Things that irritate me

My parents bought some appliance or other and paid for the insurance. I told them it was a waste of money and my dad said "Oh, we get the whole premium back if we don't claim". I pointed out that this was impossible, but they were right, they got it all back a couple of years later, I saw the cheque.

I still don't know how that works.
That is mystifying, but true. I bought a £1500 tv from a local dealer and after asking loadsa questions, took out the extended warranty. Sure enough, I got the premium back at the end of term.
Richer Sounds do the same and I'm counting down the days on a surround system and OLED tv.
It must work on the interest, bugger all these days.

Grownup_Rafbrat

LE
Book Reviewer
What they’re selling is peace of mind to the risk averse.

I 9once did an audit of the various insurance covers I had and when I added it up I was paying out more than I ever got back.

The economists’ advice on insurance is only insure things you can’t afford to replace, or where there’s a legal obligation. That’s basically house and car insurance.
And SWMBO's life insurance . . . obviously.

Edit: Have you seen the price for a new patio?

Last edited:

Grownup_Rafbrat

LE
Book Reviewer
Bloody people whingeing on the News that they can't afford an electric car, even though they want one.

I have wanted an Aston Martin for over 50 years but can't afford it. Where's my news campaign???

And SWMBO's life insurance . . . obviously.
And your pets, insure your pets, my little Jack Russell had to have her near side rear leg operated on, £1500 worth, all I had to pay was the £90 excess, while I'd pay anything to keep both my dogs healthy it makes fiscal sense to insure them

anglo

LE
And your pets, insure your pets, my little Jack Russell had to have her near side rear leg operated on, £1500 worth, all I had to pay was the £90 excess, while I'd pay anything to keep both my dogs healthy it makes fiscal sense to insure them
You're right, one of the dogs where we go house sitting wrecked one of his back leg joints,
no change out of £7000

Grownup_Rafbrat

LE
Book Reviewer
******* Indian call centres.
It’s like speaking to a recorded message.
Ask em something that’s not on their script & it all turns to rat shit.
Scottish ones are as bad.Today I went through 'security' with some bint who could not help me, I could hardly understand her.She had to put me through to the security team, on hold for five minutes only to be told I would need to talk to the fraud team, again a voice I could barely understand.I gave up after five minutes of muzak.

Scottish ones are as bad.Today I went through 'security' with some bint who could not help me, I could hardly understand her.She had to put me through to the security team, on hold for five minutes only to be told I would need to talk to the fraud team, again a voice I could barely understand.I gave up after five minutes of muzak.
Was it Bagpipe moods?

Did they sound like this?

I went through to a French call centre to book some hotel rooms (in Uk, French chain). Couldn't have been more helpful. Even apologised when I commented the confirmation email was in French and offered to send it me in English. I said it didn't matter.

People who can somehow manage to listen to the same music day in and day out.

My work colleague in the cubicle next to mine listens to the same two CD's on repeat day in, day out. Add to that fact that this CD contains a few Christmas Carols that I've been hearing since June that have been sung by people who probably have to cry after they finish singing since it's so beautiful because they put their entire soul into it, it's really getting my goat.

My work colleague in the cubicle next to mine listens to the same two CD's on repeat day in, day out. Add to that fact that this CD contains a few Christmas Carols that I've been hearing since June that have been sung by people who probably have to cry after they finish singing since it's so beautiful because they put their entire soul into it, it's really getting my goat.
Well, while he's on a smoko, sneak in and swap his cds for something relaxing like err.... Motohead or Ramstein....

That'll make him jump!!

How are your diy skills?

How are your diy skills?
Quite good actually, been dreaming of building something like this to fry computers.

Then again, I shoot rifles. Decommisioning computers with firearms is a great way to relax at the end of the day.

EDIT: Forgot to mention I'm a ham radio operator. Would be easier bringing in my 100W transceiver in and tuning it up at full power on a dummy load next to her desk.

Last edited:

Latest Threads