Things that irritate me

CharleyBourne

Old-Salt
Having been on the receiving end for the last few years as someone who works front of house in hospitality, I now look back with guilt and shame at the times prior to joining the catering industry when I would be propping up the bar well past closing with my mates, not thinking that the bar staff wanted to go home after an evening shift, probably following a day job, and were too polite to chuck us out. To be fair we always bought the staff a fair amount of drinks in appreciation unlike people today who routinely will not leave anything as a tip despite leaving a table looking like a bomb's gone off. And we were at least considerate enough to take the "Really, I've got to close now" hint when it was obvious we had outstayed our welcome.

As I said, with many people it's not deliberate but just inconsideration or not understanding that when they leave we don't just switch the lights off and close the door and are not necessarily paid for the extra time we might have to stay on for. I frequently hear people in the industry, even people in their teens and 20s saying everyone should do a stint in hospitality or retail to teach them a little bit of humility and manners that,sounding like an old fart, are conspicuously lacking in many (but not all) today. Hmmmmph!

To clarify , you get irritated by your customers coming in and placing an order whilst you are open for business. So the fact that you have cleaned down the kitchen whilst customers can still place orders and then you have to clean it again has nothing to do with your irritation what so ever.
If my staff stopped and cleaned down their place of work half an hour before they were due to finish I think i might just be a tad irritated with them.

Where I work, it tends to go quiet 45-30 minutes before we close. In that time we have to top up 15 fridges and freezers, clean all surfaces, including every inch of the floor, and replace what we've taken from the walk in fridge, so the frozen stuff can start to defrost. Then we have to set up for Breakfast service.

CharleyBourne

Old-Salt
Where I work, it tends to go quiet 45-30 minutes before we close. In that time we have to top up 15 fridges and freezers, clean all surfaces, including every inch of the floor, and replace what we've taken from the walk in fridge, so the frozen stuff can start to defrost. Then we have to set up for Breakfast service.
I used to work in catering a university (using the term loosely) where I would sometimes be on an early shift to work in one of the out-station cafes, separate from the main student restaurant. I'd get in before seven, load a trolley up at the restaurant and push it up to the cafe, get in the lift and go up to the first floor where the cafe was to open up. The building was already open from 7 for students to access computers etc. One day, on opening the lift which led directly into the cafe, a contractor was sitting in the dark by the counter.

He said "Morning mate. Cappuccino please".

I with my coat still on, loaded trolley, said "Certainly. It'll be about 45 minutes which is when I've opened."

wheel

LE
So you close the doors to customers, then you should have allocated time to do the cleaning and administration. You were moaning about customers coming in late.
In business never forget the customers pay your wage.

I think anybody who has worked in hospitality has a pretty jaundiced view of the general public. With some it is just not thinking, others it is deliberate eg. the two ladies who (pre-Covid) regularly used to turn up an hour before last food orders, sit gassing for 55 mins and then order food. They would be there even after we had closed an hour later and would then try and order coffees after we had shut, and as the boss doesn't like us cleaning around customers it would delay us getting out at the allotted time. We have very small time margins for cleaning, particularly now with all the Covid cleaning so appreciate people being out on time particularly when we make it quite clear when we must have customers off the premises for deep cleaning (the premises not the customers).
Then again we have some very nice polite customers who you don't mind keeping the coffee machine on for a bit extra or who we'll make a sandwich for when the kitchen has closed. Give and take.
How many litres of accumulated semen* do you think those two have unknowingly consumed?

* Other bodily fluids are available

Pissed up screeching cackling women, falling about laughing at their shit Aussie accent impersonations.

That they were fat with oompa loompa tans and happy to gob off about not being brought ketchup but too lazy to get up and get it themselves didn't help.

When at the beginning of a TV show they say it "may contain strong language". It never does.
and "scenes of a sexual nature" when all you get is a fleeting glimpse of a side boob. Disappointing.

Choux Bun

Old-Salt
Gripping my shit at the moment are the muppets on here, who claim to have served for some years and still can't spell NAAFI. And, presumably, used it many, many times probably have no idea what the acronym stands for.

NAFFI, you bull's udders.

It's not like a national as well as service icon now, is it.
Albeit 32 months on, you come across as real NAAFI Growler!! Red or brown sauce?

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
If my staff stopped and cleaned down their place of work half an hour before they were due to finish I think i might just be a tad irritated with them.

Our work schedule is such that the clean down is factored into the working day, as is the set up.
Working day 0830 to 1700.
Time dental chair occupied by patients 0900 to 1630.

ancienturion

LE
Book Reviewer
Smart motorways where the intention seems to be killing rather than shaving time off journeys.

Pissed up screeching cackling women, falling about laughing at their shit Aussie accent impersonations.

That they were fat with oompa loompa tans and happy to gob off about not being brought ketchup but too lazy to get up and get it themselves didn't help.
You had me on side by the first comma.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
When you are moving house and decide to sell off various unwanted items via social media.
Despite being of good quality and at a reasonable price, nothing shifts.

Except a roll of chicken wire.

For some reason, it appears that fecking loads of folk want a roll of chicken wire.

And some expect you to drive 15miles to deliver it

CharleyBourne

Old-Salt
When you are moving house and decide to sell off various unwanted items via social media.
Despite being of good quality and at a reasonable price, nothing shifts.

Except a roll of chicken wire.

For some reason, it appears that fecking loads of folk want a roll of chicken wire.

And some expect you to drive 15miles to deliver it
Not to mention those who ask for an in-depth description and measurements of the item, photos from every angle, arrange to pick it up and then never show. And yes, also love those who don't understand what "Collection only" means.

Latest Threads