Things that irritate me

Cunting fucking exam boards. Make millions flogging exams to schools and then make further millions flogging textbooks. Then provide tests and activities 'purpose designed' for that exam spec for further millions.

Only most of it is poorly thought through shit that bears no resemblance to when topics should be taught and is frequently fucking wrong. Just marking a test and there is an error in there of the same magnitude as saying "apples, oranges and bananas all look the same". Useless fucking money grabbing cunts.

Yokel

LE
******* ******* exam boards. Make millions flogging exams to schools and then make further millions flogging textbooks. Then provide tests and activities 'purpose designed' for that exam spec for further millions.

Only most of it is poorly thought through shit that bears no resemblance to when topics should be taught and is frequently ******* wrong. Just marking a test and there is an error in there of the same magnitude as saying "apples, oranges and bananas all look the same". Useless ******* money grabbing cnuts.
I bet the kids are not allowed to use that sort of langauge!

I have never understand how exam board a and exam board b could offer exams in the same subject but have different syllabuses. How does that help students, educational establishments, or employers?

The Gold standard is far from standard. Why do some A level Mathematics syllabuses cover Complex Numbers and others do not?

Yokel

LE
Thinking about it, the lack of standardisation in day to day life annoys me. For example plain black socks are far from standard - they always have some sort of pattern and they will not be interchanged so any two can form a pair.

There should be a standard sock, black, man's.

Garden equipment is another example. Hoses and connectors from different manufacturers simply do not fit.

I bet the kids are not allowed to use that sort of langauge!
Too fucking right they aren't, the little bastards.

I have never understand how exam board a and exam board b could offer exams in the same subject but have different syllabuses. How does that help students, educational establishments, or employers?

The Gold standard is far from standard. Why do some A level Mathematics syllabuses cover Complex Numbers and others do not?
The honest answer? It's always been done that way and to change it would piss off a number of extremely wealthy companies, hence no government being willing to grasp the nettle. Gove suggested it (and it's one of the few things he said I will defend) but it never got any further than a suggestion.

You might as well ask why private schools are allowed to teach their students the iGCSE syllabus (significantly easier compared to the real one) but state schools have to teach the 'proper' GCSE syllabus.

Edit - mea culpa, by "Gove suggested it" I actually meant "Gove suggested one national exam board". It's the sort of mistake I would have shouted at and I hang my head in shame.

Or at least feel mildly embarrassed while opening a can of lager.

Last edited:
Ive started to get real fed up with the word "woke" used millions of times a day on facebook. Its starting to get on my substantial tits ....
I'm more fed up with the reason "woke" gets used so much.

ancienturion

LE
Book Reviewer
The honest answer? It's always been done that way
Afraid not because once upon a time O level maths was treated differently by the Oxford board and the Cambridge board. The Oxford paper tended more toward geometric type problems whereas the Cambridge paper was more aligned to trigonometry. Originally explained to me the that the early Oxford stuff was more for theorists and Cambridge papers were more aligned toward navigation.
I don't know how much truth there is in that because it was as explained to me by Prof J Radcliffe. I do know there was a difference between the two papers because my Matric wasn't wonderful and I later had to take a GCE or two.

Afraid not because once upon a time O level maths was treated differently by the Oxford board and the Cambridge board. The Oxford paper tended more toward geometric type problems whereas the Cambridge paper was more aligned to trigonometry. Originally explained to me the that the early Oxford stuff was more for theorists and Cambridge papers were more aligned toward navigation.
I don't know how much truth there is in that because it was as explained to me by Prof J Radcliffe. I do know there was a difference between the two papers because my Matric wasn't wonderful and I later had to take a GCE or two.
I pointed out that we have always tolerated different exam boards examining different areas. You claim I am wrong by pointing out different exam boards examined different areas.

I know you have a lot of experience and information to share but you do need to pay attention to the whole post, not just one sentence.

ancienturion

LE
Book Reviewer
I pointed out that we have always tolerated different exam boards examining different areas. You claim I am wrong by pointing out different exam boards examined different areas.

I know you have a lot of experience and information to share but you do need to pay attention to the whole post, not just one sentence.
It has not always been done that way as you state.

Please Sir?
Put a red pen through his post and make him do it again.
10 times.
Plus, no Golden Time on Friday.
That'll learn the auld bugger.

Yokel (which I responded to) = I have never understand how exam board a and exam board b could offer exams in the same subject but have different syllabuses.

@ancienturion = Afraid not because once upon a time O level maths was treated differently by the Oxford board and the Cambridge board. The Oxford paper tended more toward geometric type problems whereas the Cambridge paper was more aligned to trigonometry.

My brain hurts.

Thinking about it, the lack of standardisation in day to day life annoys me. For example plain black socks are far from standard - they always have some sort of pattern and they will not be interchanged so any two can form a pair.
Buy 10 identical pairs at a time (two weeks worth), keep them for 2, 3, 4 years whatever. Bin them all at once. Repeat.

The British Gas ad on the radio and the annoying bitch who voices it pronouncing cable as 'Caaybull' and tele as 'Tellhee' in her stupid indeterminant accent.
I find myself shouting at the radio quite a lot when its on, which is quite a lot.
I mean it could be worse it could be Zoe Ball.

Edit - mea culpa, by "Gove suggested it" I actually meant "Gove suggested one national exam board". It's the sort of mistake I would have shouted at and I hang my head in shame.

Or at least feel mildly embarrassed while opening a can of lager.
Go & sign out the mess Webley.

I think you know what to do.

The word "meow".

A woman I work with has recently been brought a kitten, so I started to "meow" at her, as a windup.

I'm now unconsciously dropping it into general conversations, which had garnered me some odd looks, even after I've explained.

Meow!

Bastard!

Yokel

LE
The word "meow".

A woman I work with has recently been brought a kitten, so I started to "meow" at her, as a windup.

I'm now unconsciously dropping it into general conversations, which had garnered me some odd looks, even after I've explained.

Meow!

Bastard!
I think it is spelt MIAOW. Just saying.

Why are you saying it? Do you crave being cuddled and held by this woman? Do you yearn to spend many daylight hours curled up and asleep? Are you turning into a cat? Maybe you just want some pussy?

What would Freud say?

Latest Threads