Things that irritate me

My car came with an inflatable compact spare so it has a very good compressor you plug into the cigarette lighter. However, I have had to splash on adaptors that you don't have to screw in to the tyre valve. eBay £5.
For the luddites, the new garage machines are designed so you input the required pressure before you start inflating. You simply tell it what you want it inflating to then attach the hose and wait for it to beep when it's finished.

Tool

LE
My car came with an inflatable compact spare so it has a very good compressor you plug into the cigarette lighter. However, I have had to splash on adaptors that you don't have to screw in to the tyre valve. eBay £5.
For the luddites, the new garage machines are designed so you input the required pressure before you start inflating. You simply tell it what you want it inflating to then attach the hose and wait for it to beep when it's finished.
HiD's car had neither a spare nor the compact compressor. I drive an Auris which also does not have a spare, but does have the compressor. I use that for both cars.

Dey no dat, but dey carnt ear da beep four da noiz of da pump and orl de traffic, innit.

Grownup_Rafbrat

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
HiD's car had neither a spare nor the compact compressor. I drive an Auris which also does not have a spare, but does have the compressor. I use that for both cars.
My CH-R has a full sized spare. I think the previous owner paid extra for it. I am glad they did.

Londo

LE
A quid to put some air in your tyres?

It used to be 20p and you'd still rush like a formula 1 pitstop to get all 4 done before it stops only to drive off with it still rumbling away.
I haven't used one of those things in 20+ years . I think they were still free then .
Both cars , now reduced to just the one had little tyre compressors run off the cigarette lighter socket kept in the boot and at home have a larger compressor with gauge that does a few other tricks as well such as starting the car with a flat battery .

Things that irritate me - websites designed by nerds and phone handlers who are forced to read from a script.

I noticed a puddle of water in the road about 50 metres from our house. It has been there a few days, so wasn’t a spill.

Being a dutiful citizen, I checked on Yorkshire Water’s website to see if it had been reported. I can see that there is a leak in the area, but there is no means of narrowing the search to see if it is the leak I am seeing.

I eventually find ‘Report a Problem’ (buried deep in the options - it’s almost as if they don’t want you to find it….) and it is so obtuse that I give up and resort to the telephone.

To their credit, YW answered very quickly and I explained the problem. When it came to describing the location of the leak it really was officer with map territory. I offered to send the ‘What3Words’ location but this was declined. We sorted it eventually.

The chap on the phone then had to read out his script about length of time for repair, use of traffic lights, excavators, making good, cleaning up and Uncle Tom Cobley and all. Which was pointless, because this didn’t affect my property.

Anyway, I feel suitably righteous and shall celebrate with a helping of red wine.
Wouldn't a glass of righteous tap water be more fitting.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer

My last crown car used to have one of them mini compressors.

Now I have one.

Looks very similar. ;)

Idly scrolling through what was on tv I noticed a program called Drawers Off, that’ll do for me I thought, give me a bang of that number I thought and selected it, i can guarantee you that it isn’t what I thought it would be, loads of women with no knickers on? Was it fcuk, it was a group of people with sketch pads fuking drawing things, you utter bunch of wankers channel 4, to say it was irritating is a massive understatement

Idly scrolling through what was on tv I noticed a program called Drawers Off, that’ll do for me I thought, give me a bang of that number I thought and selected it, i can guarantee you that it isn’t what I thought it would be, loads of women with no knickers on? Was it fcuk, it was a group of people with sketch pads fuking drawing things, you utter bunch of wankers channel 4, to say it was irritating is a massive understatement

It was easier back when Channel 4 had the warning triangle, so you knew nudity was on the way

Who'd have bothered watching The Camomile Lawn otherwise?

Grownup_Rafbrat

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Yes but the balaclava you wear when driving it so that nobody recognises you, must be uncomfortable.
I prefer the paper bag with eyeholes. Easier to change the pattern and it's also useful when I'm driving or being driven the motorhome ;-)

Grownup_Rafbrat

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
I think HiD ws quoted £600 for a full spare for the CH-R. Absolute madness.
The boot has been completely remodelled to accommodate it. Ridiculous.

Grownup_Rafbrat

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
yep. But imagine the fun and games of driving a few hundred miles on a sunday with a biscuit spare at 50mph?
I agree that a proper spare is essential, what I meant was ridiculous was that the entire boot had to be remodelled to accommodate it, ie it wasn't designed in from the beginning.

CaptainRidiculous

On ROPS
On ROPs
I agree that a proper spare is essential, what I meant was ridiculous was that the entire boot had to be remodelled to accommodate it, ie it wasn't designed in from the beginning.
Yep.
which was just dumb - the manufacturers boasted all that extra boot space but forgot - what if the boot was full, and you had to change a tyre? where did the flat go?
I built the inside of mine up with heavy guage polystyrene so the floor stayed level.

When I picked up my latest car, I was surprised to find that there was no spare wheel.... of any description. There was just a tyre repair kit in the boot that is sufficient to get you home or to a garage. Apparently it's a thing now.

CaptainRidiculous

On ROPS
On ROPs
When I picked up my latest car, I was surprised to find that there was no spare wheel.... of any description. There was just a tyre repair kit in the boot that is sufficient to get you home or to a garage. Apparently it's a thing now.
Yeah, right. see my quote about being 200 miles from home on a sunday...
and limited to 50mph.

Latest Threads