Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Things that irritate me

She has a point actually. Ambulance have a set script / checklist they must comply with on every call. Example- I will call to request attendance at an incident:
"Hello Amb, can we have you at an incident please?"
They then ask what's happened and I reply "Adult male has jumped off motorway bridge, head has become detached".

"Is the patient conscious & breathing?" WILL be the next question!
"Any fever / cough / symptoms of COVID?"

Mostly the operator will realise the futility of some of the questions dependent on situation but - you do get the "sticklers".

During the oil firefighting in Kuwait we heard a deep Texan drawl come over the safety net:

“We’ve had a fatality at well number xxx”

Up comes the very proper English voice of the chief health and safety Bod:

“You can’t say that, only the doctor can pronounce someone dead”

“Well OK, he’s been run over by a D9 [BFO dozer] and he’s about a hundred yards long now, but your call...”

O Zangado

War Hero
Spent half the morning on an international call to HMRC. Imagine my joy to be connected to a tax wonk who had an accent like Nikkula Stirgeon's whinier sister. HMRC really should not employ Jockanese wimmin - it's a match made in Hell and I am fekkin' annoyed.

OZ

jmb3296

War Hero
Spent half the morning on an international call to HMRC. Imagine my joy to be connected to a tax wonk who had an accent like Nikkula Stirgeon's whinier sister. HMRC really should not employ Jockanese wimmin - it's a match made in Hell and I am fekkin' annoyed.

OZ

you Should be congratulated on getting to a human at Hmrc. to speak to.

Wait, what?

But you've been telling us that everyone on the dialling end of a 999 call are all stupid, fag-smoking, racist, lowlife, social media-addicted scum, and now it appears one (or perhaps several) has got through the rigorous training and has taken up residence in the Halls of Magnificence from whence you dispense your god-like wisdom, pity and the occasional emergency service amongst us eaters of dirt?
You are trying just a tad too hard, one would offer :)

Try to be brave.
No bravery required. Your demonstrated lack of comprehension, and thus ND'ing due to over-eageress to pose an argument is quite amusing.

Carry on I say :)

Dialling 999 is hilarious these days. I had cause to do so last month when a neighbour fell and split his head open. After advising us to remove the tea towel we were using to stem the flow and replace it with another, and after many questions about the Covid status of him and his disabled wife, an ambulance was grudgingly ordered. The process took half an hour before we got to this.

Much later that evening my phone rang with the follow up call asking 'are you the daughter?'. I asked them to refer to the call and they would see that I am a neighbour and they must have talked to his daughter after the ambulance came. So even with my name, address, phone number, inside leg measurement, and mother's eye colour (maybe not ALL of those ;-) ) they still couldn't record it properly to contact his family.

Ok I'll ask, what IS your inside leg measurement

I'm only asking because I'm a bit of a pervert

Twats in hats.

We will have all come across the 'twat in a hat' even the 'twat in a hat' will have, although ironically they don't realise that they are a 'twat in a hat'.

I am of course referring to any driver wearing a head covering.

The Peugeot doing 40 in a twisty 60 road that you cant quite see far enough past to overtake will be peering myopically from under the brim of his flat cap.

The clapped out Micra with after market gold alloys (a Micra for christs sake) hammering it past in the 30 zone will look like he's raided Jay Kays hat box.

Any driver wearing a hat will automatically qualify for 'Peugeot Driver status' and for those of you who are thinking 'I wear a hat while driving and I'm not a twat', I'm afraid the news is you are!

If you also looked at the assorted variety of cars you could have bought (even Vauxhalls) and thought 'No I think Peugeot is the car for me'.
Cut your license in half and return it to Swansea before setting fire to the offending car while you're inside which will go someway towards an apology to the rest of us.

And driving gloves, you forgot the driving gloves

Grownup_Rafbrat

LE
Book Reviewer
Knuts who looked up at the Spitfire flying over our local Hospital today and basically could have cared less.
Most under 40-odd YOA.
When a Spit flies over you...you fukkin take major notice.
Anyone not roused by the Merlin V12 at full chat needs beheaded.
Period.

ugly

LE
Knuts who looked up at the Spitfire flying over our local Hospital today and basically could have cared less.
Most under 40-odd YOA.
Period.
Twice a day over the farm, I’ll admit to acknowledging it but it’s not as exciting as a four engined bomber

Twice a day over the farm, I’ll admit to acknowledging it but it’s not as exciting as a four engined bomber
Oooooh........4 Merlins........keep going...keep going.......!
It's the full package that sets me off somethin' awful....the wings, contours...bloody hell I'm off on 1 again.

Most under 40-odd YOA.
Anyone not roused by the Merlin V12 at full chat needs beheaded.
Period.

Ecosse, eh?

Would that be the celebrated American quarter of Scotland, by any chance?

Your point is, I must say...lost upon me.
Stirlingshire actually.

In Britain (even in North Britain, I dare say) we use, 'couldn't have cared less'.

In America they would use your version.

We sometimes criticise the spams unfairly ('gotten' and 'fall', for example - old English terms, albeit now fallen into disuse in the mother country).

'Could have cared less', however? Inexcusable.

ugly

LE
Oooooh........4 Merlins........keep going...keep going.......!
It's the full package that sets me off somethin' awful....the wings, contours...bloody hell I'm off on 1 again.
When the Canadian Lanc flew over with the British one, my neighbour said what a wonderful sound.
I asked her what she thought hundreds overhead in Germany must have sounded like and she replied
Revenge!
Made me proud

In Britain (even in North Britain, I dare say) we use, 'couldn't have cared less'.

In America they would use your version.

We sometimes criticise the spams unfairly ('gotten' and 'fall', for example - old English terms, albeit now fallen into disuse in the mother country).

'Could have cared less', however? Inexcusable.

David Mitchell walt

(Though I agree with you!)

Latest Threads