Things other countries get right.

Channel hopping today I came across a psychic who claims that they can read your dog‘s mind. I absolutely hate these psychics, astrologers and all that cosmic guff. To me it’s a big fraud.

Such utter bollöcks is outlawed in France and I applaud them for getting something right. I tried to think of something else that France gets right; nope I have nothing.

Finland has heated pavements, I don’t think anyone can argue this isn’t a good thing.

Germany has those toilets with a ledge in the pan so you can examine your shít. Not my thing, but controversially some of you weirdos are entertained by such things.

So, over to the widely travelled and fonts of all pointless knowledge denizens of ARRSE.

What do other countries get unarguably right?

What do other countries do that are we are going to have a good fücking argument about whether it’s right or wrong?

What do other countries do that are undeniably wrong, the none British backwards twàts?

Quickly off the top of my head.

France - bad - dog shit everywhere - really noticeable when you go from the UK now. Mates have a place in a beautiful village at the foot of the Pyrenees, stinks of shit and brown landmines everywhere. Minging.

Singapore - good - commit a crime, you will be punished. Social awareness and responsibility has been enforced enough that it's now instinctive and it works. Lots to be said for a benign dictatorship, however, comes with extreme risk.

exbluejob

LE
Book Reviewer
Finland has heated pavements, I don’t think anyone can argue this isn’t a good thing.
Dubai has some places with air conditioned pavements. Hhhhhhmmm!

Channel hopping today I came across a psychic who claims that they can read your dog‘s mind. I absolutely hate these psychics, astrologers and all that cosmic guff. To me it’s a big fraud.

Such utter bollöcks is outlawed in France and I applaud them for getting something right. I tried to think of something else that France gets right; nope I have nothing.

Germany has those toilets with a ledge in the pan so you can examine your shít. Not my thing, but controversially some of you weirdos are entertained by such things.

So, over to the widely travelled and fonts of all pointless knowledge denizens of ARRSE.

What do other countries get unarguably right?

What do other countries do that are we are going to have a good fücking argument about whether it’s right or wrong?

What do other countries do that are undeniably wrong, the none British backwards twàts?
Australia. Beaches frequented by fit, tanned, athletic milfs. Britain, beaches frequented by fat, sunburned whales who left their buggy by the chip shop.

Dread

LE
Hungary (good):
You're allowed to distill 50 litres of Palinka per annum per adult in your household before having to register/become liable for duty.

A new Hungarian passport takes 1 day (fast track) or maximum 10 days ('normal'). I've been waiting 11 weeks for my replacement UK passports.

Tax: no council tax and my income tax is 16%.

The price of petrol and diesel is capped at GBP 1.05 per litre.

Daz

LE
Where I lived, briefly, the local " cave", run by the local vine farmers' collective, produced eminently drinkable table wine at 1.30 euro per litre. The collective, which paid the vine growers year round, was only interested in selling the product for their benefit. Whether you turned up with a litre jug, a jerrican, or a road tanker, it all came from the same tank.
They also made some award winning rosee, at around 15 euro per litre, but for everyday quaffing with scoff the cheap stuff was more than good enough.

Bloater is

Old-Salt
Quickly off the top of my head.

France - bad - dog shit everywhere - really noticeable when you go from the UK now. Mates have a place in a beautiful village at the foot of the Pyrenees, stinks of shit and brown landmines everywhere. Minging.

Singapore - good - commit a crime, you will be punished. Social awareness and responsibility has been enforced enough that it's now instinctive and it works. Lots to be said for a benign dictatorship, however, comes with extreme risk.

+ 1 for Singapore, outstanding place

Whiny self entitled biting the hand that feeds you, Wales and Scotland.

That will have to go on the German shelf as the taffs and jocks will whine about it.

Unfortunately I used the term British instead of English which would have allowed us to disregard the whiny, self entitled hand biters.

That said, the jocks and taffs do get it right by poncing off the English.

The English get it wrong by letting them.

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
That will have to go on the German shelf as the taffs and jocks will whine about it.

Unfortunately I used the term British instead of English which would have allowed us to disregard the whiny, self entitled hand biters.

That said, the jocks and taffs do get it right by poncing off the English.

The English get it wrong by letting them.
Hopefully, not for much longer! FREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEDOMMMMMMMMMMMMMM!

Hairy-boab

War Hero
The French get some things right in education. Teachers believe strongly in their roles as representatives of the state, and are e.g. broadly supportive of bans on religious symbols etc.

Before the last election here, my kid's class were asking their teacher about the different candidates. She refused to be drawn, even when asked for an opinion on Zemnour/Le Pen etc. Her only comment was along the lines that the state does not permit her to impose her opinions upon her students.

Imagine that in the UK!

Edit: See above. In addition, the response to the murder of Samuel Paty was very touching. All classes stopped for the morning, and a message from the President was read to all students. This decried the murder in very strong terms as an attack on the republic and its values. I personally find it a bit dusty in our village when our kids line up to sing the Marseillaise on VE day or remembrance Sunday.

Classification - Brits do a bang up job of classifying everything, and then sneer at the lower classifications. It seems to pervade every aspect of life. Clothing brands. Car brands (and the characteristics of their typical drivers). Size of TV. How many TVs. Where in the country they live, or are from. Healthcare systems. Taxation systems. Beer. Personal electronics. Supermarket chains, even.

By way of example -

https://www.arrse.co.uk/community/threads/things-other-countries-get-right.310047/

Latest Threads