Things that irritate me

Dunno about other email clients but in the Apple email client it is easy to set up a rule that states 'If the email heading is Tell us your favourite song, then dump it straight into the Junk folder'.

Junk emails go there silently.
Outlook also

@bob_the_bomb, I'm starting to wish you were still in Cambodia ;)

Outlook also
Is there a foolproof way to block that particular email / chain of emails but still receive different (and hopefully important) emails from the same people?

Edit - I think I've managed it. No bing bong noises for the last 10 minutes so fingers crossed.

Last edited:

Grownup_Rafbrat

LE
Book Reviewer
Nope. I get this sort of stuff sent to me while actively trying to avoid it.

It's the same sort of simple-minded bollocks as sending all-staff emails about 'mindfulness exercises' or a 'wellbeing afternoon' or 'thoughtful breathing'. Funnily enough it almost entirely seems to originate from the hobby subjects like drama and photography. The really cynical might imagine they don't have enough work to do.
Set up a rule- straight to junk if a mail has 'song' in the title and return a sharp response to the sender for jamming up the airwaves when people are struggling for bandwidth in populous areas.

Last edited:
Set up a rule- straight to junk if a mail has 'song's in the title and return a sharp response to the sender for jamming up the airwaves when people are struggling for bandwidth in populous areas.
I've a few simple rules: If it's addressed to me only, or is from a few identified individuals, or is a reply to something I've sent out. Then it goes in my inbox. If I'm cc'd and the number of other recipients is < 10, then it goes in a different folder. Everything else goes in a third. I've also got a script where with a single click I can future consign anything with the same subject line as the email I'm looking at, to the junk folder.

A better way, if you can, is to set a redirect so it goes straight back to the sender. Or better still, a senior manager.

anglo

LE
Whichever ******** invented the reply-all function on work emails. The **** who implemented it without a ******* childlock is also in line for a bit of abuse.

Some bright spark has set up a daily song challenge (don't ******* ask) and sent it out, all in the name of 'maintaining mental health'. It's not doing my mental health much good as I was quite enjoying the peace and quiet.

Now my work email inbox is going ping literally every 30 seconds with some other shallow fool who is under the delusion everyone wants to know what their favourite song featuring a flower in the name is or some other shite. Bing! Another one. Bing! Another one. I would turn off the notification noise but then I don't know when a kid has emailed in asking for help which is what the ******* thing is supposed to be used for at the moment.

If they tried this horseshit during a normal working day they'd be deluged with people telling them to bugger off and do some work. Just because everyone's at home that seems to have gone out of the ******* window.
Well, use the reply-all function and sent an email stating you do not want any junk/shit
sent to you

Set up a rule- straight to junk if a mail has 'song's in the title and return a sharp response to the sender for jamming up the airwaves when people are struggling for bandwidth in populous areas.
A better way, if you can, is to set a redirect so it goes straight back to the sender. Or better still, a senior manager.
Well, use the reply-all function and sent an email stating you do not want any junk/shit
sent to you
Much as I like the suggestions of an automatic reply along the lines of "You have too much spare time. Do some work and leave me alone" that might get me in a bit of hot water with management. They tend to be very keen on this sort of 'morale raising' activity.

I think, following the suggestions about email inbox rules, that I've now got it sorted so all of this hippy nonsense goes straight to the junk folder. Never thought I would need to do something like that given everyone involved is allegedly an educated professional :rolleyes:

Edit - no, they'd just taken a break from sending drivel and apparently I can't put internal messages into the junk folder. Let's try deleting them automatically instead.

ancienturion

LE
Book Reviewer
Nope. I get this sort of stuff sent to me while actively trying to avoid it.

It's the same sort of simple-minded bollocks as sending all-staff emails about 'mindfulness exercises' or a 'wellbeing afternoon' or 'thoughtful breathing'. Funnily enough it almost entirely seems to originate from the hobby subjects like drama and photography. The really cynical might imagine they don't have enough work to do.
Reply All is a very dangerous weapon as far as I'm concerned. Constantly being told off by committee Chairmen for replying individually where necessary.

@bob_the_bomb, I'm starting to wish you were still in Cambodia ;)

Is there a foolproof way to block that particular email / chain of emails but still receive different (and hopefully important) emails from the same people?

Edit - I think I've managed it. No bing bong noises for the last 10 minutes so fingers crossed.

Look into setting up a template reply and respond with that.

I'd start with "Stop sending me this pointless shite and get on with some proper work." and CC their CoC.

ETA: OK, drop the template response. You'll just have make do with never seeing their irrelevant, self-regarding tripe in your Inbox.

Until one of the fckers announces they're setting up a company-wide "Whistle a happy tune" initiative.

Just to add, the Pointy heads in Tech have put a restriction in on the mail server so that any distribution list with more than xxx members can only be sent to by staff on a named group for that distribution list. In effect only a few select people can send to the whole organisation, and even the IT dept dist list can only be sent to by a handful of managers

Whichever ******** invented the reply-all function on work emails. The **** who implemented it without a ******* childlock is also in line for a bit of abuse.

Some bright spark has set up a daily song challenge (don't ******* ask) and sent it out, all in the name of 'maintaining mental health'. It's not doing my mental health much good as I was quite enjoying the peace and quiet.

Now my work email inbox is going ping literally every 30 seconds with some other shallow fool who is under the delusion everyone wants to know what their favourite song featuring a flower in the name is or some other shite. Bing! Another one. Bing! Another one. I would turn off the notification noise but then I don't know when a kid has emailed in asking for help which is what the ******* thing is supposed to be used for at the moment.

If they tried this horseshit during a normal working day they'd be deluged with people telling them to bugger off and do some work. Just because everyone's at home that seems to have gone out of the ******* window.
Simple solution - get a job in a sector that provides a better class of colleague ;)

Grownup_Rafbrat

LE
Book Reviewer
Much as I like the suggestions of an automatic reply along the lines of "You have too much spare time. Do some work and leave me alone" that might get me in a bit of hot water with management. They tend to be very keen on this sort of 'morale raising' activity.

I think, following the suggestions about email inbox rules, that I've now got it sorted so all of this hippy nonsense goes straight to the junk folder. Never thought I would need to do something like that given everyone involved is allegedly an educated professional :rolleyes:

Edit - no, they'd just taken a break from sending drivel and apparently I can't put internal messages into the junk folder. Let's try deleting them automatically instead.
My last job was with a major US software house. Our little bit of it did stuff for the MoD.

One Christmas someone sent one of these emails to everyone in the company. Worldwide.

For three weeks the email system groaned under the weight of IT 'professionals' sending 'please delete me from this mailing list' responses, using 'Reply all', followed by others sending emails saying 'stop using reply all'. To 'reply all'.

A couple of years ago, one of my line managers was attempting to send this to one of his mates using his work email.
He accidentally clicked ‘reply all’ from the MD down to the shithouse cleaner.

I work for a massive international German company.
It’s an old, fairly lame joke, but the hauptmänner in Berlin weren’t impressed & word got through that they were nicht amüsant!

He almost got the bullet & only got saved by agreeing to send a grovelling apology followed by 12 months email use ban.

A couple of years ago, one of my line managers was attempting to send this to one of his mates using his work email.
He accidentally clicked ‘reply all’ from the MD down to the shithouse cleaner.

I work for a massive international German company.
It’s an old, fairly lame joke, but the hauptmänner in Berlin weren’t impressed & word got through that they were nicht amüsant!

He almost got the bullet & only got saved by agreeing to send a grovelling apology followed by 12 months email use ban.

Years ago in the golden age of mainframes before PCs had been invented, mainframes were only just evolving from batch processing engines to having users with display terminals, there was an online utility called TSO. Time Sharing Option. Used mainly for editing code and submitting jobs, but it did have a rudimentary messaging facility where you could send a one line message to a named user.

One day, a couple of geeks were having a bit of chat via this facility when it got a bit heated and one guy sent a 'fuck you' message without naming the recipient. Unfortunately this defaulted to send-to-all. Including the IT Director who was online.

We never saw him again. The geek that was, not the IT director.

Grownup_Rafbrat

LE
Book Reviewer
Years ago in the golden age of mainframes before PCs had been invented, mainframes were only just evolving from batch processing engines to having users with display terminals, there was an online utility called TSO. Time Sharing Option. Used mainly for editing code and submitting jobs, but it did have a rudimentary messaging facility where you could send a one line message to a named user.

One day, a couple of geeks were having a bit of chat via this facility when it got a bit heated and one guy sent a '**** you' message without naming the recipient. Unfortunately this defaulted to send-to-all. Including the IT Director who was online.

We never saw him again. The geek that was, not the IT director.
TSO.

Happy memories...

Queueing to use one of 6 terminals between 70 staff, list of half-hour timeslots on a board updated with a chinagraph pencil .
Printouts on green and white paper.

Lots of desk checking.

Really efficient code as memory was so expensive.

Tell the kids of today .....

Work colleagues who, after you've sent them a set of 15 drawings for a job to be carried out in several stages email me asking for the drawings for a certain stage. So I send them the entire set. Again. I sent the same set of drawings to one colleague for the third time this morning. The fucking dozy bastard. Some people want spoon-feeding. Or the spoon ramming up their ricker. And relax.

Group emails promoting enforced fun are the preserve of Facebook wankers.

They need booting in the throat.

Bob Upndown

War Hero
That smug cnut Mark Austin on Sky Armageddon.

...and the Health Seccerterry, Matt Hancock will lead the daily briefing. Standards, man, we need to maintain standards in these straightened times (rustles crossword page of the Daily Telegraph whilst pulling the G&T summoning cord with reckless abandon).

Harrumph

Oh, and that Kate McCann (not the careless with children one) would receive the best five seconds of her life, the strumpet!

That smug cnut Mark Austin on Sky Armageddon.

...and the Health Seccerterry, Matt Hancock will lead the daily briefing. Standards, man, we need to maintain standards in these straightened times (rustles crossword page of the Daily Telegraph whilst pulling the G&T summoning cord with reckless abandon).

Harrumph

Oh, and that Kate McCann (not the careless with children one) would receive the best five seconds of her life, the strumpet!
The careless with children variety should receive the best 5 rounds in the magazine

Latest Threads