Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Things that irritate me

But the people who create these websites and run the media and advertisers exist in metropolitan bubbles, and thus they think that their particular bubble of diversity equates to what the country, as a whole, looks and acts like.
It's called reinforcing racial stereotypes- the Nazis were quite good at it. Your average family must have an must have a percentile of BAMES because the equality acts demand it. Ram it home hard and often enough and it becomes a distinct norm. Then go visit places and find it's nothing like that. I mean given averages actors suffering from Alzheimers shouldn't be allowed to stop because of it, there should be more thalidomide actors, most of our actors should be tubby gross and flatulent. None of this young actors being old and why do we assume because we're old we've lost our sexual appetite. ( Yuck in some respects, but there are enough fit 6o
year olds on telly)
Ultimately advertisers create their ideal world not ours-we're mug enough to consume it. In their ideal world the men are all virtual stars, the women are all MILFS, the Children are all brainiacs and then you get TOWIE. FFs I've practically given up on telly not mention copulating elephants at meal times.
And you may not have noticed this but there is subtle stereotyping going on in the BAME community too. Let you spot a game in the next cop show or something like that- who will be the villain and who the victim. Will it be a beetle browed squat faced individual or the boyish faced one?

The Beeb would like you to think so. The current laugh is to snigger when .we meet to prove we are still alive.
Are we still allowed to use that word without being arrested?

Are we still allowed to use that word without being arrested?
In it’s proper context any way the root is different . now how many Spaniards have stopped using Negra for black, Schwartz is also a surname as is Black or in the film industry Noir. Henry Ford You can have any colour you like so long as it’s lilac?

Eight years in and the only solution to be had is.

Ignore it. Works for me.

Mostly.

You’re lucky, I’ve had since my 20s, i’m Now in my 60s. Every waking f@£king minute it’s hissing in my ears. Luckily, it’s at a low level and background and everyday noises and conversations distract from it.

Applying online for a UK passport . Lots of examples of how pictures should or should not look.

Of 7 individuals pictured, TWO are white. Are whites a minority in the UK?
Nope, maybe its because "whitey" is better at submitting a correct photograph, assuming of course they are correctly taken.

Applying online for a UK passport . Lots of examples of how pictures should or should not look.

Of 7 individuals pictured, TWO are white. Are whites a minority in the UK?

Possibly help in lighting/background? No one wants to see just eyes and teef; plus it would reinforce the stereotype that they all look the same.

Possibly help in lighting/background? No one wants to see just eyes and teef; plus it would reinforce the stereotype that they all look the same.
Prior to a deployment to Iraq, I was tasked with getting photocopies of my troops Passports.
One of the guys was from Sierra Leone and really, really black.
No matter what I did to try and lighten the copy, all you could see was a totally black face (no shade to show features) and white eyes and teeth (think the shape of a head drawn with a black ink fountain pen). I showed it to the lad and he just laughed.

Cnuts at Radway Green who start test firing without any fuckin warning. I,m far to old to be taking cover on a tarmac car park.
Good drills though. :)

I have previously mentioned the Duty Slow Driver on here, I now have his aquatic equivalent.
The Duty Slow Swimmer.
After the Government saved us all and allowed pools to reopen I have been able to resume my daily chlorine therapy.
In order to protect us in what must be a pretty aseptic atmosphere the pool is now divided into 3 sets of lanes: Slow, Medium and Poseur each of which have a clockwise/anticlockwise circuit to follow.

Now I reckon I'm an OK swimmer and as I don't own a swimming cap, feel the need to place a water bottle at the side of the pool, do fancy turns at the end, unless its the second set when they have to stop and rest for 5 mins coz they're knackered from all the grunting and splashing they did, I go in the medium lane.

This for the most part works fine, I'm in the upper end of medium so can use to centre lane to pass and will wait at the end for half a length so I don't end up nipping at the heels of the person in front. But then duty slow swimmer arrives. He is an old bloke who drives a Rover 75, takes 10mins to get changed to get in the water and doesn't so much swim as flail his arms around weakly like a confused old person who's been strapped into one of those chairs Ambulances have. If you stuck a red blanket over his legs when he does his back stroke parody you'd be looking for the Paramedic, he doesn't move his legs at all doing breast stoke, they just trail in the water - I obviously have had a lot of time to study him.

He is slow, very slow and everyone has to go into the middle lane to pass him, on every ******* length. Why the old twat cant figure out that when even fat old men are zipping past he maybe should go over to the fat wheezy boys lane and let the rest of us swim without the bottleneck he creates.
And then he's got his party piece.
After creating a log jam when 3 of us have arrived at broadly the end at the same time, rather than wait and let the clearly faster swimmers set off before him, he waits until I arrive and then sets off.

You might be doing him a big disservice, he could actually be taking a very very long, and very very slow piss

I take it there are efnic majorities on there too ;)
Fark nose, haven't caught sight of it since my gran died in 1992.

goodoldboy

MIA
Book Reviewer
I went to enquire about the price of a pair of tyres the other day and a fifty year old irritation reared its ugly head. The reasonably efficient sales assistant quoted me the price then uttered the offending words "plus VAT". In the past I have questioned this if it's a particularly bad day with something like "Do I have the option of not paying it?" which usually causes utter bewilderment so I no longer bother.

I know that certain business users can reclaim VAT but there is always a receipt that shows the proportion which is tax so why do the ordinary folk like me need to be told! Oh, and it's always pronounced 'VAT' and never 'V - A - T' ! Grrrrr...

Have a nice day fellow Arrsers!

Grownup_Rafbrat

LE
Book Reviewer
I went to enquire about the price of a pair of tyres the other day and a fifty year old irritation reared its ugly head. The reasonably efficient sales assistant quoted me the price then uttered the offending words "plus VAT". In the past I have questioned this if it's a particularly bad day with something like "Do I have the option of not paying it?" which usually causes utter bewilderment so I no longer bother.

I know that certain business users can reclaim VAT but there is always a receipt that shows the proportion which is tax so why do the ordinary folk like me need to be told! Oh, and it's always pronounced 'VAT' and never 'V - A - T' ! Grrrrr...

Have a nice day fellow Arrsers!
It will soon be a return to 'plus Purchase Tax'...

Latest Threads