Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Things that irritate me

Got a new neighbour now.

Apparently incense sticks have to be burning 24 hrs a day, a bird feeder hung up for every single bird within 5 miles and the entire garden covered in solar lights until its visible from the international cnuting space station.

Slaughter squirrels on his lawn, hold their little tails in a tight grip, bite their heads off and eat them like an ice cream.

...While maintaining eye contact and stroking your groin with the free hand.

Further to my last, after struggling to get the telly down 't shop yesterday, it's now back home, with three new backlights and all seems to be working fine.

I got a deal on the repair cost though the two guys who run the shop will be having a fight over it on Monday - one of the owners quoted 120 quid and the other 70. And the first one said that there'd be no way it would be ready today, and quoted a Tuesday possibility.

Being a nice guy, and also Scottish, I phoned the shop like I'd been asked to on the shop's actual landline number, instead of the mobile one that's on the webpage, got the second owner this time, and he said the telly was fine, the bill would be seventy quid, and he'd deliver it to my door on the way back home for free.

As the shop owners are also both Scottish, expect an argument between the two owners on Monday morning over the outstanding fifty quid.

Further to my last, after struggling to get the telly down 't shop yesterday, it's now back home, with three new backlights and all seems to be working fine.

I got a deal on the repair cost though the two guys who run the shop will be having a fight over it on Monday - one of the owners quoted 120 quid and the other 70. And the first one said that there'd be no way it would be ready today, and quoted a Tuesday possibility.

Being a nice guy, and also Scottish, I phoned the shop like I'd been asked to on the shop's actual landline number, instead of the mobile one that's on the webpage, got the second owner this time, and he said the telly was fine, the bill would be seventy quid, and he'd deliver it to my door on the way back home for free.

As the shop owners are also both Scottish, expect an argument between the two owners on Monday morning over the outstanding fifty quid.
They’re from Paisley, and therefore always willing to help a hardship case.

I bought something very similar to this at the local Morrisons.

View attachment 496715

Half a carrot, half an onion, a chunk out of a white or red cabbage, and a dollop of mayonnaise and 5 mins later I've got coleslaw for two. No faff

I bought one of those on impulse many years ago at an Ideal Home Exhibition (I'm every demonstrator's wet dream). Since when it has languished unmolested in the further recesses of a cupboard.

Encouraged by this thread, I made some of my own coleslaw the other day (using chopping board, knife and grater. It's a bit on the chunky side but perfectly fine if eaten immediately. But I have since been reminded of another homemade coleslaw issue. Liquid accumulating at the bottom of the container of any stored coleslaw.

Perhaps the cut veg needs first to be salted (to draw out the water), rinsed and drained - but that just introduces another level or two of faff. No doubt producers add some kind of an emulsifier.

Perhaps the cut veg needs first to be salted (to draw out the water), rinsed and drained - but that just introduces another level or two of faff. No doubt producers add some kind of an emulsifier.

I have made coleslaw a few times and indeed I have salted the veg and left it overnight before squeezing it in a tea-towel to get the excess liquid out. Keeps well in the fridge for a couple of days.

Just when I thought that the pandemic had spared us from the BBC's customary annual corporate move to the Edinburgh Bloody Festival, the BBC have conspired to deprive me of this welcome break.

Seemingly unable to function normally during the month of August without setting off as a caravan in the direction of Dunedin, they have contrived to bring us a virtual fringe.

Here the usual 'comedians' talk, interrupt and overreact to one another on the phone from the sterile privacy of their own bedrooms, in the customary pandemic style. But now they pretend to be at a virtual Edinburgh Festival.

I imagine that the submitted expenses chits will be treated in the same virtual manner

Has it really come to this? So far, the phenomenon has been confined to the BBC 'comedy' output, Surely 'Arts' won't want to be left behind in 'real' London suburbia.

Anyone got any ideas for a virtual Military Tattoo? I'm sure that there will be many who will say that the Royal Military Tattoo has been only virtually military for many years.

Whingeing teenagers and teachers whining that IT'S SO UNFAIR!

It was always going to happen.

There was whingeing about grades even when there are proper exams, particularly during the period when grades were escalating annually. "I only go two A+++ and one A++ when I got three A++++ in my mocks".

Unfortunately the dogs dinner of the results moderation system has lent some credibility to their moaning.

Internet phone calls. My consultant rang me on friday , the call was over the internet and for the main unintelligible, none of us listening could understand it , all made worse I suspect by using a speaker phone ,and the time lag made interrupting impossible ,all this over a distance of 35 miles, whats wrong with a proper telephone.

Still not sure what he wanted.