Things I never knew and ended up surprised about

#1
Tonight, whilst out on the lash with another ex squaddie mate of mine, he mentioned that Gen Sir Peter DLB had once been a Private in an infantry Regt.

B0llocks says I. Although I have the absolute utmost respect for the mans career, knowing about his "them" service, MC, Malaya, Oman etc, etc, I did not beleive he had been a buck fcuk in the grunts.

Due to the wonders of modern technology I was able to Google it in the boozer on my phone and find out (to the cost of 2 double JD's for being wrong) that my cnut of a mate was actually right. Private in the KSLI in 1952. Extra Kudos to the man.

This really did catch me by surprise. Just wondered what other seemingly Tall Tales about our Mil that other members have heard have actually turned out to be proven true?
 
#3
If I remember correctly from his autobiography he was going to get called up for national service within a matter of months anyway but due to personal circumstances just decided to get on with it an enlisted. Must be one of only a handful to have campaign medals for the Korean and Gulf wars.
 
#4
I think this sort of thing was fairly common back in the day. There was a type of engagement called an O Type, where bright young men could enlist in the ranks for up to 6 years as potential officers. If by the end they have failed to pass RCB they can either be discharged or can convert to a normal engagment.

Indeed Tim Spicer of Sandline fame served in the ranks and went through the Guards Depot as a Guardsman before he got anywhere near Sandhurst
 
#6
Markintime said:
Two of my favourite facts are that Ronnie & Reggie Kray were both incarcerated in the Tower of London as soldiers and that Ollie Reed was in the RAMC which is probably where he learned to drink properly. He was turned down for a commission due to dyslexia.
Not quite right, they were based at the Tower with the Fusiliers but were banged up at Shepton Mallet (spl).
 
#7
rebel_with_a_cause said:
Markintime said:
Two of my favourite facts are that Ronnie & Reggie Kray were both incarcerated in the Tower of London as soldiers and that Ollie Reed was in the RAMC which is probably where he learned to drink properly. He was turned down for a commission due to dyslexia.
Not quite right, they were based at the Tower with the Fusiliers but were banged up at Shepton Mallet (spl).
They did serve 9 months at Shepton Mallet but also did more than one 7 or 14 day stint in the guardroom at Waterloo Bks in the Tower.
 
#8
Markintime said:
rebel_with_a_cause said:
Markintime said:
Two of my favourite facts are that Ronnie & Reggie Kray were both incarcerated in the Tower of London as soldiers and that Ollie Reed was in the RAMC which is probably where he learned to drink properly. He was turned down for a commission due to dyslexia.
Not quite right, they were based at the Tower with the Fusiliers but were banged up at Shepton Mallet (spl).
They did serve 9 months at Shepton Mallet but also did more than one 7 or 14 day stint in the guardroom at Waterloo Bks in the Tower.

Also, wombats have a pouch that faces backwards, so that they dont fill it with dirt when burrowing, Billy Connolly taught me that.
 
#9
Gren said:
Markintime said:
rebel_with_a_cause said:
Markintime said:
Two of my favourite facts are that Ronnie & Reggie Kray were both incarcerated in the Tower of London as soldiers and that Ollie Reed was in the RAMC which is probably where he learned to drink properly. He was turned down for a commission due to dyslexia.
Not quite right, they were based at the Tower with the Fusiliers but were banged up at Shepton Mallet (spl).
They did serve 9 months at Shepton Mallet but also did more than one 7 or 14 day stint in the guardroom at Waterloo Bks in the Tower.

Also, wombats have a pouch that faces backwards, so that they dont fill it with dirt when burrowing, Billy Connolly taught me that.
Thats probably more useful than knowing about the Krays life story but only marginally. :wink:
 
#10
It means you can creep up on them and warm your hand before they know your there :)
 
#11
rebel_with_a_cause said:
Gren said:
Markintime said:
rebel_with_a_cause said:
Markintime said:
Two of my favourite facts are that Ronnie & Reggie Kray were both incarcerated in the Tower of London as soldiers and that Ollie Reed was in the RAMC which is probably where he learned to drink properly. He was turned down for a commission due to dyslexia.
Not quite right, they were based at the Tower with the Fusiliers but were banged up at Shepton Mallet (spl).
They did serve 9 months at Shepton Mallet but also did more than one 7 or 14 day stint in the guardroom at Waterloo Bks in the Tower.

Also, wombats have a pouch that faces backwards, so that they dont fill it with dirt when burrowing, Billy Connolly taught me that.
Thats probably more useful than knowing about the Krays life story but only marginally. :wink:
I agree with you RWAC
 
#12
Gren said:
Markintime said:
rebel_with_a_cause said:
Markintime said:
Two of my favourite facts are that Ronnie & Reggie Kray were both incarcerated in the Tower of London as soldiers and that Ollie Reed was in the RAMC which is probably where he learned to drink properly. He was turned down for a commission due to dyslexia.
Not quite right, they were based at the Tower with the Fusiliers but were banged up at Shepton Mallet (spl).
They did serve 9 months at Shepton Mallet but also did more than one 7 or 14 day stint in the guardroom at Waterloo Bks in the Tower.

Also, wombats have a pouch that faces backwards, so that they dont fill it with dirt when burrowing, Billy Connolly taught me that.
Presumably helps with the backblast as well.

I once spent an evening debating which modern European country had had the most battles fought on its soil in the last 1000 years. The majority opinion was Italy, oddly enough. Personally, I went for Germany.
 
#14
The battles don't necessarily have to have been with other people :)
 
#16
Hantslad said:
I think this sort of thing was fairly common back in the day. There was a type of engagement called an O Type, where bright young men could enlist in the ranks for up to 6 years as potential officers. If by the end they have failed to pass RCB they can either be discharged or can convert to a normal engagment.
in the sixties it was 3 years which one could serve out after failing RCB.
 
#17
smartascarrots said:
The battles don't necessarily have to have been with other people :)
That'd be unfair for Italy - they'd count twice for WWII! Both sides and all that...

I have to admit I'd go for France. Germany didn't have many battles in WWI and France had just as many WWII. Add in the Franco-Prussian war and all the nasty stuff that went on before hand.

Most invaded country? Perhaps Belgium?
 
#18
crabby said:
smartascarrots said:
The battles don't necessarily have to have been with other people :)
That'd be unfair for Italy - they'd count twice for WWII! Both sides and all that...

I have to admit I'd go for France. Germany didn't have many battles in WWI and France had just as many WWII. Add in the Franco-Prussian war and all the nasty stuff that went on before hand.

Most invaded country? Perhaps Belgium?
But if you think of the last 1,000 years rather than just the last few big wars, Germany had a hell of a lot of fighting going on on its territory - big empires slugging it out for supremacy or local landsknechts having a spat. Italy had the big wars of the Renaissance period. France - well, a lot of wars fought on it's territory, usually badly and against foreign enemies.
 
#19
Knowing which country had the most 'battles' would be hard to tell. Wars maybe, but battles?!
Most Roman battles were longer than 1000 years ago and not on its own soil, so Italy is out for me, otherwise we could talk about the hundreds of Gaulish tribes in France around that time! But Napoleon had his fair share of battles and wars later on.
I would vote Germany as it used to be many states in the Holy Roman Empire, and Prussia had a fair few battles. As well as being the centre of Europe. But then there's Russia..... Bah forget it
 
#20
it is certainly true. I went to school with his daughter, who was a year below me, and sold my Politics and Philosphy books to her on leaving, asking that the cheque should be made out to my Dad.

Dad didn't really want to bank it, having served himself, and was in thrall of this man, having served in the ranks himself before his own commission, and a Korean veteran too.

Years later, I met Billiere in my club, and told him this story. It he was with some GW1 USAF general called Chuck, and they were planning some book or other.

The conversation went something like this, reference the cheque;

deB " I sincerely hope your Father banked the cheque"

LI "he did Sir, but I am afraid it bounced"

laughter all round, as they say in Privae Eye
 

Similar threads

Top