Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Things to do in Chicago?

I'm working in Chicago for a week or so at the end of June and after any ideas of things to do and places to eat.
We're renting an apartment near the Navy Pier and already have the Art Institute lined up as well as an L train ride but am after some more suggestions if anyone has any?
Given we've just been given some prices for the exhibition hall facilities which made us choke any decent ideas would be greatfully accepted.
As an idea of the costs these clowns are after, find below the internet costs for a single stand. For four days:

chicagointernet.JPG

And no, those aren't typos. The joy of a heavily unionised venue. Come back ExCEL, all is forgiven!

River architectural tour. Sounds daft, but a great way to get a feel for the development of the city.

Sunny side up for breakfast. Loads of good but expensive steak places (Morton’s etc), Shaws for seafood. Tavern on Rush for drinks. Ginos East for Chicago deep dish and interesting graffiti.

Joe’s on Broadway is a good place to grab a drink, just an old fashioned Chicago bar with cheap booze and friendly patrons, no bells and whistles. Only thing is don’t order a drink that involves the barman thinking, fancy mixed drinks are not exactly their forté, and hipsters aren’t welcome....

I'm working in Chicago for a week or so at the end of June and after any ideas of things to do and places to eat.
We're renting an apartment near the Navy Pier and already have the Art Institute lined up as well as an L train ride but am after some more suggestions if anyone has any?
Given we've just been given some prices for the exhibition hall facilities which made us choke any decent ideas would be greatfully accepted.
As an idea of the costs these clowns are after, find below the internet costs for a single stand. For four days:

View attachment 335589

And no, those aren't typos. The joy of a heavily unionised venue. Come back ExCEL, all is forgiven!

Cant you buy a cellphone from one of the providers and use a mobile hotspot? How much data/speed do you need?

New $40/month unlimited cell phone plan runs on Verizon’s network

And deep dish pizza at numero unos is a must do. The U505 submarine is supposed to be interesting, didnt get to see it myself.

Original pancake house is a great way to blow your waist line completely...

Looks like my post was lost, so here goes again. River architectural tour is a must. Oak Park for the Frank Lloyd Wright home and studio (needs booking). If you fancy some exercise, you can hire bikes from Navy Pier and ride for miles along Lakeside. We always used to eat one evening at schmick & McCormick, a fish restaurant about one block west 3/4 way up North Michigan Avenue. If Blues is your thing, Buddy Guy’s

Looks like my post was lost, so here goes again.

Mine's gone too, but you post has pretty much covered it. Oak Park is easily accessible via the L-train and in addition to FLR's studio, a walk around the neighbourhood will reveal about 20 other houses and public buildings he designed. End of June might be a bit early for trying for a swim from one of the city beaches.