Things Canadian.

Who's who in Justin Trudeau's 2021 cabinet
  • As previously rumoured, Harjit Sajjan has been shifted from Defence and is now Minister of International Development .
  • Anita Anand now has the Defence portfolio having moved from government services and procurement.
  • Chrystia Freeland remains in post as deputy PM and Minister of Finance.
  • Francois-Philippe Champagne remains in Science and Commerce.
  • Mélanie Joly takes over Foreign Affairs.
  • Dominic LeBlanc retains Intergovernmental Affairs.
  • Lawrence MacAulay remains in Veterans Affairs
  • Mary Ng remains in Trade.

This is a follow up to previous posts about the water supply in Iqaluit. Iqaluit is the capital of Nunavut territory, and is located on southern Baffin Island.
City of Iqaluit says historical fuel spill likely source of drinking water contamination

The water supply was found to have been contaminated by some sort of hydrocarbon fuel. The city (more of a town really) was without a water supply and water had to be distributed by trucks.

The source of the contamination was found to be an old fuel tank that was located between the water treatment plant and the adjacent blasted out bedrock. The tank apparently rusted out and the fuel leaked from there into one of the water storage tanks.

They suspect the fuel tank has been there since the 1960s. They don't know why the tank was there or how it got there. They are currently investigating.

The affected water storage tank has been bypassed and the water system is being flushed out. The municipal water supply can now be used for laundry, washing dishes, bathing, and the like, but not for drinking or cooking. The remaining problems are being worked on.

City workers and residents had been getting water directly from the Sylvia Grinnell River, but as that is beginning to freeze over they needed to find another solution. The Canadian Armed Forces sent portable reverse osmosis water purification units to the city over the weekend.

This is a very curious case that I will be interested in knowing how it turns out.
While investigating allegations of a fake psychologist, police charge a real one

The Ottawa municipal police have a psychologist who does things like assessments of whether police personnel are fit for duty.

Const. Kimberly Cadarette had been complaining about sexual harassment. She was taken off duty and sent for an assessment. The assessment was leaked and she said ruined her career.

She was suing the Ottawa Police Service (OPS) over this. During a Zoom conference with her legal team however, the psychologist who supposedly wrote the report on her, Dr. Ronald Frey, denied having written the report.

The CBC brought the two of them together, and in a video which can be found in the story, we can see Cadarette saying she had never met him before in her life. Frey also denied having met Cadarette before (this is in person, as opposed to what I assume is the Zoom conference).

In interviews with Cadarette's lawyers and with CBC, Frey has repeatedly denied meeting her and writing the fit-for-duty report.

"I want to be clear that I didn't assess her," said Frey in his television interview. He called the techniques outlined in the report "atypical … unethical," and expressed concern that what happened to Cadarette was "probably criminal."

Frey complained to the OPS that someone had impersonated him on this and another occasion.

The OPS asked the York Regional Police (YRP, near Toronto) to investigate.

After complaining to the OPS, Dr. Frey also complained to the police regulatory board, the Office of the Independent Police Review Director (OIPRD).

Frey told the OIPRD that he suspected he had been impersonated by a member of the OPS and he said the OPS failed to investigate the complaint until it started to make the news.

Frey does assessments for multiple police services, including the RCMP, as well as for border services and the DND (defence). He looks at things such as when someone has suffered from traumatic stress can return to work and carry a firearm.

And then things got even more interesting. The YPS proceeded to arrest Dr. Frey. Not a lot of details have come out. The OPS refer the news media to the YRP, and the YRP say that if anyone has a complaint they should talk to the OIPRD (not that doing the latter seems to have helped Frey much).

I don't know what has happened here, but it all looks very curious indeed.

And the sharks continue to circle around Jason Kenney, premier of Alberta.
Alberta politics takes another wild turn as Brian Jean re-enters the political arena

Brian Jean has announced that he's back in politics and he has Kenney's job in his sights.

Jean was head of the Wild Rose Party, who were rivals to the Alberta Progressive Conservatives (the Progressive Party were an earlier populist party who merged with the Conservatives about 100 years ago).

A deal was made to merge the two parties at a time when both were in opposition, the NDP having come to power after the series of scandals which had rocked the Conservative government had tried the patience of the public beyond endurance.

Kenney had returned from federal politics after seeing the writing on the wall for the Harper government and helped to broker the deal. The name of the merged party was to be the United Conservative Party (UCP).

There was then a vote for the leadership of the merged party, with Kenney and Jean being the leading contenders. The campaign was rife with allegations of electoral fraud on the party of Kenney's team. The RCMP were called in to investigate.
Investigation into Jason Kenney's UCP leadership campaign spreads
RCMP investigation into alleged UCP leadership voter fraud expands to Edmonton

The investigation seemed to get thoroughly sat on however once Kenney got hold of the reins of power in an election which saw the UCP return to power and the NDP back in opposition. Brian Jean retired from politics and bided his time.

Now Brian Jean is back and announced he intends to run in his old riding in Fort McMurray (in northern Alberta, and the centre of the oil sands industry) in a by-election which must be called in the next few months.

Kenney has made a mess of everything he's touched, other than anything associated with using the system to hang on to power. He is one of the new generation of Conservatives who went straight from university (which he failed to finish) and into lobbying and politics.

He is currently the most unpopular premier in Canada. Most political analysts believe that the Conservatives have no hope of winning the next election in Alberta (due in 2023) if Kenney is still party leader.

Brian Jean said the same in his announcement of his return to politics.
"You spoke and I listened," said Jean in his Facebook I-have-returned announcement Wednesday evening. "Something must be done or Rachel Notley will win the next election with an overwhelming majority."

The news article said that Kenney's best chance of fending off Jean is to prevent him from getting the riding nomination. It's not clear how Kenney would do that, but it is the sort of thing which is his style (read about some of the dodgy things he did to win the party leadership).

If Jean doesn't get the UCP riding nomination, he can still run as an independent. He is well regarded in the area, so his chances of winning the by-election are actually pretty good, especially given how unpopular Kenney is.

Once in the legislature he would be Kenney's worst nightmare if he were allowed free rein. There are other UCP MLAs looking to eject Kenney as well.

When Kenney won election I said (it might have been on this thread) that Alberta had some big problems to deal with and that Kenney was not the man to deal with them. He's an idiot with a singular skill of a very finely honed sense of short term self-preservation.

His ejection form politics in Alberta could only be a good thing for the province. The one possible fly in the ointment is that he may engineer a return to federal politics and afflict the federal Conservatives at a time when they have enough problems of their own to deal with.

clothears

War Hero
Nah, JK won't return to federal politics. He was kept hidden during the last election. No man of the people appearances in his rented blue pick up. Him using a Ram just confirmed my belief that the Ram is the pickup choice of *********.

JK has mismanaged COVID the entire time. All he ever had to do was get his doses during a photo-op. Instead he disappears. Local rumour has it his August vacation was to Europe with his "partner". Why stay home and run a sinking ship?

Nope, he's back off to Ontario when he's decided not to run again. Collect his pensions and pick up a few board memberships and he's comfy. Might even be able to leave his Mum's basement.

For all of his man of the people, just regular folks act, he's never seen around Edmonton, is never seen with any family members. I think the UCP keep him in a closet and just wind him up and send him out every so often.

I mean he's just a regular guy who drinks JD on the terrace with a few MLAs during social distancing measures.

Here's a lengthy McLean's article on Jason Kenney's sinking political fortunes and his mismanagement of the pandemic in Alberta.
Jason Kenney is sinking. How it all went wrong for him

The article talks about how highly regarded Kenney was for his political acumen at one time. While that may have been the case in Alberta, I never got the impression that he was ever held in very high regard by many people outside of Alberta. In fact he always came across as an idiot to me.

Here's a post I made about him in 2018 near the beginning of this thead (post 62):

I called him "a blowhard and an unscrupulous opportunist". I also gave examples of what a poor job he did as defence minister, and how he screwed over a senior general in order to try to cover up for his own lying when he got found out.

I said he made a career in federal politics out of making other people take the blame for his mistakes. I said that Alberta had enough problems without Kenney, and called him "an empty bag of wind".

You don't have to dig very hard to find more examples from Kenney's career where he would be economical with the truth and then throw someone else under the bus when the truth came out. If he did it once or twice it might be possible to overlook it, but he's made a career out of it. If asked to list his actual genuine accomplishments outside of political self-promotion on the other hand, you would be hard pressed to find many. He is one of that breed of modern politician who went straight from university (which he never completed) to go straight into politics.

Alberta has enough problems without Kenney. He's an empty bag of wind.

I suspect that a lot of people on Ontario would have agreed with me on this. How and why he ever got the job of leading Alberta is something that I found profoundly difficult to understand.

Bit of a kerfuffle in BC at the moment. Two black bear cubs have made temporary tree homes in two local neighborhoods. The Conservation officer is getting lots of stick for talking about them being offed as they probably won’t survive winter. He’s also pissed that people calling him are passing his contact info on and quoting him.
Now Vancouver and local TV stations have got in on it with former Mayor Rothenberger weighing in on his show.

F7878409-268A-4171-99C0-95C10FAA2D92.jpeg

That fact that this poor bugger, who was standing outside our bedroom for this pic, was later shot just up the road by CO’s last year isnt helping.

Attachments

• 2015A773-D1C5-4384-9AD4-20A24FCB1C95.jpeg
    2015A773-D1C5-4384-9AD4-20A24FCB1C95.jpeg
    313.5 KB · Views: 10
Here's a CTV news report on it. The most notable thing is that Walmart has known about the problem for months from complaints in Europe but didn't pull the product from sale in Canada for the Christmas season. The song apparently is also pirated music,, so Walmart are selling dodgy goods. Walmart are blaming everything on a third party.

Wiarton Willie is dead. His death was kept secret for 9 months and is only being announced today.
Yet another Wiarton Willie is dead. Here's a look at the strange history behind the beloved groundhog

Who is Wiarton Willie you ask? He's a groundhog in Wiarton Ontario who is used to predict the arrival of spring. There have been a succession of Willies over the years, so a replacement will no doubt be arranged for him in time for the next time a performance is required.

Wiarton is a small town in the Bruce Peninsula northwest of Toronto. The annual groundhog spring prediction is a publicity gimmick used to promote the tourist industry.

Wiarton Willie is dead. His death was kept secret for 9 months and is only being announced today.
Yet another Wiarton Willie is dead. Here's a look at the strange history behind the beloved groundhog

Who is Wiarton Willie you ask? He's a groundhog in Wiarton Ontario who is used to predict the arrival of spring. There have been a succession of Willies over the years, so a replacement will no doubt be arranged for him in time for the next time a performance is required.

Wiarton is a small town in the Bruce Peninsula northwest of Toronto. The annual groundhog spring prediction is a publicity gimmick used to promote the tourist industry.
Noooooo. Now that truly is sad news. RIP Willie. And long live the new one !!

Edit to add: See below for a post on this topic with a better news story linked to it.

General Wayne Eyre has been appointed as chief of defence staff. He had previously been acting head. Eyre had previously been head of the army.
Gen. Wayne Eyre named permanent chief of defence staff

Gen. Wayne Eyre can drop the word "acting" from his title. Today, Prime Minister Justin Trudeau appointed him chief of the defence staff — the top position in Canada's military — on a permanent basis.

Most of the rest of the story is on issues other than Eyre's appointment.

Last edited:
After the epic floods in BC, followed by more epic floods in Newfoundland and northern Nova Scotia, there are more epic floods on their way to BC. Hundreds of military personnel are in BC helping out.
Storm system set to soak regions of B.C. recovering from floods and mudslides
Crews working 'as fast and as safely as possible' to repair Cape Breton roads, bridges

Anyone headed to BC would be advised to be able to swim. It might also be a good idea to check local conditions before setting out to see if it is possible to get where you are going.

The US have increased duty on Canadian lumber exports to the US to 17.9 per cent. This is not a big surprise, as new elections are coming up in the US next year and this is a politically sensitive industry in the US.
U.S. hikes duty on Canadian softwood lumber to 17.9% — twice the old rate
Officials from various Canadian governments and the lumber industry are expressing disappointment that the U.S. has decided to go ahead with a plan to double the amount of duty it imposes on softwood lumber that comes from Canada.

On Wednesday, the U.S. Department of Commerce said it will proceed to impose duties of 17.9 per cent, on average on softwood lumber imported from Canada. That's twice the previous 8.99 per cent rate.

Lumber is a major export in Canada and the US is the biggest market. The US have claimed that Canadian lumber production is subsidized, but multiple international trade panels have ruled against the US repeatedly over the decades on that issue. The US however simply ignore rulings that don't suit them.

As I've said previously, despite the change in government MAGA is alive and well in the US, just wearing a better tailored suit. This is one of many outstanding issues that Canada has with the US and which show little sign of having a resolution.

So it's your version of Punxsutawney Phil then? What's the drama? I should think it would be no problem to source a new groundhog? :?

Bill Murray.JPG

Latest Threads