Things that irritate me

Grownup_Rafbrat

LE
Book Reviewer
It is creeping into every facet. From TV shows (BBC are the worst) , adverts, every sport on Sky has to have a female presenter eg cricket they have Botham, Gower, Hussein, Holding, Warne, Atherton etc all legends of the game and some woman who played for England ladies, it just doesn’t compare.
Talk to Rachel Heyhoe-Flint about that. England ladies undefeated for years as the men lost match after match, series after series. I'd say it doesn't compare.

Grownup_Rafbrat

LE
Book Reviewer
Talk to Rachel Heyhoe-Flint about that. England ladies undefeated for years as the men lost match after match, series after series. I'd say it doesn't compare.
You’re normally on the ball, but that is a barking comparison! Hayhoe-Flint was indeed a great ambassador for Women’s Cricket, but was plying her trade between 1966-1978, when the standard of Women’s International Cricket was pretty dire (some would argue it still is).
In the same period, the male England team were being regularly steamrollered by teams like the West Indies in their prime, with their arsenal of truly outstanding pace bowlers. No comparison at all.

Mrsheeny

Old-Salt
I think you will find she did at various times. Also a hockey international and a director of Wolverhampton Wanderers FC.

I am not usually a vocal feminist but why not report successful sporting teams, cocks or no cocks?
Good on her for doing so.

But for me my issue is Sky pushing for the women to commentate on the men’s game when they’re aren’t qualified to do so.

I watched a programme about the Aussie golf commentator, Wayne Riley, who was a professional golfer in his day and he said when he first started commentating that how could he criticise or comment on players that were light years ahead of him as a player, and the same goes for other sports and commentators whether they were former players male or female that don’t measure up and are only there because of their sex and because of an agenda that a broadcaster is trying to push. There’s plenty women’s cricket on sky, i don’t have an issue with that commentary team being all female.

Grownup_Rafbrat

LE
Book Reviewer
Mosquitos.

Nasty biting little beggars that make your arm swell up and leak.

Mosquitos.

Nasty biting little beggars that make your arm swell up and leak.
I erected a new shed in Gnat Central (bottom of the garden) last week and 'applied' some Citronella oil, prior to starting. I say applied, but unknown to me, the bottle didn't have one of those plastic inserts in the neck, so I actually half emptied the bottle down my neck.
My next door neighbour could smell me from 20+ feet away.
Didn't get bitten, though.

Bollox

War Hero
AND yet the hand-wringers were giving it large last week over 'How could the cruel bastards bomb Nagasaki and Hiroshima?'
There was a good documentary about the bombings a few years ago. They took some of the actual B29 crew back to Nagasaki and Hiroshima to meet people who were there but didn't tell them who the Americans were.
A pre desription of the Nagasaki bombing explained how Nagasaki is built around two valleys that joined into one. This apex of the valleys was the aiming point so the blast wave would go up both valleys. They missed the aiming point with the bomb landing partially inside one valley which received the full blast wave leaving the second valley relatively unscathed.
Whilst talking to a Japanese doctor who was working in the local hospital when the bomb was dropped, he mentioned that at least the Americans were good enough to deliberately limit the damage to only one valley.
The B29 crewmen looked at each other and no one said a word.

Last edited:
It is creeping into every facet. From TV shows (BBC are the worst) , adverts, every sport on Sky has to have a female presenter eg cricket they have Botham, Gower, Hussein, Holding, Warne, Atherton etc all legends of the game and some woman who played for England ladies, it just doesn’t compare.
Well maybe not Gower

Not his choice apparently, no explanation given to him other than 'they're refreshing the line up'

Well maybe not Gower

Not his choice apparently, no explanation given to him other than 'they're refreshing the line up'
Inevitably, there will be a gradual reduction in the predominantly white, ex professional Sky panelist squad in order to tick the required boxes. Gower is the first in the queue (no problem with him being axed, as he is pretty boring in my opinion), but I expect the likes of Bumble and Michael Atherton will be looking over their shoulders. Paul Allott and Bob Willis were the first of the mob to be sidelined to the margins a few years ago.
End of the day, if you’re good enough, gender or race shouldn’t come into it, but it does.

Bracknell Forest are no longer publishing the orienteering map for Swinley Forest due to the extensive forestry work.

Fair enough but they have also removed the map from their website. Keep it available with a big red warning 'some points may not be available' sign. I had half a dozen and binned them last year thinking I could grab more whenever I wanted. Wankers.

Also, fucking grammarly. You would think a thesaurus hadn't been invented centuries ago. I don't mind adverts but when every single one is telling me "how hard it is to write" no it fucking isn't. All that is required is not being a fucking moron with a reasonable grasp of the English language.

Also, ******* grammarly. You would think a thesaurus hadn't been invented centuries ago. I don't mind adverts but when every single one is telling me "how hard it is to write" no it ******* isn't. All that is required is not being a ******* moron with a reasonable grasp of the English language.
It would appear that 99% of ARRSERS can string a sentence together in such a way that they get their meaning across.
No, it isn't Shakespeare or Dickens, but it serves the purpose, innit?

Grownup_Rafbrat

LE
Book Reviewer
It would appear that 99% of ARRSERS can string a sentence together in such a way that they get their meaning across.
No, it isn't Shakespeare or Dickens, but it serves the purpose, innit?
Always amazed me that folk I know who failed the 11+ and went to secondary modern schools (branded failures by the SJWs) can all read, write well, spell adequately, hold a sensible argument and fit into society. And hold down jobs for most of their lives.

Today's generation with their squillions of A* GCSEs, A levels that were taken in modules to make them easy, and University Degrees, can't write, spell, construct a reasonable argument, research anything unless it's on Wikipedia, or get a flipping job.

Education, Education, Education my arrse.

Nemesis44UK

LE
Book Reviewer
Things that annoy me - right on TV ads that have quotas to meet.

Eg the Vauxhall advert where two lesbians and one of them are pregnant? Oh aye luv, how did that happen? See darling, you can’t live your lives without men. I bet they’ve got a bath full of spiders and a cupboard full of jars with really tight lids.

Spotify/Magnum - I’ve downloaded spotify, and there was an advert on for Magnum ice cream where from the sounds of it it was a Chinese bloke who spends 95% of the advert saying he’ll get sent to jail for 10years for hugging his boyfriend in his own country, then at the end it says something about magnums.

The Co-op one where there a lad dressing up as a girl, he’s a transformer or something. And when you shop at Co-op it must put money to Liverpool transformers group or something to pay for extra strong duck tape for taping back his dangling bits when he goes out or something. Absolutely bonkers.

I don’t get how the companies think that’s going to make people want to buy their products by being so right on. Quite the opposite in my books, it makes me want to avoid those places for preaching.
How come homosexuals account for around 6% of this country's population, yet almost every advert and TV contains them?

ETA - Don't get me wrong, there's nothing wrong with it but it is over-represented on TV, radio, adverts etc.

Grownup_Rafbrat

LE
Book Reviewer
How come homosexuals account for around 6% of this country's population, yet almost every advert and TV contains them?
Same reason as BAME people feature in every advert despite being under 10% of the population. It helps them feel that products are for them too.

Or some such woke bollox.

Latest Threads