Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Things that irritate me

The Nationwide adverts where so kunts reciting some sort of shite poetry.
I was thinking exactly the same some weeks ago when it started, wish I'd thought to vent over it here.

It isn't really even poetry, it's just some egoistic shite.

Customers.

Yes, you know you have to be out by 10, so you come in 5 minutes before we stop service at 9, and order starters and mains. Oh, and by the way, now service has stopped, we've been joined by someone else. Can they have food too, as we haven't been served our mains yet.

Fucking dicks!

robins1

Old-Salt
Advert on tv at the moment for Volvo i think, a bloke reverses out of his drive, a lorry speeds past but misses him because they have spent time and effort inventing a sideways looking detection system that applies the brakes automatically, hurrah! Except that the problem needn't exist. Just reverse into the drive and you can then see with your own eyes what's coming when you exit driving forward. Dickheads!

Advert on tv at the moment for Volvo i think, a bloke reverses out of his drive, a lorry speeds past but misses him because they have spent time and effort inventing a sideways looking detection system that applies the brakes automatically, hurrah! Except that the problem needn't exist. Just reverse into the drive and you can then see with your own eyes what's coming when you exit driving forward. *********!
What he said. one of the first things that i was taught when driving, always reverse into a parking spot, if you have to bug out, its instant, that was at catterick driving training. 1972.

Last edited:
Advert on tv at the moment for Volvo i think, a bloke reverses out of his drive, a lorry speeds past but misses him because they have spent time and effort inventing a sideways looking detection system that applies the brakes automatically, hurrah! Except that the problem needn't exist. Just reverse into the drive and you can then see with your own eyes what's coming when you exit driving forward. *********!
What he said. one of the first things that i was taught when driving, always reverse into a parking spot, if you have to bug out, its instant, that was at catterick driving training. 1972.
It's a good idea with a tank too.;)

A company I worked for eons ago sent us all on an advanced driving course. One of the nuggets of information we were given was to always reverse into your drive/garage/parking space at the end of your journey. You'll be better aware and probably less distracted having already been driving to the location. Whereas at the start of a journey your mind and awareness is often elsewhere.

Apart from another company I worked for where the twatish owner insisted on all vehicles being parked front on to the building upon pain of the employee being charged for removing exhaust marks from the wall.

There are historic and practical reasons for reversing into a space. Car engines and batteries being less reliable back then meant it was easier to get into the engine bay to rectify faults. The turning circle of a car is determined by the angle of lateral movement of the front of a car; reversing in means the front of the car is moving sideways in a clear area, reversing out means the sideways moving part of the car is confined by obstacles. Something my wife ably demonstrated to me one day, to the considerable expense of my insurance premium.

There are historic and practical reasons for reversing into a space. Car engines batteries being less reliable back then meant it was easier to get into the engine bay to rectify faults. The turning circle of a car is determined by the angle of lateral movement of the front of a car; reversing in means the front of the car is moving sideways in a clear area, reversing out means the sideways moving part of the car is confined by obstacles. Something my wife ably demonstrated to me one day, to the considerable expense of my insurance premium.

I have never been a Nosey Parker since my first attendance on a NI CVD course, many moons ago.

. . . and bugger any exhaust marks. :cool:

There are historic and practical reasons for reversing into a space. Car engines and batteries being less reliable back then meant it was easier to get into the engine bay to rectify faults. The turning circle of a car is determined by the angle of lateral movement of the front of a car; reversing in means the front of the car is moving sideways in a clear area, reversing out means the sideways moving part of the car is confined by obstacles. Something my wife ably demonstrated to me one day, to the considerable expense of my insurance premium.
As too did the ex mrs_mush. I came home one day to find the drivers door pretty well dented. It tuned out it was bin day and she'd dragged the bin in off the pavement leaving it between the car and the wall. As she reversed out she attempted to turn only to trap the bin between the car and the wall. I did ask her why she didn't stop, drive a bit forward and move the bin out of the way. She replied that she thought the bin being plastic would just crush and reform after she'd exited the drive.

Plastic bin 1 - 0 Rover door

And yes, the insurance went up after that one.

As too did the ex mrs_mush. I came home one day to find the drivers door pretty well dented. It tuned out it was bin day and she'd dragged the bin in off the pavement leaving it between the car and the wall. As she reversed out she attempted to turn only to trap the bin between the car and the wall. I did ask her why she didn't stop, drive a bit forward and move the bin out of the way. She replied that she thought the bin being plastic would just crush and reform after she'd exited the drive.

Plastic bin 1 - 0 Rover door

And yes, the insurance went up after that one.
Why is it that it's women who mostly don't understand steering geometry?

Why is it that it's women who mostly don't understand steering geometry?
Most women don't. Some do. The current mrs_mush is an excellent driver, when the roads are clear will often drive at 9/10ths of her ability (she says she reserves the last 1/10th for when the unexpected happens) She can map read as well as anyone I know. Instinctively orientating the map when she's co-driver for me. Been driving for 33 years without points on her license or a single accident

Similar in some ways to the ex mrs_mush who claimed never to have had an accident, but admitted to seeing quite a few in her rear view mirror (I had to remind her on many occasions that indicating only conveys your intention to change lanes, it does not confer permission to)

Most women don't. Some do. The current mrs_mush is an excellent driver, when the roads are clear will often drive at 9/10ths of her ability (she says she reserves the last 1/10th for when the unexpected happens. She can map read as well as anyone I know. Instinctively orientating the map when she's co-driver for me. Been driving for 33 years without points on her license or a single accident

Similar in some ways to the ex mrs_mush who claimed never to have had an accident, but admitted to seeing quite a few in her rear view mirror (I had to remind her on many occasions that indicating conveys your intention to change lanes, it does not confer permission to)
To be fair to Mrs Dummy the incident happened when she'd not been driving long and responded to my lesson in reverse parking well and has maintained an exemplary record since.

I don't even close my eyes that much when she approaches junctions :)

Latest Threads