Things you don't get ....... but everyone else does

StBob072

LE
Book Reviewer
Or worse they will serve Sweet Potato Fries. :puker:
They don't sound so bad. I guess it depends how they're cooked and what you have with them?

Are you sure you should be listening to the Archers? I find it is just a bit too much “on message” these days.
Has Ed Grundy transitioned yet?

Haven't had R4 on for yonks now for obvious reasons but have the horrible feeling I'll switch it on in the car and the Archers storyline will just make me want to steer into a bridge abutment.

They don't sound so bad. I guess it depends how they're cooked and what you have with them?
They sound interesting, and the first few are "ooh they're different" and a minute or two later you wonder why you're eating sweetened, overcooked, soggy chips.

Edited to add: your taste may differ but I don't do sweet with savoury. Watching people slather maple syrup on caster sugar dusted pancakes with eggs and bacon has taken a long time to understand.

Last edited:
Has Ed Grundy transitioned yet?

Haven't had R4 on for yonks now for obvious reasons but have the horrible feeling I'll switch it on in the car and the Archers storyline will just make me want to steer into a bridge abutment.
Radio 4 used to be a preset Stn in our cars no longer so it would have to be a deliberate act. No bridge abutments for me.

ETA no idea about Ed Grundy.

Kirkz

LE
They sound interesting, and the first few are "ooh they're different" and a minute or two later you wonder why you're eating sweetened, overcooked, soggy chips.

Edited to add: your taste may differ but I don't do sweet with savoury. Watching people slather maple syrup on caster sugar dusted pancakes with eggs and bacon has taken a long time to understand.
I don't mind sweet potatoe fries but they're not something I'd have a lot of.
I will never ever understand why anyone would make pancakes and bacon and then cover it with maple syrup and cream. Absolutely gopping. Quite why tSeptics want everything they eat covered in more spices than an Asian supermarket and then soak in enough sugar to frost a mountain is beyond me.

Chester is up it's own arse, mainly because all the scousers and mancunians that wouldn't be seen dead going out in their own city, descend on Chester because so many millionaires living in surrounding villages

The best bit about Chester is that it doesn't have the junkies, deprivation or pigeon shouters of Wrexham, but for a night out it's pretentious and up itself, but people flock to it on the off chance of seeing some Z list celebrity
Said it before, I’ll say it again. The most disappointing town in the U.K. is Chester. Utter heckhole.
And yes, I’ve been to Cheltenham.

The Vic in Beeston (known to probably everyone who's passed through Chilwell's hallowed gates) is a top rated ale pub that does fantastic food. But never any chips. Roasties occasionally, dauphinoise, fondant, parmentier, yes. But no chips. I once asked the landlord why not and he said he could never stand the smell of a deep fat fryer and therefore no. His pub, his rules. It's always packed out so he must be on to something.

He doesn't have a jukebox, muzak, pool table or fruit machines either. No mobile phone calls too (go and have your pointless conversation outside if you must)

What he does have is log fires, really good bar snacks too and always 10-15 well kept ales on tap, 40+ single malts, and a short but very drinkable wine list.
Sounds OK beerwise. Bit pretentious with potato offerings ( don’t get me wrong , I love pommes dauphinois). No fish and chips on fridays? Tell the landlord he’s missing out on beer battered fish on a Friday dinnertime.
He could run the deep fat fryer in the yard, and hold his nose.

ancienturion

LE
Book Reviewer
I don't mind sweet potatoe fries but they're not something I'd have a lot of.
I will never ever understand why anyone would make pancakes and bacon and then cover it with maple syrup and cream. Absolutely gopping. Quite why tSeptics want everything they eat covered in more spices than an Asian supermarket and then soak in enough sugar to frost a mountain is beyond me.
If you want something sugary, those little circular breakfast pancakes, a pair of those with a wad of bacon in the middle go down a treat, just add brown or red sauce to taste, no maple syrup needed as all the sugary goodness are in the pancakes and the sauce

Said it before, I’ll say it again. The most disappointing town in the U.K. is Chester. Utter heckhole.
And yes, I’ve been to Cheltenham.
It's full of new money in the surrounding area, lots of footballers wives, and the odd minted rugby players wive even, the boozers are pretentious, expensive and the food there is decidedly meh, would rather go to Conwy on a night out but that's being ruined increasingly by the Chester crowd going there on a night out

Whilst on a course, I joined a fellow student for dinner at his plush country hotel (I was in Travelodge...) as he was on a BBC expense account. I ordered a side of 'Chunky Chips' to go with my meal. They were very chunky, and came served in a little chrome miniature bucket, and were £7.00 for FIVE CHIPS!!!!
£7.00
gets you a portion of Maris Piper chips, a fishcake, a pea fritter and a plain sausage in my local chip emporium.

Curry sauce is extra!
That would get you a 500g rump steak, sadza with shiba and a beer in these parts.

Grownup_Rafbrat

LE
Book Reviewer
I like them, with chilli flakes sprinkled on them as you cook them.

Each to their own...

It's full of new money in the surrounding area, lots of footballers wives, and the odd minted rugby players wive even, the boozers are pretentious, expensive and the food there is decidedly meh, would rather go to Conwy on a night out but that's being ruined increasingly by the Chester crowd going there on a night out
Moved from N Wales 20 years ago (yes I lived in Rhyl). Chester was the place for chav Scousers on the lash. Llandudno was declining further, Conwy had something going (possibly).
This may sound odd, but having boozed the length of the Clwyd valley, the best place in N Wales to have a beer (and a variety of) was Llangollen.

Grownup_Rafbrat

LE
Book Reviewer
Moved from N Wales 20 years ago (yes I lived in Rhyl). Chester was the place for chav Scousers on the lash. Llandudno was declining further, Conwy had something going (possibly).
This may sound odd, but having boozed the length of the Clwyd valley, the best place in N Wales to have a beer (and a variety of) was Llangollen.
Shhh. Don't tell everyone. Tell them it's Abersoch. Keep Llangollen lovely.

Grownup_Rafbrat

LE
Book Reviewer
Chester considers itself to be the Ascot of the North on race days.

Arrsers would love the crowds of drunken ladies shrieking in the pubs and bars, losing their shoes and puking in the gutters.

You can't buy class like that.

Try the risotto using orzo instead of rice. Not bad at all.
Try finding orzo up here since that twat Jamie Oliver told everyone about it, I am back to making risotto with rice FFS

Latest Threads