Things Canadian.

Someone is apparently making fake toonies and passing them off.
Fake toonies discovered in Hawkesbury, Ont.
These were found in a small town in eastern Ontario, on the Ottawa River.

They are of very poor quality with a number of glaring mistakes, but I'm still surprised that it is worth anyone's effort to counterfeit toonies.

fake-toonies.jpg

Someone is apparently making fake toonies and passing them off.
Fake toonies discovered in Hawkesbury, Ont.
These were found in a small town in eastern Ontario, on the Ottawa River.

They are of very poor quality with a number of glaring mistakes, but I'm still surprised that it is worth anyone's effort to counterfeit toonies.

View attachment 631493
Had to look that up. It's been so long since I've been north of the border (1985) that I can still remember 1 and 2 CDN dollar bills. No doubt the coin is harder wearing. Yeah, the counterfeit coins display a distinct lack of effort into making them more like the genuine article for ease of passing. It's like the crooks didn't care. :?

"Toonie" is a portmanteau word combining the number "two" with the name of the loonie, Canada's one-dollar coin. It is occasionally spelled "twonie" or "twoonie ...
Composition: 1996–2012; outer ring; 99% Ni; i...
Value: 2.00 CAD
Thickness: 1.75 mm
Diameter: 28 mm

Toonie_-_back.png
Toonie_-_front.png

Bottom right looks more like some Roman Emperor than Lilibet
I suspect that whomever made the coin copied the image off another coin from somewhere, perhaps Europe. In fact I wonder if the middle part of the coin is actually a modified coin from somewhere in Europe, possibly an obsolete coin (replaced by the euro). The left hand sample as a fair bit of wear to it.

Someone could have bought up a pile of withdrawn coins as scrap metal, punched the centre out of it to remove the writing around the periphery, and then pressed it into a newly made ring to make something that looks sort of like a toonie.

To me it looks like a lot of hassle just to make toonies. You would have to make quite a few to make it the perfect caper.

I barely use cash now and I can’t remember when I last used coins.

To me it looks like a lot of hassle just to make toonies. You would have to make quite a few to make it the perfect caper.

I barely use cash now and I can’t remember when I last used coins.

Probably some time before cash was banned due to Covid? I put a toonie in the local carwash the other day.

Otherwise, not much use for toonies nowadays.

Probably some time before cash was banned due to Covid? I put a toonie in the local carwash the other day.

Otherwise, not much use for toonies nowadays.
I use them all the time, they're a very useful coin for purchases under $10.

By the way, there is a scam going around where someone will stand outside the door of a mall in front of a fake taxi and tell people that the taxi driver won't take cash because of COVID-19, but that this person only has cash. He will then ask you to pay the "taxi driver" with debit and he will repay you with cash.

It all seems to go well until you find out that your debit card has bee switched for another by sleight of hand and the "debit terminal" was a fake which only recorded your PIN. Your actual debit card has by then been used to make as many purchases as they can get away with.

The moral of the story is, pay with cash unless you are sure you trust the vendor.

I use them all the time, they're a very useful coin for purchases under $10.

By the way, there is a scam going around where someone will stand outside the door of a mall in front of a fake taxi and tell people that the taxi driver won't take cash because of COVID-19, but that this person only has cash. He will then ask you to pay the "taxi driver" with debit and he will repay you with cash.

It all seems to go well until you find out that your debit card has bee switched for another by sleight of hand and the "debit terminal" was a fake which only recorded your PIN. Your actual debit card has by then been used to make as many purchases as they can get away with.

The moral of the story is, pay with cash unless you are sure you trust the vendor.
Accepting counterfeit, cash is most definitely the safest form of payment but has all but gone. Couple of years I would think at most.

I checked Mrs Gouty’s tires the other day, and there was even an interac for the $2 on that.

Accepting counterfeit, cash is most definitely the safest form of payment but has all but gone. Couple of years I would think at most.

I checked Mrs Gouty’s tires the other day, and there was even an interac for the $2 on that.
I see plenty of cash used wherever I do my shopping. Event the newer automatic check-out machines (installed in the past year near me) take cash.