Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Things that irritate me

corby

Old-Salt
I think it's becoming increasingly likely. I need to find an alternative to Radio 4, to which my radio is permanently tuned. It was once a reasonably safe haven from the mindless trendiness that afflicted other stations. No longer it seems.

Gairmany Calling! Gairmany Calling!
Just ditch the need for "up to date news" because it's the same Sheite day after day unless there's a disaster somewhere to focus on for a day or so then it's back to anti Gov't, anti Boris, poor illegals and the WOKE. I've been far more relaxed since I stopped listening to News. Put Planet Rock on and let your hair down, assuming you have some left!

Edit for shpelling

ETA: Talking of the Today Programme, I've always thought that the 40 mins or so after the 08:10 interview are a waste of space. All the main subjects have already been covered, weather forecasts delivered, sport droned on about. The rest is just filler and rushed and often prematurely truncated interviews..... and. of course, the traditional presenter crashing the pips.

I know little of radio but I suspect that the latter section also serves as an up-sum of the what's gone before, on the basis that not everyone has the ability to listen to the whole programme.

It's not something you need to know about if you don't know, especially around mealtime.

I know what a 'feeder' is.

I was wondering how the name applied to a broadcast technician:
Without wanting to be too esoteric: maybe we, the facilitators, are supplying him, the viewing public with a gross appetite, the piles of junk they crave?

I know little of radio but I suspect that the latter section also serves as an up-sum of the what's gone before, on the basis that not everyone has the ability to listen to the whole programme.

A lot of it is actually lightweight filler that very often does not relate to anything that's gone before. They still manage to rush it.

The whole programme has been plagued by technical issues brought about by Covid-19. They rely, now more than ever, on telecomms to conduct interviews and even correspondent feeds. The failure rate is quite high. That's not really their fault.

Still, I suppose it's still a lot better than the stunningly amateurish days of Jack De Manio (I can almost sense the legions now reaching for their Wikipedia).

Incidentally, is there anyone still alive on here who can shed some light on why de Manio was thrown out of the army? He held the MC and yet still managed to get himself cashiered. He must have pulled some serious strings to get a job with the BBC with that on his CV (and to hold on to it for as long as he did).

I know what a 'feeder' is.

I was wondering how the name applied to a broadcast technician:
Without wanting to be too esoteric: maybe we, the facilitators, are supplying him, the viewing public with a gross appetite, the piles of junk they crave?

Well, you objected to "meeja types" and you supply resources to egos that become ever more bloated so - "feeders".

Not everything is an attack.

It's called humour, you see.

ancienturion

LE
Book Reviewer

I doubt it because they used to do the same thing with the BBC television news. Headlines including the local, then half way through remind everyone of national and local and finally recap.
I know the BBC was looking to the young but cannot believe the attention to detail of the young was that short.
On the other hand it's far more likely to be pure woke or laziness on the part of the news teams.

Well, you objected to "meeja types" and you supply resources to egos that become ever more bloated so - "feeders".

Not everything is an attack.

It's called humour, you see.

Leave the guy alone. He's a useful portal into the media world. He's a monkey (and nothing at all wrong with that) rather than an organ grinder. He wasn't getting upset with my reference to 'meeja type', he was just taking an oily rag's professional pride in emphasising the distinction.

I think it's becoming increasingly likely. I need to find an alternative to Radio 4, to which my radio is permanently tuned. It was once a reasonably safe haven from the mindless trendiness that afflicted other stations. No longer it seems.

Gairmany Calling! Gairmany Calling!

I used to have Radio 4 on constantly as a background to my life too. No more. It finally got punted at the start of the lockdown as my blood pressure couldn't stand it anymore.

Try Radio 4 Extra, you might have to get a cheap DAB radio from FleaBay but it does have re-runs of some excellent comedy (Dad's Army, Round the Horne, The Navy Lark, Steptoe,Hancock, ISIHAC, Just a Minute), some cracking old plays and radio serials from years ago without any of the concommitant sh*te and drivel that is Start the Week, The Today Programme, PM, Woman' Sour or the woke agenda drivel that currently passes for comedy on the 6.30pm slot.

Leave the guy alone. He's a useful portal into the media world. He's a monkey (and nothing at all wrong with that) rather than an organ grinder. He wasn't getting upset with my reference to 'meeja type', he was just taking an oily rag's professional pride in emphasising the distinction.

Oh, do fucķ off.

I used to have Radio 4 on constantly as a background to my life too. No more. It finally got punted at the start of the lockdown as my blood pressure couldn't stand it anymore.

Try Radio 4 Extra, you might have to get a cheap DAB radio from FleaBay but it does have re-runs of some excellent comedy (Dad's Army, Round the Horne, The Navy Lark, Steptoe,Hancock, ISIHAC, Just a Minute), some cracking old plays and radio serials from years ago without any of the concommitant sh*te and drivel that is Start the Week, The Today Programme, PM, Woman' Sour or the woke agenda drivel that currently passes for comedy on the 6.30pm slot.

Yes, I discovered it almost by accident online. The plays are good. They are of the old absorbing type that didn't require actors to ham it up, using absurd dialogue in thick regional accents.

You forgot The Archers in your list. It was always whimsical nonsense, really, but at least it was not laden with misery and topical issues.

Latest Threads