Things you don't get ....... but everyone else does

Places (eateries) that say they don’t do chips. Chips as a foodstuff must be the most recognisable thing on the planet. But they don’t to them. That means ‘won’t’ and is twaddle.
There used to a pub in Chester years ago that ‘famously’ wouldn’t do them. *******. I’m not that well-travelled but I think most parts of the world have potatoes and friers.
The Vic in Beeston (known to probably everyone who's passed through Chilwell's hallowed gates) is a top rated ale pub that does fantastic food. But never any chips. Roasties occasionally, dauphinoise, fondant, parmentier, yes. But no chips. I once asked the landlord why not and he said he could never stand the smell of a deep fat fryer and therefore no. His pub, his rules. It's always packed out so he must be on to something.

He doesn't have a jukebox, muzak, pool table or fruit machines either. No mobile phone calls too (go and have your pointless conversation outside if you must)

What he does have is log fires, really good bar snacks too and always 10-15 well kept ales on tap, 40+ single malts, and a short but very drinkable wine list.

The Vic in Beeston (known to probably everyone who's passed through Chilwell's hallowed gates) is a top rated ale pub that does fantastic food. But never any chips. Roasties occasionally, dauphinoise, fondant, parmentier, yes. But no chips. I once asked the landlord why not and he said he could never stand the smell of a deep fat fryer and therefore no. His pub, his rules. It's always packed out so he must be on to something.

He doesn't have a jukebox, muzak, pool table or fruit machines either. No mobile phone calls too (go and have your pointless conversation outside if you must)

What he does have is log fires, really good bar snacks too and always 10-15 well kept ales on tap, 40+ single malts, and a short but very drinkable wine list.

My type of drinking establishment.

There should be a bucket of water on the bar, once somebodies mobile phone rings etc, it should be ripped off them and given a bath.

Don't disturb me now I am reading the broadsheets and listening to the Archers.

Signed; BORING OLD TW&T from Milton Keynes. (Would have been Tonbridge Wells but I could not afford the price of the properties down there).

There should be a bucket of water on the bar, once somebodies mobile phone rings etc, it should be ripped off them and given a bath.

Signed; BORING OLD TW&T from Milton Keynes. (Would have been Tonbridge Wells but I could not afford the price of the properties down there).
Are you sure you should be listening to the Archers? I find it is just a bit too much “on message” these days.

ancienturion

LE
Book Reviewer
It used to be Mrs Dales Diary but that not been broadcast-ed on the radio since the late 60's/early 70's.
Ah, now I know what pushed Dick Barton off the dial.

(Actually it wasn't because I gather the Daring Dexters was the reason for Dick Barton's demise in the late 40s/early 50s.)

If it rings he has the option to silence it or take it outside.

If he chooses to answer it inside, it gets a dunking. Brews Brothers' Rules when having a pint with mates.

I've been toying with the idea of mobile phone jammers at the brewery beer garden. Signal is pretty crap to begin with and you'll still see folks wander out to the parking lot to make a call. We have wireless card readers for payment and even they require a bit of gymnastic ability to get a signal at times, so probably not worth jamming the entire garden.

Yokel

LE
I never understand the way some people seem to reject all new developments and progress because "it was different in the good old days". Similarly the modern curse of change for the sake out change, without any attempt to investigate possible consequences.

People think knowing nothing about something makes them experts and be confident of their own ideas.

Last edited:

Point of order. Tonbridge and Royal Tunbridge Wells are entirely separate towns.

Went to a friends place in the French Pyrenees last year. Idyllic mountain village, stank of dogshit. It was everywhere.
Same around here
Apparently you only need to pick up dog shit if you have a large dog - owners of small dogs are permitted to leave shit everywhere.

Seriously the chance of someone clearing up after the dog is inversely proportional to the size of the dog

Worst ever is Le Lavandou, near St Tropez.

Those Frog and Rosbif pub in Paris was a great place in the 1990s to meet nubile French women who had a thing for English men. I asked one why once and she said 'They are all so cultured with very nice manners. And very industrious, they work hard.' She'd obviously never been to Jaywick.

Liverpool, Croydon, Rhyl..............

Kirkz

LE
I agree.

Not having sand and shells really helps
I don't like risotto either, just a variation on savoury rice pudding.
I think people invented those dishes to use up rice.

I've known a couple of pubs that are too posh to do chips (with one even being as ridiculous to do them, but only with fish). Both struggled and eventually had to relent and give the punters what they wanted. I think it took a change of ownership for one of them.
Whilst on a course, I joined a fellow student for dinner at his plush country hotel (I was in Travelodge...) as he was on a BBC expense account. I ordered a side of 'Chunky Chips' to go with my meal. They were very chunky, and came served in a little chrome miniature bucket, and were £7.00 for FIVE CHIPS!!!!
£7.00
gets you a portion of Maris Piper chips, a fishcake, a pea fritter and a plain sausage in my local chip emporium.

Curry sauce is extra!

vinniethemanxcat

On ROPS
On ROPs
I don't like risotto either, just a variation on savoury rice pudding.
I think people invented those dishes to use up rice.

That's the whole point, though.........

In the Med countries that have known little else but war, you have what you can keep in the store cupboard, like rice or pasta, the odd egg or bit of cheese, wild herbs or snails, then any cheap crap like bits of meat or tiddler fish left at the end of market day.

No recipes, just anything you could throw together........

Kirkz

LE
That's the whole point, though.........

In the Med countries that have known little else but war, you have what you can keep in the store cupboard, like rice or pasta, the odd egg or bit of cheese, wild herbs or snails, then any cheap crap like bits of meat or tiddler fish left at the end of market day.

No recipes, just anything you could throw together........
But we're not short of ingredients any more so why eat crap.

45x45

LE
I like Two-stroke motorbikes, mainly the low CC versions and Sinclair C5s. What I don't get is cake with almonds.

Be careful what you wish for. Next time you go, they'll have invented some poncey way to do fried potatoes, and called them "drizzle au starch" or something and charge you 25 quid a pop and serve them in a child's potty. Or something.

@theoriginalphantom
Or worse they will serve Sweet Potato Fries. :puker:

Latest Threads