Things hotting up with Turkey

Kevll@r

Old-Salt
I was in a role for a number of years that covered the region - and Turkey - very closely until the end of 2016. I made this assessment based on hard facts and observations from colleagues in our Embassy in Ankara (including a stream of near-real time material from a well-known ex Arrser) as well as daily discussions with like-minded Allies in-country, so please excuse me for not believing your bat-$h!t crazy theories. Where are they derived from? Pravda? Greek-Cypriot newspapers?*

As I have pointed out before, Erdogn is not a dictator (don't worry, I'm no fan of his) but he has been successively democratically elected since being Mayor of Istanbul in the late 1990s. The run-up to General and Presidential elections hasn't always been even-handed, but he has brought prosperity to the working class across Turkey (his own background) rather than being the typical, secular, Western-oriented elite who have ruled since the days of Ataturk in the 1920s. However, as the last lot of elections have showed, his ruling AKP has lost most metropolitan and coastal areas to the CHP (Republican Peoples' Party) who have, unfortunately, yet to field a suitable presidential candidate.

*you forgot to add a common conspiracy theory at the time that 'England' had 20,000 troops pre-positions in Cyprus to seize key points and avenge the defeat of Gallipoli...
So you were either a journalist or working for our friends in the service? I respectfully disagree with your assessment- but at lest we agree that Erdogan is a baddie. He is a dictator- the elections were not legit, and have you seen his actions since the alleged coup?

*I ddn't forget- I don't talk shite if I can help it. Happy to be educated by better informed people though.

Kevll@r

Old-Salt
Has the UK made a commitment to Turkey? hs NATO?

Ok, described to me the mechanism to expel an ally from the Alliance - an ally that controls entry to the Black Sea and to two other NATO allies - Romania and Bulgaria, and regularly used the UK (see last year's programme on HMS Duncan in the Black Sea).
It will come down to Erdogan or the importance of the strategic position of Turkey.. guess who will go?

So you were either a journalist or working for our friends in the service? I respectfully disagree with your assessment- but at lest we agree that Erdogan is a baddie. He is a dictator- the elections were not legit, and have you seen his actions since the alleged coup?

*I ddn't forget- I don't talk shite if I can help it. Happy to be educated by better informed people though.
I can assure you I am not a journalist; I was invalided out of the RAF last year.

Well he seems to have made an enemy of America, Russia, Iran and Israel

What is going to do next, write his own book on how to win friends and influence people?
Called 'The Art of the Dealer'?

Kevll@r

Old-Salt
As a rather senior chap said in government "geography doesn't change."
My fave quote from the top was from First Sea Lord Leach after the Falklands invasion, when Thatcher hesitated: Leach brushed aside serious doubts from the Secretary of State for Defence Sir John Nott and addressed the Prime Minister on the appropriate course of action. The Chief of the Defence Staff at the time was on his way back from a foreign visit, and in addressing the Prime Minister, Leach effectively bypassed the Acting Chief of the Defence Staff.

When he was asked if retaking the islands was possible, he replied:

"Yes we can recover the islands."

He then added "and we must!"

Thatcher replied "Why?"

Leach exclaimed- "Because if we do not, or if we pussyfoot in our actions and do not achieve complete success, in another few months we shall be living in a different country whose word counts for little."

The task force was sent.

How much pussyfooting we have done since....and I wonder what our word counts for now?

My fave quote from the top was from First Sea Lord Leach after the Falklands invasion, when Thatcher hesitated: Leach brushed aside serious doubts from the Secretary of State for Defence Sir John Nott and addressed the Prime Minister on the appropriate course of action. The Chief of the Defence Staff at the time was on his way back from a foreign visit, and in addressing the Prime Minister, Leach effectively bypassed the Acting Chief of the Defence Staff.

When he was asked if retaking the islands was possible, he replied:

"Yes we can recover the islands."

He then added "and we must!"

Thatcher replied "Why?"

Leach exclaimed- "Because if we do not, or if we pussyfoot in our actions and do not achieve complete success, in another few months we shall be living in a different country whose word counts for little."

The task force was sent.

How much pussyfooting we have done since....and I wonder what our word counts for now?
What has the Falklands, which was British territory, inhabited by British subjects invaded by a South American dictator, got to do with Britain in relation to Turkey and Syria?

What has the Falklands, which was British territory, inhabited by British subjects invaded by a South American dictator, got to do with Britain in relation to Turkey and Syria?
Were you infantry when you served ?

No, not in the Regulars, only in TA Para.
The answer to your question lies in a clear message sent out by a sovereign nation that it will do everything in its powers to uphold its values on the international stage.

The answer to your question lies in a clear message sent out by a sovereign nation that it will do everything in its powers to uphold its values on the international stage.
Yes I understand that in relation to the Falklands. However it is unlikely (very) that we will get involved in any action against Syria against Assad, especially in support of Turkeys adventures. Values on the international stage or not.

The bottom line has been 'is this in our interests'. And if Uncle Sam decides its not in his interest, I doubt if we will play. We have cut Defence too much.

Who was it who allegedly said "there are no votes in defence". Clue: it wasn't a Labour Chancellor.