Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Things that irritate me

Chef

LE
Applying online for a UK passport . Lots of examples of how pictures should or should not look.

Of 7 individuals pictured, TWO are white. Are whites a minority in the UK?

That's probably because most non-whites have no passports when they get here according to the BBC.

@Ortholith We had a mad physics teacher who gave us the 'Double one 64 times' and then you can go.

Takes about an hour manually. Nobody knew the maths formula.

Just wondered, did you go to the Private school, or did COVID-19 scupper all plans?
Didn't go, still at the same place. COVID has actually been a bit of a blessing in that respect, the complete collapse in standards I was expecting didn't happen due to the lockdown. Better the devil you know.

Last edited:
Someone might be a bit bored at having fuck all to do at work...

Attachments

• IMG_20201019_183203.jpg
    IMG_20201019_183203.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 107

Yokel

LE
Computer and internet issues annoy me. Not so many weeks ago I was able to open and read large PDF files such as the PhD paper 'Active Control of V/STOL Aircraft" and the PDF of the collected AGARD 509 conference papers. Both several hundred pages long.

Over the last few days I have been unable to open them.

Grownup_Rafbrat

LE
Book Reviewer
Computer and internet issues annoy me. Not so many weeks ago I was able to open and read large PDF files such as the PhD paper 'Active Control of V/STOL Aircraft" and the PDF of the collected AGARD 509 conference papers. Both several hundred pages long.

Over the last few days I have been unable to open them.
Is your temporary memory full? Can you empty it?

Yokel

LE
Is your temporary memory full? Can you empty it?

Possibly. It has opened short files, but I will try it. I also find the way files often had random sounding and anonymous filename, such as qc345.pdf instead of LocalRoadClosures.pdf.

I had a very annoying and frustrating experience last week when I could bot find PDF forms and other documents that I needed to submit.

Not to mention the way typos creep into letters etc.

wheel

LE
Colleagues.

Specifically those that:
make excuses for ********* rather than showing sympathy while punishing them for their errors
ignore small issues as they walk past because it would take a bit of effort to deal with them
accuse me of 'making everything my problem' as I deal with the shit they ignore

It's not a complicated idea, if everyone challenges the small problems then the big problems are less likely to happen. Letting the little ******* get away with minor shit just leads to major shit.
its known as "Dont walk by" in manufacturing. Be it stock in the wrong place, incorrect processes happening or potential H&S issue. Deal with it immediately.

its known as "Dont walk by" in manufacturing. Be it stock in the wrong place, incorrect processes happening or potential H&S issue. Deal with it immediately.
It's called 'integrity' everywhere ;)

Yokel

LE
It's called 'integrity' everywhere ;)

Not recognised as a quality by the jobsworth, the career arse licker, or those with things to hide. Why do anything if there is no policy - you can just cover it up. You can avoid accusations of doing nothing by hiding behind your seniority. Just deny all knowledge...

Integrity is nothing without moral courage.

Last edited:

TAFKA

Old-Salt
That's probably because most non-whites have no passports when they get here according to the BBC.

@Ortholith We had a mad physics teacher who gave us the 'Double one 64 times' and then you can go.

Takes about an hour manually. Nobody knew the maths formula.

Did you not try just writing 2 64 times and claim that is actually what he asked for?

Then set about doing it 128 times!

Yokel

LE
Possibly. It has opened short files, but I will try it. I also find the way files often had random sounding and anonymous filename, such as qc345.pdf instead of LocalRoadClosures.pdf.

I had a very annoying and frustrating experience last week when I could bot find PDF forms and other documents that I needed to submit.

Not to mention the way typos creep into letters etc.

I think it is just a slow connection speed. I am not sure why it should be lower now that a few months ago - something else to irritate and frustrate me.

Also older files that were produced before modern word processing or Adobe Acrobat, and have been scanned, are larger than one produced from a Word document

Quite, although the seemingly endless and mind-numbingly boring corporate training courses to promote this could be cut down to about 10 minutes and not run to a full half day FFS!

anglo

LE
I think it is just a slow connection speed. I am not sure why it should be lower now that a few months ago - something else to irritate and frustrate me.

Also older files that were produced before modern word processing or Adobe Acrobat, and have been scanned, are larger than one produced from a Word document
Do you use something like CCleaner to tidy up your computer every so often,
when was the last time you updated the software you use,
I take it that you check the speed of your internet and complain to the ISP
if keeps dropping
also updates can f*** you about

I’ve not bothered going back to the pool yet this year just for the reason you illustrate here, though I may have to in the depths of winter.

I have decided to continue open water swimming through the winter, much more pleasant, though colder obviously, than a pool, has involved some additional costs in terms of a wetsuit, neoprene socks, gloves and swim hat but there are no annoying slow swimmers about.

The only downside is you do look a bit of a mong fully suited and booted in neoprene, but there is always the prospect of the after swim application of industrial quantities of Swarfega and all that entails:)
Get a spear fishing wetsuit which basically turns you into a seal and some big fins which is a small motor you can then cover miles. I did large parts of the upper Thames, the water life is amazing.
Use a low volume mask. It's best with a snorkel IMHO.

In the good old days of the Highways Agency, they just used to have an internal reorganisation every 3 or 4 years to piss people off. But that's not good enough these days, is it kiddies?

National Highways my arse.

In the good old days of the Highways Agency, they just used to have an internal reorganisation every 3 or 4 years to piss people off. But that's not good enough these days, is it kiddies?

National Highways my arse.

Bung some work to a mate running a new media agency, job jobbed

TAFKA

Old-Salt
TV chefs making a point of informing the audience that they're going to wash their hands as they've handled raw meat then simply dip their fingertips in a bowl of water before continuing.

Latest Threads