Things we didn't know we wanted

It has been many years since I used one but this morning a colleague gave me a cracking slide rule, I hadn't realised just how much I'd missed using one, not only does it look great on my desk but I will use it regularly from now on, like the thread title says, I didn't know I wanted one until I was given that this morning, what unexpected gift have you received that you didn't realise you wanted?

A divorce

I receieved one of these for my birthday (chosen by the grandchildren)...

It currently resides on the mantlepiece...

I receieved one of these for my birthday (chosen by the grandchildren)...

It currently resides on the mantlepiece...
Don't you just love how kids minds work .

" What shall we get for Grandad ? "
""I know, one of those Japanese Starwars troopers ! "
" Brilliant idea, he'll love one of them !"

Bless them.

I once got a Birthday card and taped inside it was a Hospital Appointment Card for a Vasectomy, what made it special was that all seventeen of the kids had signed it bless their heartless souls .

It has been many years since I used one but this morning a colleague gave me a cracking slide rule, I hadn't realised just how much I'd missed using one, not only does it look great on my desk but I will use it regularly from now on, like the thread title says, I didn't know I wanted one until I was given that this morning, what unexpected gift have you received that you didn't realise you wanted?
A slide rule would be as much of an impenetrable mystery to me now as it was when I was still at school.

Are you one of those people who think that there is nothing nicer than snuggling up in bed with a copy of Napier's Logarithm Tables?

I have a feeling that we wouldn't get on.

A slide rule would be as much of an impenetrable mystery to me now as it was when I was still at school.

Are you one of those people who think that there is nothing nicer than snuggling up in bed with a copy of Napier's Logarithm Tables?

Not at all, I can use a slide rule nearly as fast as some can use a calculator, just choice, it’s a tool of the trade

A Fleshlight !

615s5lzlL1L._SY355_.jpg

Pros
Does not fucking whinge
Awesome skills every time
Does not require buying shoes, handbags or Jewellery

Cons
Batteries are expensive nowadays
Shit at cooking Tea

Do you know that you can get a slide rule app for your smartphone? I'm not sure why.

Must admit though, I've always wanted a circular slide rule.

mad_collie

Old-Salt
Dysentery. Saved me going on a diet after Xmas.

It must be more than 20 years since I was given a Lego Technic JCB. I've since bought a compressor to fit in it and just about worked out how to fit it in.

But I'm still waiting for someone to give me a box of sand. :(

Ah, slide rules...

I was given one of these to use on day one of my first ever job. My task was to work out the efficiency of a private power station given the amount of oil and coal burned and the electricity and steam generated.

6E5BFFA4-3070-4D25-8DFE-C46B16A1582B.jpeg

Do I need to add that it was a looooong time ago.

Offa

War Hero

Ah, logarithms. As a schoolboy living in the Cotswolds, we remembered the common log of two was the same as Mandy Rice Davies's personal telephone number (3010) at a local exchange. IIRC she managed a pub.

Ah, slide rules...

I was given one of these to use on day one of my first ever job. My task was to work out the efficiency of a private power station given the amount of oil and coal burned and the electricity and steam generated.

View attachment 367447

Do I need to add that it was a looooong time ago.
That would have them scratching their heads on Antiques Roadshow.

Latest Threads