Things looking a bit dodgy for Carillion

No doubt they were the cheapest bidder.

These are the ones who took over the repair and upkeep of Surrey roads, again as lowest bidders. I notice the increased potholes and shit lanes every time I drive into Surrey. Good riddance to them, the only trouble is that they'll be replaced by someone just as shit, if not worse.

They are also supposed to be "delivering" HS2...

Talk of "shedding unprofitable contracts" aka "we had been underpricing to win work in the expectation of being able to jack it up via in contract adjustments and extras but got sussed out"

Shitload of debt and a £800m hole in the Pension Scheme to boot.

Brave talk of a Rights Issue to help that (with Pension Fund swallowing some of the issue...) but always clear that was never going to happen given the beating the existing shareholders had taken.

All talk of a White Knight solution long gone: nobody wants it.

Probably counting on a bail out of some sort, but that in political terms is about as welcome as a turd in a swimming pool

They were given the contract to built just under a mile of road, a replacement bridge and one small flyover in my local town. It took them eight years, countless excuses for delays and they had to take the flyover out and replace it because the original one wasn't strong enough to take HGVs. They also went many millions over budget and are being sued by the local council for taking the piss with their invoice.

The CarillionAmey MOD contract was a disaster waiting to happen, the applicants had to bid to win one of the regions, and as a condition of participating also the housing contract. So all of the companies applied for all of the regions hoping to win one, plus the housing - great plan, but hit a bit of a curve, when CarillionAmey won ALL of the regions and housing.

They were not expecting to win more than one area and the housing, so they suddenly found themselves with a heap of estate to manage and very little resources in place, and as the MOD had also cut the funding, there was no meat on the bone to make a profit. The woolly worded contract specifications set up by MOD doesn't help either, as it pretty much gives CarillionAmey a lot of loopholes to skip through, as most of the taskings were based on either 'We assume this is included' or 'Should be included'.

The only part of the FM contracts to come out of the exercise with any credibility was the training estate one won by Landmarc (Interserve mainly).

These are the ones who took over the repair and upkeep of Surrey roads, again as lowest bidders. I notice the increased potholes and shit lanes every time I drive into Surrey. Good riddance to them, the only trouble is that they'll be replaced by someone just as shit, if not worse.

In the MOD, who ever takes over these type of companies normally just change those at the top with their own people, the mongs providing the shit service tend to stay but wear different uniforms.

Last edited:
Is carillion a tribute band to Marillion? And furthermore Marillon could ****-king fix my house quicker blindfolded. All DHE contractors have been pretty **** when I was in the mob,,,, They bit more off than they can chew when they were given the contract, and Ive heard are still a crock of shit now....

jarrod248

LE
Gallery Guru
In the MOD, who ever takes over these type of companies normally just change the those at the top with their own people, the mongs providing the shit service tend to stay but wear different uniforms.
Due to TUPE regulations they have to take over the staff if they take over a contract.

They are also supposed to be "delivering" HS2...

Talk of "shedding unprofitable contracts" aka "we had been underpricing to win work in the expectation of being able to jack it up via in contract adjustments and extras but got sussed out"
That’s what you get if you Tender contracts on a lowest compliant bid strategy. Hard not to under EU rules but it produces inevitable outcomes.

From what I heard Carillion bid lowest on all the NGEC contracts - contracts to maintain the regional estate - without actually employing any contractors. Their great business plan was based on approaching all the existing contractors and telling them they'd be given continuation contracts if they cut their rates by 20%. Unsurprisingly everyone downed tools and Carillion had to go back cap in hand to DIO and re-negotiate all the contracts. The whole commercial team responsible should be hanging their heads in shame. Utter gash.
DIO awards estates contracts - GOV.UK

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
In the MOD, who ever takes over these type of companies normally just change the those at the top with their own people, the mongs providing the shit service tend to stay but wear different uniforms.
Due to TUPE regulations they have to take over the staff if they take over a contract.
I think he said that.

"Prime Contractors"

Ah, how I love them. Sit there in the middle taking their clip, acting as a selective filter between supplier and real client, tend to have leaden contracts, pedantic in house box wallahs with delusions of grandeur and lawyers and bean counters who have no idea of the realities of what the words and numbers turn into because they are not the end user.

Meanwhile the real client loses whatever skills they had and their senior management loses touch. Until it all goes tits up/costs soar and they cry:

"How can this be?"

Is carillion a tribute band to Marillion? And furthermore Marillon could ****-king fix my house quicker blindfolded. All DHE contractors have been pretty **** when I was in the mob,,,, They bit more off than they can chew when they were given the contract, and Ive heard are still a crock of shit now....
Carillion was an off-shoot of the construction group Tarmac, minus a few things like housebuilding and quarries.