dreadlocked and heavily made up bloke called LeShawna from East Acton, now residing in Brixton (to show solidarity) who’s family go back to the Norman Conquest and have never bred outside the postcode, never mind outside the race. Stan, as he was formerly known, has clocked that the more boxes he ticks the more of a protected species he becomes.

Whilst the coffee machine goes through more technical evolutions than a moon shot (and takes about the same time), Stan will make small talk about how he’s got a degree in Business Studies from University College Watford but can’t get a job running the IMF because, well, he doesn’t know why but anyway, the gig economy is where it’s at, zero hours is unethical, Boris Grrr, that’ll be £9 and would you like a FreeTrade cinnamon roll?

Latest Threads