Things that irritate me

Grownup_Rafbrat

LE
Book Reviewer
Probably wouldn't do as much harm as @Grownup_Rafbrat 's Wiltshire Toyota alleged Service Writer.
Sadly Salisbury is my nearest dealer, but I may look to travel further in future once I clarify that warranty work can be done at any dealership.

Tool

LE
Sadly Salisbury is my nearest dealer, but I may look to travel further in future once I clarify that warranty work can be done at any dealership.
Going back to your tyre rant:

Tyres on modern cars don't necessarily go with garage filling station tyre pumps. I broke the valve on my Toyota by using a garage filling station. According to the AA blerk, the valves are soft and break easily. Toyota have elected to use a single valve-and-gauge setup, cost £250, to replace. Other manufacturers have a two-part sensor and a broken valve replacement is about £15. I manged to source a replacement for £180 and Toyota fitted it for £24. Grrrr.

OneTenner

Old-Salt
Unless it's on a digital bus
Most aren't - but are often 'passenger classification devices' (they sense mass & position to determine if it's an adult, child or baby carrier plonked on the seat) and link into the restraints control module along with the seat belt latch status, which in turn broadcasts to the instrument pack, which puts the light on or off. Passenger classification devices are only currently mandated for leftpondians, often the seat hardware is the same to minimise production variations with the distinction being made in software or the CCF (car configuration file).

OneTenner

Old-Salt
Any dealer can do warranty work provided they are an 'authorised' dealer by the particular manufacturer - and despite what they'd have you believe, it doesn't have to be 'dealer serviced' to keep the warranty valid - see European Commission Regulation No. 1400/2002. Basically, as long as the servicing is carried out by a business (not an individual) using equivalent quality parts, correct grades of fluids and to the vehicle manufacturers published specification and documented as such, the dealer as the manufacturers representative cannot refuse to carry out warranty repairs - note, only the dealer can carry out warranty repairs, the independent garage that services your car in the warrant period is not entitled to carry out warranty repairs. TBH, i'd use genuine parts to save any arguments later on about the meaning of 'equivalent', consumables such as tyres & brakes will generally not affect warranty status if they are not 'genuine parts', dependent upon the vehicle and the warranty claim.
ETA - some vehicles leased through a manufacturer scheme, notably VWG, have dealer servicing as a clause in the lease T's & C's, if you own the vehicle outright or have finance to eventually own outright, this doesn't apply.

Last edited:
No particular order
  1. The advert with the two deaf women eating Maltesers. Nothing against deaf people but having to listen to them eating is beyond annoying.
  2. Any newspaper article that says, 'Bought about by climate change'. Once I've read that sentence you can fuck off as that's me, I'm out of there.

Bellends who sit parked on the opposite side of the road with headlights on at night blinding you as you approach.
Made worse by rain and councils fitting efficient (cheaper) LED street lights.

LED street lights rather than illuminating the street in a diffuse yellow light like the old sodium ones you now have little pools of white light along a pitch black street.

Fishbulb

Old-Salt
LED street lights rather than illuminating the street in a diffuse yellow light like the old sodium ones you now have little pools of white light along a pitch black street.
Yeah, light at the blue end of the spectrum is more readily diffused, so a lot of that efficient LED illumination doesn't make it as far as sodium would. I bet the distance between lampposts wasn't calculated with LEDs in mind

Blogg

LE
1. Somebody purchasing an item on grounds that it "looks nice" despite being told it is both expensive and from a manufacturer who (a) is struggling and known to have "value engineered" their products in recent years to the point they are utterly crap and (b) have cheaped out on customer service at the same time.

2. Being ignored.

3. Finding yourself being endlessly moaned at for "not sorting it" when the bloody thing inevitably dies after 6 months and being told after 5 weeks by the third numpty "Service Engineer" that the parts required are out if stock and will take at least 2 months to arrive.

This is of course:

1. Mrs B
2. AEG*
3. Me

Got another random earful at 06.00 this morning. I may have said rude things. Very loudly.

*Consider yourselves warned:

Grownup_Rafbrat

LE
Book Reviewer
1. Somebody purchasing an item on grounds that it "looks nice" despite being told it is both expensive and from a manufacturer who (a) is struggling and known to have "value engineered" their products in recent years to the point they are utterly crap and (b) have cheaped out on customer service at the same time.

2. Being ignored.

3. Finding yourself being endlessly moaned at for "not sorting it" when the bloody thing inevitably dies after 6 months and being told after 5 weeks by the third numpty "Service Engineer" that the parts required are out if stock and will take at least 2 months to arrive.

This is of course:

1. Mrs B
2. AEG*
3. Me

Got another random earful at 06.00 this morning. I may have said rude things. Very loudly.

*Consider yourselves warned:

I found AEG products to be less reliable than in the past when fitting the kitchen in my previous home, particularly the combination oven/microwave. As to Domestic and General who deal with their extended warranty, they are utterly inept and if they try hard they could attain incompetence!

Fuck me sideways, another woke buzzword from those cunts at the beeb.

Why can't they just use "spacker"?

Blogg

LE
I found AEG products to be less reliable than in the past when fitting the kitchen in my previous home, particularly the combination oven/microwave. As to Domestic and General who deal with their extended warranty, they are utterly inept and if they try hard they could attain incompetence!
The hated object is also an AEG microwave. It is so badly put together it leaked microwaves, fried it's own main circuit board. Everything needs replacing apart from outer casing and power supply.

Now formally rejected by me as unsafe and unfit for sale with request for full refund which they are now "considering" along with replacement like for like

I don't want it replaced: seen the innards and it is cobbled together with the cheapest Chinesium parts available

Grownup_Rafbrat

LE
Book Reviewer
The hated object is also an AEG microwave. It is so badly put together it leaked microwaves, fried it's own main circuit board. Everything needs replacing apart from outer casing and power supply.

Now formally rejected by me as unsafe and unfit for sale with request for full refund which they are now "considering" along with replacement like for like

I don't want it replaced: seen the innards and it is cobbled together with the cheapest Chinesium parts available
We got fobbed off by one engineer that a particular sensor was from a 'bad batch'. I asked how that worked with continuous production processes... it didn't go well!

Grownup_Rafbrat

LE
Book Reviewer
Middle aged women, and it is usually women, in a queue in a coffee shop, who wait until they have ordered their almond latte frappadoodle with syrup and told the server their life history before starting to look through their purses (three purses in this particular case) to find their loyalty card.

Is it me who is wrong, standing with cash and loyalty card in hand so as not to hold up the queue?

syrup

LE
Middle aged women, and it is usually women, in a queue in a coffee shop, who wait until they have ordered their almond latte frappadoodle with syrup and told the server their life history before starting to look through their purses (three purses in this particular case) to find their loyalty card.

Is it me who is wrong, standing with cash and loyalty card in hand so as not to hold up the queue?

The same women who also get to the front of the queue in a shop and then "forget" something.
Cue 20 minutes of her running and back to get twice as many items that she started with.
Then invariably comes the three purse routine

SWMBO has around 18/20 loyalty cards, in a "purse" roughly the size of Irish Sea.
This is why I always volunteer;) to find the best seat, pick up the napkins, sweeteners, and those stupid wooden stir sticks.
I have NO intention of EVER being within slapping distance of her when it's time " To Select the Effin' Card"

Yeah, light at the blue end of the spectrum is more readily diffused, so a lot of that efficient LED illumination doesn't make it as far as sodium would. I bet the distance between lampposts wasn't calculated with LEDs in mind
I hadn't considered the science behind it - oddly.

I was part of a (very biased) survey some academic from Manchester Uni did on white street lighting and perception of crime about a decade ago. Upshot was that (naturally) white lights came out the best and local council replaced the existing street lights on that deprived ward and its probably a cited paper for why we need white street lights.

My observations were that they were very bright but just didn't project like sodium so the lit streets were now pretty much in darkness.

Another fantastic 'green' improvement that doesn't work unless you add more lighting and increase power consumption and take it back to or beyond the savings replacing sodium lamps gave?

Fishbulb

Old-Salt
I hadn't considered the science behind it - oddly.

I was part of a (very biased) survey some academic from Manchester Uni did on white street lighting and perception of crime about a decade ago. Upshot was that (naturally) white lights came out the best and local council replaced the existing street lights on that deprived ward and its probably a cited paper for why we need white street lights.

My observations were that they were very bright but just didn't project like sodium so the lit streets were now pretty much in darkness.

Another fantastic 'green' improvement that doesn't work unless you add more lighting and increase power consumption and take it back to or beyond the savings replacing sodium lamps gave?
I can't see any reason (apart from academics) why redder LEDs couldn't be used. You could still give them a wider spectrum for better colour rendering compared to the monochromatic sodium output

Latest Threads