Things everyone else hated but you enjoyed.

They might have been the St Ivel things that @don't tell him pike suggested. They seem to fit the bill in many respects. I never much cared for them as a child and probably still wouldn't.

I do remember now a different variety of Dairylea. I think it only came in oblong tubs. It was more orangey in colour than the usual Dairylea. It might have been called Dairylea Cheddar or something. Apart from a difference in artificial colouring, I don't remember much difference in flavour, or anything else, from the regular stuff.

There must be cheese lovers tearing their hair out reading this.

ETA: These brands ring a couple of bells.

View attachment 610629View attachment 610628
Swiss Chalet, almost certain that is the brand.

Anything with Bernard Matthews or Herta on the label and you know that it is something that has been as industrially processed as it is possible to be without actually having to stick a Hazchem warning label on it.

It doesn't take much for me these days. I got into severe trouble recently when I absent mindedly fed myself a dry bread roll. I went into an almost immediate fit of violent hiccoughs and my oesophagus went into such a spasm that I was unable to swallow any of the water I sipped in order to relieve the situation.

I won't be doing that again in a hurry.

It might have been, although I thought that it might have been something more continental and with some kind of a rustic picture on the box/labels. Those look a bit modern but the packaging may have changed along the way. The last label looks like an earlier design than the others.

Some of the flavours seem quite familiar, though.
20000037.jpg

thanks, but i'd rather just avoid eating the sh*t food, rather than treat the heartburn!
My wife and I have been quite ill for the last week so have not been really cooking. We've had a few take-outs, but have also eaten some pretty basic stuff that we keep in the house for emergencies, like tinned goulasch soup and microwave nasi goreng. Today we both agreed that we can feel it and are determined to have fish and veg tomorrow, no matter how rough we feel.

The two things that I like that everyone else hates are Paris Hilton and liver, but not necessarily at the same time or in any specific order.

Liver's just lush, but no-one else in my family likes it so we never eat it.

Paris Hilton is not only hot but I like her character. For years I thought, like everyone else, that she had started at the top and was slowly working her way down to the gutter. A while ago I realised that she is really canny and was playing one hell of a part, which the public bought into completely. She's made tens of millions doing just that and has to be admired for her business sense and understanding of the fault lines in modern media. I like her, smart woman.

ca
I think that it's an American carbonated version of sarsaparilla cordial, a soft drink once popular on these shores but now largely lost to history.

I think that it's one of those things you need to like in order to like it.
Can (could) get sarsparilla cordial in Tesco's and the Temperence PLace in Southwark..and someplace in Leeds> It were on t'telly a couple of weeks back.

Root beer. I like it and seek it out when in the US or Canada. Keep a few bottles in the hotel fridge for a quick burst of refreshment now and then.

Others seem to be quite vociferous in their dislike.

You remind me! When Macdonalds opened in London around 1977, the drinks menu included rootbeer (unlikely that there were any traces of actual root in it). Tried it and quite liked it, despite the fact that like Dr Pepper, its taste had tones reminiscent of dentists' mouthwash.
I don't think it caught on in the UK at all.

Last edited:
Love the stuff but there is an Australian version of Root Beer in the local ASDA (Other supermarkets are available) but tastes sh1t. not like the root beer you would get in USA, but my youngest has found a place on the interweb where he buys me 24 cans for Christmas every year - excellent. Only another couple of months and i will have my annual restock.
I always thought Bunderburg did a nice sarsaparilla .

My wife and I have been quite ill for the last week so have not been really cooking. We've had a few take-outs, but have also eaten some pretty basic stuff that we keep in the house for emergencies, like tinned goulasch soup and microwave nasi goreng. Today we both agreed that we can feel it and are determined to have fish and veg tomorrow, no matter how rough we feel.

The two things that I like that everyone else hates are Paris Hilton and liver, but not necessarily at the same time or in any specific order.

Paris Hilton is not only hot but I like her character. For years I thought, like everyone else, that she had started at the top and was slowly working her way down to the gutter. A while ago I realised that she is really canny and was playing one hell of a part, which the public bought into completely. She's made tens of millions doing just that and has to be admired for her business sense and understanding of the fault lines in modern media. I like her, smart woman.
About 20 years ago, the wife dragged me off to see her friends in Germany.
After a week or so of the Frau's cooking and heavy nights out, we left to drive home via a couple of days in Ostend.
On the way my wife asked what I felt like for dinner. My reply was exactly the same as yours. "I don't care but it has to be fish and loads of veg".
As to liver, I was put off it for many years by my Gran, she served it, shall we say extremely rare. It certainly slid down, bleurgh!

TamH70

MIA
On the Toast Toppers thing, and whether or not they are still in production, I regret to inform the good people of ARRSE that they were discontinued by Heinz in 2014. Any tins still out there that are as yet unopened should therefore not have their contents consumed on opening, as they are undoubtedly by now at least a Biosafety Level 3 hazard to health.

From Spangles to toast toppers here's the discontinued food you would like to bring back

Reports with varying degrees of reliability indicate that Campbell's condensed soup may form a sufficiently alike substitute for spreading on one's bits of bread for toasting.

PH was the heiress to the Hilton hotel chain and managed to get herself written out of her grandfather's will due to her stupid behaviour.

What exactly has she achieved? She could have used her time and obscene wealth to help people rather than being a self-obsessed narcissist.

As with other things, it was school dinners that left me with a lifelong aversion to liver (as well as other offal). School dinners liver was from the pig, complete with its internal tubing, so tough you could sole boots with it and with that characteristic sour, metallic flavour and smell that still has me reaching for a bucket. I don't remember any of my contemporaries rubbing their hands together in delighted anticipation and exclaiming, "Oh, goodee! Liver."

Curiously, I'm fine with liver pate (the finer cut the better).

I don't remember ever being served with anything called Paris Hilton. Perhaps we called it something else.

Even pig's liver can be greatly improved by getting it in strips or chunks, the crap cutting out, then soaked in a bowl of water, with an eggcupful of white vinegar for an hour..... it neutralises the ammonia.

On the other hand, calf's liver can be treated like good steak, and just cooked for a short while...... really tasty.

sirbhp

LE
Book Reviewer
Has anyone mentioned the Labour pary ? I jest luvre it .